New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Flashing CEL out of storage

Hey everyone,
I've had my 2010 Z4 Sdrive35i for 4 years, has about 70k miles. This has been my first non JDM car but I love it. Unfortunately it's not as easy as working on B and D series honda engines, or even the Renesis, so here goes:

This year I brought it out of storage this year and car went immediately into limp mode (Engine Malfunction warning). Had a ton of electrical work done by the dealer, basically rewired the whole car. Rodent damage, claimed it through my comprehensive insurance since they wanted $8k. Unfortunately last year my living situation changed and I no longer had a garage, so I had to store it in one of those car ports.

After getting the car back, I've noticed on some starts (usually cold starts, early morning) the revs will bog down from 1100 to 700ish after a few seconds of starting, and I'll get a flashing CEL for about 10 seconds, then it goes away. Car runs/drives fine afterwards though. Since this wasn't an issue before I stored it, the dealer offered to take a look and diagnose to see if it was related to the recent electrical work.

Basically they said there was no code and they had to recreate the flashing CEL to check it. The diagnosis was that one of my injectors was "malfunctioning", but they would need to change all 6 because of the "indexing". My car has "index 7" injectors and the only ones they can get are "index 11" I was told. This is going to run $5k.

Just wondering if there's anything I should try before handing it to them. I rarely drive the car, I work from home so I maybe get 4,000 miles a year in it. Should I be worried in the interim? Not drive the car? Anyone experience anything similar? Any other options? Is it worth the hassle of finding a part out and replacing the one injector?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Z4 35i is my first bmw aswell... owned 2 k20 Type R-s before it... 04 and 07.

First index 11 is not the newest injector revision , dont buy these... Index 12 is the newest and best one...

(My car fortunately came with index 12 installed by previous owner. Was really happy when i checked my injectors and saw all 6 being the newest revision.)

Second 5000 dollars is way too much for the work IMO... even if you are talking canadian currency not USD.

See here:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-13538616079kt

1447 USD for 6 genuine Bmw Index 12 injectors...
Installing them you need to tell the car 3 digit numbers that are on each injector... Thats basically what the coding is... cilinder 1 3 digit numbers cilinder 2 3 digit numbers... and so on..

There are guides on youtube how to change and code injectors... you need laptop, a 10 dollar obd cable to usb and some software you can download freely from the internet.

Guide video to injectors and coding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smFtNPllpc

If you know how to code your car for digital speedo, battery change or auto folding mirrors then probably you can do that aswell. Or let some indy shop do it.

Of course if you have insurance or warranty then you may have to go to dealer.

Before replacing injectors i would get second opinion... Or get code reader and read what car is telling you... then google the codes... Maybe its ignition coils... they are way cheaper... i got 6 delphi coils for 124 eur recently...
And if they get old its similar symptoms... changed mine at 66k miles... no cel but was running a bit ruff... and revs did bog in the morning a few times aswell...

Last edited by KennyP; 05-14-2020 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
eli37133.00
      08-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Thank you so much for all the info.
I know this is a late response, things have been crazy, but a quick update.

First - thanks for this, not sure why the dealer would offer me index 11 or not have the newest, but this is definitely something I would not have known.

Second - I always figured dealer labor numbers were higher - i have everything you mentioned already to code them, so i'll definitely be doing that myself.

There's no code unfortunately, could be my reader is too generic to pick it up but i only ever get the flashing CEL if i let it sit long enough after starting. The car has had one code since I bought it (p0442 i believe, evap leak) which was diagnosed as a "pinhole" in the neck of the gas tank. They wanted $8k to replace the tank, they said it was very close to the gas cap, but that's a whole other story.

Once again, greatly appreciate all the info and time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
uuJimtq
Rep
Drives: e89

Since the car was in storage and not running. I would add some injector cleaner and drive, drive, drive go through at least five tanks of gas before doing anything.
Appreciate 0