New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-23-2023, 07:15 AM   #1959
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Then there are the folks that live in older parts of large cities that don't have a garage and must rely on street parking. This issue has been popping up where people want/expect a dedicated parking spot in front of their home so they can install some form of charging. Municipalities who are pro-EV are denying these requests. There are significant hurtles to overcome if governments expect 100% adoption.
They seem to just be ignoring or worse denying these facts. Of course five minute charging will fix all of this. There will be no need for home charges at that point. Without five minute charging, the threads token troll can lolololol all he wants but EV will never be more than an addition to a middle middle or upper middle class Family’s ice fleet mostly for “hey look at me I’m a green” reasons at neighborhood tofu parties. Dumb ass executive branch mandates like Mr. Trolls favored 2035 are reversed all the time by future executive branches when it becomes obvious the mandate is impossible to achieve. Remember, this is America not the EU. We have one executive government here that changes hands every four years. We are not subject to an overlord continental government like European countries are.

I have 6 cars at my house. 3 are mine . I absolutely have considered getting an EV for my wife to replace her X3 in the near future. Probably a Porsche Taycan 4S or some other SUV type EV. I will be replacing my house electrical panel to a 200 amp service so I can have an electrical charger set up in the near future if I need it. So idea of me being against electric vehicles is of course total Barbara Streisand. I’ve already stated a half a dozen times what I’m against.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17309.00
      04-23-2023, 09:22 AM   #1960
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Doesn’t really sound like a choice.

From the first link:

“ Rising penalties on internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles are cited as the main driver to buy an EV in the UK (46%), followed by environmental concerns (45%).”
You can pay more to pollute with an ICE, or over the full lifecycle less if you have an EV. The government in the UK is incenting clean air in cities via the tax on fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Interesting if you don’t have a pulse and owning a car with an IPad glued to the dash is considered “technology” and “Luxury”

It’s clear we all have different values and tastes, if what some people have can be called that.
I think the horse and cart brigade felt the same way when the internal combustion engine first came along
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 09:36 AM   #1961
Ghostrider.1127
Ghostrider
Rep
Drives: M140iX,Z4M40i,M8 comp,M2g87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
In Europe people are free to buy what they want, but the cost of running EVs is substantially lower there compared with ICEs, even when the higher purchase price is taken into account.
that´s was two years ago....
      04-23-2023, 09:36 AM   #1962
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Was this written by ChatGPT?
I guess when someone provides a well researched and FACTUAL response you assume it is a response by Chatgpt. Some of us in this country still place a great value on education, perhaps you should try it sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #1963
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
I guess when someone provides a well researched and FACTUAL response you assume it is a response by Chatgpt. Some of us in this country still place a great value on education, perhaps you should try it sometimes.
Or we just at the point of AI development that an AI can simulate someone with deep insights and unbiased views

This thread though…

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #1964
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider.1127 View Post
Still is now, but the incentives will obviously disappear as the momentum behind BEVs displaces ICEs from the market and the grid and renewal electricity generation have to adapt. It is unlikely the cost per km/mile of the same class and age of ICE will ever be below that of a BEV again. https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/1...-vs-refuelling
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 09:57 AM   #1965
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Funny how you truncated my post to leave out the answer to your question; I already stated this in that post, "It is unrefutably clear that the Government is forcing the creation of the EV market. The most recent examples are the $5B Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill, and just this past week, the EPA's new proposed emissions regulations." Oh, I should have included the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. That's where Uncle Sam reupped on the $7,500 (max) EV tax rebate.
Sometimes the government needs to get into industrial policy. Our economic competitors, China, Japan, Korea and even the EU all have industrial policies in place that support nascent but vital industries of the future. If we did not do the same we would be left behind. If we do not support the EV industry today, it is not going to prevent the transition to electric vehicles. All you would be doing is to ensure the vehicles everyone will be driving in 20 years will be from China, Japan, Korea and Germany. Also, advances in technology will have far broader impacts than just EVs. Being able to make more compact, lighter and efficient batteries will effect hundreds of industries. How can we afford not to subsidize and incentivize American industry to pursue these developments? We have always provided subsidies to certain industries. We continue to provide billions of dollars annually in subsidies to the oil industry. We do the same with the agricultural industry. Even when the price of oil was over $100 a barrel where industry had every incentive to invest on their own, we continued to provide those subsidies. Why is it bad now that we are subsidizing the EV and battery industries?

No one is forcing anyone to purchase an EV or not purchase an ICE vehicle. And they wont for decades to come. Buy whichever you prefer.

Last edited by akin67; 04-23-2023 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 10:11 AM   #1966
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is from the Shanghai Motor Show last week. You can see what is coming from China in next few years.
. If we don't develop competitive EV technologies in the US, these are the vehicles Americans will be driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:14 AM   #1967
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
A
Net zero
Decarbonisation
Air source heat pumps
EV mandates

B
Hunger,Poverty,Homelessness
Interest rates
Need to get to work in a cheap car
Need to put food on the table

The world has gone mad with its priorities... B first before splurging money on A please.
Tell me about it..
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2023, 12:15 PM   #1968
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
This is from the Shanghai Motor Show last week. You can see what is coming from China in next few years.
. If we don't develop competitive EV technologies in the US, these are the vehicles Americans will be driving.
I remember that top gear UK piece from like 15 years ago when Jeremy Clarkson was like, “sooner or later we’ll all be driving Chinese cars.”

Guess he might be right after all.

But china already has some pretty cool ev.

