New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-24-2023, 07:05 AM   #3059
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This has always been a concern with EVs in a residential garage. I was involved in a research project many many years ago concerning this. The project was to determine if charging various EVs in a closed garage would present an explosion hazard due to the hydrogen being off gassed by the battery tech at the time. We had two Geo Metros, a big Ford Econoline passenger van, and the GM Impact (before it was released to the public as the EV1). The sponsors of the research project were PEPCO, EPRI, and BG&E.
Did you get to drive the EV1?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 07:07 AM   #3060
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Or pull a trailer without cutting your range in half.
And then unhook so you can recharge
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #3061
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Did you get to drive the EV1?
I didn't. The head engineer for the project did. It was surreal when they delivered the car. The company I worked for had two homes they bought in a residential neighborhood to do various studies in a "real" home setting. Companies would send products to us for simulation testing. We did testing on various thermostats to hydronic HVAC systems. To simulate people being in the home, we had various incandescent light bulbs and humidifiers that would turn on and off for a period inside the home. The EV cars we tested were loaded up in the garage of one of the homes for testing.

Anyways, when the EV1 was delivered it was at dusk. A big semi rolled up into the neighborhood with Hughes Network Systems plastered all over the side of the trailer. The car was pushed out and immediately pushed into the garage and the garage door was immediately closed. They didn't want any spy shots to be taken of the car. I don't know when the head engineer did the driving to drain the batteries down to do the charge cycle. I drove the other EV cars around to drain the batteries down.

It was cool being a part of something that was cloaked in public secrecy. I have the pics the engineer took of the EV1 sitting around somewhere. They're in slide format so that tells you how far back this was. The charging station was unique too. Looked like a B&O speaker. The charging interface was this paddle that slides into a slot at the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #3062
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
If your house burns down from your EV charging does it damage the climate?
Just asking for a friend.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 09:08 AM   #3063
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
If your house burns down from your EV charging does it damage the climate?
Just asking for a friend.
Yes, my climate would be dark and angry.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 09:37 AM   #3064
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where as Rich Benoit documented his trip from NJ to GA and how at certain points on his trip, he had to to scramble to find a charger and the various issues he had with charging his Rivian. He also spent more than $56 for the one charging station he used. And Rich isn't anti EV. Heck he has two repair shops that do EV repairs.

That guy is hilarious. The vid made for a great Seinfeld episode.

I've thought about buying Bolt for a few years now just out of curiosity. Cheap way to get into EV with a decent car. But Rich's video just puts the big clamp on any reason to buy a non-Tesla EV. You can't even mildly road trip one. Sure 90% of the time it would work for me, even running up to N. VA for the day. The 10% I need to recharge away from home? Nah. NFW.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-24-2023 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #3065
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

I've thought about buying Bolt for a few years now just out of curiosity. Cheap way to get into EV with a decent car. But Rich's video just puts the big clamp on any reason to buy a non-Tesla EV. You can't even mildly road trip one. Sure 90% of the time it would work for me, even running up to N. VA for the day. The 10% I need to recharge away from home? Nah. NFW.
My wife goes to visit her sister and mother every 3 or 4 weeks, it's about 800KM (500M) round trip. She stays with her sister in an apt. building with no chargers on site. There is no way she'd want to make that trip and have to stop to charge.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #3066
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Most of his videos are done that way. He is great at entertaining yet also informing at the same time. Even when he pitches his sponsors, I'll watch through them instead of skipping because he's so entertaining.

You should go back to his older videos where he was working through the whole Tesla landscape. He got famous off of piecing together two junked Model S'. He learned a lot in the process and provided that information to us. His phone calls to Tesla are just drop dead hilarious dealing with trying to order simple parts to dealing with supercharging.

What makes him above many others is the fact he's a true car guy and still appreciates ICE vehicles. Heck he turned the Tesla world upside down when he dropped a V8 into a Model S chassis and showed it off at SEMA.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 10:17 AM   #3067
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
My wife goes to visit her sister and mother every 3 or 4 weeks, it's about 800KM (500M) round trip. She stays with her sister in an apt. building with no chargers on site. There is no way she'd want to make that trip and have to stop to charge.
Right, because EVERY woman wants to sit alone behind a Wawa for 2 hours waiting to recover range at 34 MPH.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 10:19 AM   #3068
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most of his videos are done that way. He is great at entertaining yet also informing at the same time. Even when he pitches his sponsors, I'll watch through them instead of skipping because he's so entertaining.

