New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
sp0_0ky
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i e89

Call for Z4 e89 long term reviews on angel eye upgrades

Hi folks,

I am on the fence on upgrading my 2011 e89 35i angel eye bulbs with led replacements.

Can those who have already tried and have these installed for a while, please report on:

1. Make model of LED angel eye bulb
2. Brightness compared with stock bulb. Photos appreciated.
3. Any installation issues
4. Any issues with bulb causing excessive heat and causing damage?
5. Any led flicker when you start the engine?
6. Any failures? Does Bmw electronics detect the failure or do you figure when you see your baby’s reflection has a missing eye or two.

Thanks
jB
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

In the order of your questions:
1. Raptors, from OSS Designs http://ossdesigns.net/
2. I don't have pictures but I decided to go the OSS route after reading this post: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...hlight=raptors
3. With OSS, you need to ship your headlights to their offices. They work on it. Once it's done, they shipped it back to you (or your indy shop). It usually takes 1-2 weeks, during which you can't use your car, obviously. You have to dismantle and re-assemble the headlights yourself or via your indy shop. My indy shop told me they were impressed with the OSS quality of work in terms of sealing, shape of the angel eyes, brightness level, etc.
4. Nope
5. No flickering.
6. No failure.

Overall I am very happy with the result. I got them since 2 years and 2 months. No issue at all. They have the right level of brightness and I love the raptors shape.

Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

^ by far the best ones. Being in Europe I wish i had the opportunity but alas cost prohibitive to ship to US and back. Maybe one day can buy direct and ship old ones back for a discount.

Subscribed for the rest.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
svetlik123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

I replaced mine on a 2012 35i e89 two years ago in 2016. I went the cheap route and purchased off of eBay - (description): BMW 120W CREE LED Angel Eye Halo BMW E89 Z4 Lifetime Warranty. I've had zero problems, and for $150.00, I feel like I made a great purchase. Answers to questions:

1. See above - I believe theses were H8 bulbs and after doing a quick search, looks like you can find these for about $50.00 now. These look similar to the ones I installed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Beam-12...item33cbbdf37c

2. Brightness was night and day (no pun intended). Went from the ugly yellow orange, to a white/light-light-blue that matches the HID Xenon's perfectly. Sorry - didn't take pictures.
3. No installation issues whatsoever ... actually easier than I'd planned.
4. No overheating issues and they have not failed in 2 years.
5. Not that I've noticed. To be honest, I've never had anyone look while I started the engine. I don't see any flickering from the reflection in the garage.
6. No failures, so I've seen no warnings ... still going strong.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0