We need America to keep pushing to compete! We need to take over with our ev’s!!!!
      04-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #1969
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Sometimes the government needs to get into industrial policy. Our economic competitors, China, Japan, Korea and even the EU all have industrial policies in place that support nascent but vital industries of the future. If we did not do the same we would be left behind. If we do not support the EV industry today, it is not going to prevent the transition to electric vehicles. All you would be doing is to ensure the vehicles everyone will be driving in 20 years will be from China, Japan, Korea and Germany. Also, advances in technology will have far broader impacts than just EVs. Being able to make more compact, lighter and efficient batteries will effect hundreds of industries. How can we afford not to subsidize and incentivize American industry to pursue these developments? We have always provided subsidies to certain industries. We continue to provide billions of dollars annually in subsidies to the oil industry. We do the same with the agricultural industry. Even when the price of oil was over $100 a barrel where industry had every incentive to invest on their own, we continued to provide those subsidies. Why is it bad now that we are subsidizing the EV and battery industries?

No one is forcing anyone to purchase an EV or not purchase an ICE vehicle. And they wont for decades to come. Buy whichever you prefer.
I'm sure I'll get booted if I respond with political commentary, so I'll refrain from explaining these errors of thought. But simply, subsidies are just the Government taxing industry less than it really wants to. Personal tax rebates for EV are just compensating for the price delta between the cost of ICE and EV (battery cost) to make EV somewhat affordable to adopt. The next forcing function to adopt to EV is a massive increase in the motor fuel tax. Just wait.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-23-2023 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60062.00
Patton2502939.50
      04-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #1970
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
I remember that top gear UK piece from like 15 years ago when Jeremy Clarkson was like, “sooner or later we’ll all be driving Chinese cars.”

Guess he might be right after all.

But china already has some pretty cool ev.
Read up on new IRA legislation.

China is on the "foreign entity of concern" list. They will never qualify for the IRA $7500 tax credits, due to this. Being down $7500 to competitors is a massive barrier to entry into the US market.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
Cos270608.50
      04-23-2023, 12:59 PM   #1971
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:

exactly....the whole thing about forcing people to EV's is a bizarre go to falacy for the anti-EV crowd

Nobody on this board will out live the last ICE vehicles on the road
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #1972
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Read up on new IRA legislation.

China is on the "foreign entity of concern" list. They will never qualify for the IRA $7500 tax credits, due to this. Being down $7500 to competitors is a massive barrier to entry into the US market.
Unless they introduce 25k ev’s.

Which is why Tesla is the leader in this game period. I said it many times and I’ll say it again. It’ll take about 5-8 years for car makers to catch up. With the tesla price cuts, nothing on the market competes with it, no matter what variant of whatever Tesla model you’re looking at.

Let’s go Elon!!!
      04-23-2023, 01:12 PM   #1973
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider.1127 View Post
First it was a conspiracy that governments were pushing people into ev, now it’s because pollution etc.

Evs are retarded and requires modern day slavery in the form of destabilizing counties to plunder their resources.

It’s too look and deep of a conversation for this topic, but anyone claiming EVs are cleaner probably is ok with exploitation of people for the sake of feeding their ego.

What more economical- keeping a car you have or buying a new one that requires Massive amounts natural resources?
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4687.00
      04-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #1974
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

the whole notion that EV's are somehow plateued on technology is also hilarious

EV tech is just getting started...battery tech is excelerating rapidly

longer range

10 minute charging

almost fully recyclable battery

etc...

https://electrek.co/2023/02/09/this-...in-10-minutes/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/s...er-210281.html

https://www.energymonitor.ai/sectors...cle-batteries/

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/05/09...l-performance/
Appreciate 1
akin67450.50
      04-23-2023, 01:26 PM   #1975
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
the whole notion that EV's are somehow plateued on technology is also hilarious
Who said they plateued?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:34 PM   #1976
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Who said they plateued?
all the usual handwringing about the grid, charing times, etc...like its 2035 tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:40 PM   #1977
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dang! Our first thread elitist!!!! Where have you been hiding? Dealing with people like you in person face to face is a complete and total blast. It usually ends with the elitist storming out of the room.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:43 PM   #1978
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

That, sir, is a complete and total exaggerated BS lie. I won’t blame you though. You’ve just heard it parroted from people that hate the oil industry. I think in the future on this forum, it will be difficult to take you seriously after making such a statement like that.

Oh, and don’t waste your time copying and pasting articles. I know where you will be getting it from.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:47 PM   #1979
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm sure I'll get booted if I respond with political commentary, so I'll refrain from explaining these errors of thought. But simply, subsidies are just the Government taxing industry less than it really wants to. Personal tax rebates for EV are just compensating for the price delta between the cost of ICE and EV (battery cost) to make EV somewhat affordable to adopt. The next forcing function to adopt to EV is a massive increase in the motor fuel tax. Just wait.
He knows that brother. There is no doubt in my mind. It’s just what he wrote sounds good to him plus he hears it all the time from the news outlets he watches so it must be true.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17309.00
KRS_SN13535.50
      04-23-2023, 01:51 PM   #1980
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
exactly....the whole thing about forcing people to EV's is a bizarre go to falacy for the anti-EV crowd

Nobody on this board will out live the last ICE vehicles on the road
Um…….Ah……This stuff really seems to fly over your head. Let me help you out.

How is not allowing any more combustion engine vehicles to be built after 2035 not forcing people to buy electric vehicles?

I don’t hate electric vehicles. I bet MOST of the people here arguing against them being made mandatory to manufacture through unguided emotional legislation don’t hate them either.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60062.00
Efthreeoh17309.00