New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-35i View Post
I get the occasional whine from the passenger side in the interior.

It normal sounds like: 'slow down', 'did you see that car', 'don't think of overtaking here'
I occasionally have this problem as well. Mine sounds like "PLEASE stop!" PLEASE, can you stop?" PLEASE!?".

I took it into the dealer but they told me the couldn't re-create the problem. C'est la vie.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #24
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Definitely take it in ASAP. My guess based on the other thread is injectors or HPFP. Good luck!!
Yeah, that's my thought, too. We've already had to replace the injectors on the odd-numbered cylinders (1, 3, and 5) and the car had a HPFP replaced before we bought it. I hope we didn't get a lemon!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Yeah, that's my thought, too. We've already had to replace the injectors on the odd-numbered cylinders (1, 3, and 5) and the car had a HPFP replaced before we bought it. I hope we didn't get a lemon!
Maybe if they replaced all injectors maybe you wouldn't have the issue. No need to worry yet, especially since it is a known problem spot...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9eAk3vjHjg

This is what my car sounds like, just not as bad.
I never heard anything remotely like that in my car (knock wood). Doesn't sound normal to me imho. You're right, it does sound like a siren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I thought that the new injectors were different from the OEM ones, at least that's what a dealer told me, so that's why they suggest replacing all 6 instead of piecemeal.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I never heard anything remotely like that in my car (knock wood). Doesn't sound normal to me imho. You're right, it does sound like a siren.

Yep, this is not normal. We all hear normal turbo noise but this is not what it should sound like.

I thought that the new injectors were different from the OEM ones, at least that's what a dealer told me, so that's why they suggest replacing all 6 instead of piecemeal.
This is true. There is a redesign on the injectors and they cannot be mixed with the old ones so all 6 have to be replaced if one is bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Maybe if they replaced all injectors maybe you wouldn't have the issue. No need to worry yet, especially since it is a known problem spot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
That's what I thought, too. Not sure why they didn't. I'm going to take it in on Friday. I'll grab the service records, too, so I know what's up.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
Longboard
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Two banks

You have 6 injectors separated into bank 1 and bank 2.

When they replace a bad one from one of the banks they have to replace all three from that bank.

Ask me how I know? Bank 2 was replaced two weeks ago and now today bank 1 went bad and had to be replaced. Usually you see a coil or two go out at the same time as the injector. You also see plugs needing to be replaced.

Mine now has all new plugs, injectors and four new coils. All covered under warranty. Add to that the new fuel pump that's on order and you have a lot. I was told BMW has a new designed fuel pump coming in a couple weeks to finally fix the whining you here from the original pump.

Bryan
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboard View Post
I was told BMW has a new designed fuel pump coming in a couple weeks to finally fix the whining you here from the original pump.
Kind of crazy that N54 has been out for 6 years and re-designed components are still being released

By the way, does anyone know if any of the fuel system and ignition parts are common with the N55 and N20/N26 engines? (i.e. Should most modern BMW owners be on the look out for the things we are discussing here?)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #31
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I am at 60,000km and don't hear any turbo whine under normal use or regular WOT. But I can hear the turbos "after" spin right after having done a donut or otherwise going from WOT to "silent" very quickly. Like if I do WOT in 1st or 2nd and then let off the throttle very quickly and listen carefully.
I need to correct myself. I can, in fact, hear the turbos spin if I go WOT, even with the roof down. Before I just didn't listen carefully enough. But I think the sound is normal, because it is exactly the same as can be heard in this video of a low mileage 35is going WOT:

It is there after each gear change.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #32
135iNathan
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9eAk3vjHjg

Quote:

Mine makes the exact same sound despite having brand new turbos with upgraded wastegates
Appreciate 0