You should go back to his older videos where he was working through the whole Tesla landscape. He got famous off of piecing together two junked Model S'. He learned a lot in the process and provided that information to us. His phone calls to Tesla are just drop dead hilarious dealing with trying to order simple parts to dealing with supercharging.

What makes him above many others is the fact he's a true car guy and still appreciates ICE vehicles. Heck he turned the Tesla world upside down when he dropped a V8 into a Model S chassis and showed it off at SEMA.
Can't wait for the ICE ban in Cali, with all those folks who motorcycle tour... I guess by 2035, touring via motorcycle won't be a thing.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 10:24 AM   #3069
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can't wait for the ICE ban in Cali, with all those folks who motorcycle tour... I guess by 2035, touring via motorcycle won't be a thing.
Will Newsom just turn off the taps at all the gas stations on Jan. 01/2035? I know probably not but if they announced that they would make gas and diesel banned I wouldn't be shocked.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 10:46 AM   #3070
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
No, because term limits. He's out of things to destroy anyway. But word is he'll be the blue choice insertion for The Crackhouse. I'm gone if he gets in. Gone-gone. Done. Fork it.

Side note:
I just saw Otis Overbite won Miss Netherlands.

I WON'T be moving there. Italy sounds nice.
      07-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #3071
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^
No, because term limits. He's out of things to destroy anyway. But word is he'll be the blue choice insertion for The Crackhouse. I'm gone if he gets in. Gone-gone. Done. Fork it.

Side note:
I just saw Otis Overbite won Miss Netherlands.

I WON'T be moving there. Italy sounds nice.
Not to make this political but I heard somewhere that the Dems don't want to run Biden/Harris next go round but it's going to be M.Obama/Newsom.

Interesting times. Meanwhile back to EV's. I guess the question is what's next when 2035 rolls around and there are still millions of ICE vehicles on the roads.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50
      07-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #3072
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post

I always set mine to charge at 1am and its always ready by 5am.
So you are charging when carbon sources in your grid are at their peak? Is that because you don't care about the climate, or is there some other reason?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #3073
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
So you are charging when carbon sources in your grid are at their peak? Is that because you don't care about the climate, or is there some other reason?
I think SocalNsx is pure solar and sells back to CaliEdison.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 11:46 AM   #3074
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Some news in that Greta Thunberg,a climate activist has been convicted by a court in Sweden and fined for refusing to leave a protest site.
Appreciate 3
MmmmmM22588.50
KRS_SN13538.50
      07-24-2023, 11:49 AM   #3075
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
I think SocalNsx is pure solar and sells back to CaliEdison.
so he sells green solar power to the grid in the day, but buys carbon power at night to charge his EV? that's not net zero CO2, it's just moving the problem to someone else's backyard.

buys ev + sells solar to the grid
buys carbon power to charge EV =/= green EV.
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2023, 12:46 PM   #3076
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
so he sells green solar power to the grid in the day, but buys carbon power at night to charge his EV? that's not net zero CO2, it's just moving the problem to someone else's backyard.

buys ev + sells solar to the grid
buys carbon power to charge EV =/= green EV.
I guess, he'll have to speak for himself. But I believe that is what he has stated before. Whether he has a powerwall in his home I'm not clear on. I also thought he said he can charge for free at his place of work.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 12:48 PM   #3077
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
It only works if you have a large residential battery system so you can store all the clipped DC energy and use it at a later time. Or buy the PV energy for low cost during peak solar output and charge the battery then. But now you need a big battery bank in your home, larger than the one in your EV. $$$. The batteries all degrade over time with less and less capacity.

The issue is the battery technology we have now frankly sucks. They need to cost 1/10th the cost, not be from ass hole countries, and have an actually useful life.

Last edited by Torgus; 07-24-2023 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13538.50
      07-24-2023, 01:19 PM   #3078
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

With all the talk about EV fires, just imagine how things go with these large battery banks in homes added to the mix. Not only will this increase costs to the homeowner if they can add one at all for the equipment, imagine what their homeowner's insurance rates will do.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 01:25 PM   #3079
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting article. It seems that high temperature can reduce range in EV's. So areas where the temp is above 100F may see similar range reductions (30%) as those living in cold climates. https://driving.ca/auto-news/driver-...fects-ev-range
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 01:28 PM   #3080
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
With all the talk about EV fires
At some point the insurance companies are going to chime in (raise rates) due to EV vehicle fires and structure fires caused by EV's and battery storage systems.
Appreciate 0