New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-17-2023, 07:45 PM   #1
umalik786
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

Trunk locked. Can't open automatically

Trunk locking is a common issue but usually related to dead or disconnected batteries. However, my battery is fine, I have a more sinister problem.

So I'm facing "central electronics failure" which messed up pretty much all electronics modules including the roof system (I suspect water damage). As a result, it locked the trunk which I need to open to be able to diagnose the problem.

My car doesn't even have an emergency latch inside the trunk! Not sure why...

My indy workshop is telling me they can't establish any connection with the car computer to command trunk release. I've gone to 3 different indy workshops and they all are saying the same that they can't open the trunk.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
DubaiRich
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [8.17]
What year, model is your vehicle?? Check your fuses. I had a similar problem and it was a 5 amp fuse that blew
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 04:34 PM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

When i had an issue with trunk lid softclose wiring, basically softclose went nuts actuating nonstop, i pulled a fuse in the passengers footwell fusebox.

Its a totallly wierd overengineered fusebox with a hinging and sliding mechanism by the way.

That fuse disabled both roof and the trunk lid. Got all kinds of messages on the idrive screen but softclose didnt actuate anymore and i could drive 100+km back home and fix the wiring there.

Though in your case i think fuses were probably the first thing those indy shops checked.