New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-08-2023, 08:56 PM   #67
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
The build quality tropes are getting old. We have a 21 Model Y standard and a 22 Model Y Performance and have literally had zero issues with either of them.

Still love my M3cs but the Tesla hate is kind of pathetic.
I completely agree. The poor build quality talk track is the lamest shit ever. It's exhausting hearing about it and it's racheted up a notch or two on BP. I've owned two Model Y Performance (2022 and 2023) cars and zero material build quality issues. I recall having a rattle or two early in my ownership of the first MYP and the issue resolved itself within a week. Other than that, no issues at all. All three of my F80s (Base, ZCP, and CS) all had a few rattles here and there.

FWIW, I'd buy a third Model Y Performance if given a good enough reason. I'm not an EV or Tesla evangelist but a lot of what you hear with respect to build quality or mechanical reliability is 100% false on the newer Teslas (MY20 and beyond).
Appreciate 1
BMWsully162.00
      03-08-2023, 09:03 PM   #68
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
you don't dwarf BMW, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, etc in sales if that was actually true

https://insideevs.com/news/630769/te...rown-from-bmw/

I must one of the thousands of lucky ones who got a good one

might have mentioned this already, but my E39 back in the day was the epitome of shitty build quality...I think every button fell off or broke in the few years I had that POS...

I think its the old adage of "something bad happens you tell the world, something good happens you tell a friend" .... in other words, I think the early Tesla's and the build quality issues are legend now and everyone thinks they're are still like that who believe every thing they read on car forums(usually filled with a bunch of boomers who hate anything electric)
Congrats on the M3P and enjoy it in good health! Don't spend one additional second of your time trying to change the minds of these nerds on this forum...fuck em. If you like it and it works for you, that's all that matters.

I would absolutely pick up a M3P so my GT4 would have a track buddy but my wife would kill me.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:29 PM   #69
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I completely agree. The poor build quality talk track is the lamest shit ever.
Lame =/= false
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:35 PM   #70
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I completely agree. The poor build quality talk track is the lamest shit ever. It's exhausting hearing about it and it's racheted up a notch or two on BP. I've owned two Model Y Performance (2022 and 2023) cars and zero material build quality issues. I recall having a rattle or two early in my ownership of the first MYP and the issue resolved itself within a week. Other than that, no issues at all. All three of my F80s (Base, ZCP, and CS) all had a few rattles here and there.

FWIW, I'd buy a third Model Y Performance if given a good enough reason. I'm not an EV or Tesla evangelist but a lot of what you hear with respect to build quality or mechanical reliability is 100% false on the newer Teslas (MY20 and beyond).

No issues with my model 3. Yet ze Germans with ze bmw g80 m3 I have developed a rattle within 5k miles. That’s ze German engineering!

Can’t wait for 2035 lol
      03-09-2023, 08:38 AM   #71
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I wonder if the interior rattle hoopla is due to how quiet the cabin is? All my cars have interior rattles (MB and BMW included).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:52 PM   #72
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

went out in my M340i for a hoon around, came to a stop and then gassed it, flat to floor and the car just won't move until it hit 3000rpm

*sigh

where is my dream EV!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 10:50 PM   #73
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
went out in my M340i for a hoon around, came to a stop and then gassed it, flat to floor and the car just won't move until it hit 3000rpm

*sigh

where is my dream EV!

just do a stage 2 and it will almost beat an M3P

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 05:33 AM   #74
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
just do a stage 2 and it will almost beat an M3P

Spend $3,500+ and still run slower?!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 05:03 PM   #75
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
There are much better tunes than that even for e30 and especially e50. There are stock turbo guys without port injection running 10s. I'd say the e30 needs a revision
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 12:47 AM   #76
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

not bad, it actually pulls away from the tesla at first, and then it comes back such that by the end the tesla finished at 118mph while the 340 finished at 120mph according to the time screen
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 08:06 AM   #77
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I wonder if the interior rattle hoopla is due to how quiet the cabin is? All my cars have interior rattles (MB and BMW included).
No. There's a lot of rattle areas. A lot of Model 3's will all get a rattle in the drivers side dash in the corner near the A pillar. If you google there's hundreds of videos and threads as it's really annoying. The common fix is to put foam tape around the left speaker and for some people that fixes it. For me it didn't and it's a really bad rattle. If you have a model 3 this is a good link for when you will have to fix it but it doesn't work for everyone.

I had the most common seat rattle that's a pretty easy fix as you remove the seatback and push back up one of the grommets that has fallen down. Still I get a seat rattle depending on how far back the seat is set. If I move it forward a few mm it's gone so I just have it moved up a little closer to the pedals than I would like but it's not too bad. I also have one in the steering wheel column that I will take up in the spring. There are honestly so many that I'm going to tackle them one at a time to isolate them rather than go hard at all of them.

Then there's the various front suspension noises. It's not terrible on my car (I only have 10k km's on it) but at slow speeds there's some creaking from the front upper control arms that are on the umpteenth revision on a bad design where water gets into the ball joint. Supposedly there's an all new aluminum design going into newer 2023 cars that's properly sealed. I expect I will get those when mine start getting the dreaded loud squeaks as for a lot of owners it will be inevitable over time and you just hope it happens while you are still under warranty so it's not out of pocket although I have heard of some out of warranty owners getting the upper control arms replaced out of warranty because the issue is so widespread. Meyle has developed an upper control arm that is much more robust and I may go this route as they use a larger ball joint and it's completely sealed from the elements unlike the Tesla one.

https://www.meyle.com/en/passenger-c...rol-arm-tesla/

I actually like the car overall but the build quality is what drives a lot of Tesla owners crazy and if they really put an effort into improving this stuff rather than pumping out every car as fast as they can I feel they could transition to more of a desirable product rather than a product of convenience for people that want to get into an EV.
Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1596.00
Reborn_292.00
KRS_SN13103.00
      03-14-2023, 09:00 AM   #78
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Already a year and zero rattles in my model 3.

There is tire noise on the highway which could be fixed but then you sacrifice range depending on what tire you go with.

Car feels as solid as my m3 but my m3 has a rattle already.