New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Headlight question

OK; I admit it. The adaptive headlight setup on my wife's 35i is a mystery to me. The car currently shows an exterior light malfunction icon on the dash and, sure enough, the driver's side headlamp is not working properly. However, I'm damned if I know exactly what the issue is as there are multiple lighting elements, some of which are working and others not. And I haven't a clue as to what needs replacing. The dealer service dept is closed this weekend, so I thought maybe I can get some answers here. The picture on the left is with the switch in the auto position. The picture on the right is with the switch in the low beam manual position. Any thoughts?

PS: Is it just the H8 bulb for the angel eyes that is out???
Attached Images

Last edited by paris1; 08-08-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #2
nontoxic
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Yes, H8 bulb is used for the angel eyes and xenon is used for the lights in the second picture.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Angel eyes are done with a single bulb... should get to it from the top through some hatch.
Lowbeam and highbeam is a separate bulb...

You could replace the bulb for angel eyes or upgrade them to LED kit (lux for example) if you want to update the look to white rings and hate yellow oem tone. All LED kits dont work the same, because car dims angel eyes when they switch off. On some cheap LED kits that makes angel eyes flicker when dimming down and switching off. I think LUX kits had some module in the wiring to deal with that. I personally like Oem yellow rings. Fits well with brown metallic paint.

Also some kits leave inner ring and outer ring in different brightness because how LEDs work and how light is refracted to each ring from the bulb.

https://www.luxangeleyes.com/products/lux-h8-189
      08-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Thanks. I ordered a set of oem Phillips H8s on Amazon for $20. That should take care of it.
Appreciate 0