New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-17-2023, 06:17 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Redlined the engine...what now?

I was stuck in the snow and turned DSC fully off, and wasn't paying attention. I must've revved it like crazy as smoke started coming out through the HVAC vents. I immediately turned it off but what's the expected scenarios? This has been quite the crappy day.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 07:09 PM   #2
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

bump for replies
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 09:25 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, knock wood it was fine, the coolant level is low now though so I'll need to address that. I guess they had a fail-safe somehow or I shut it off in time when I saw the freaking smoke come out? I dunno but it was scary to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 06:56 AM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

I was stuck in snow during a nasty snowstorm in december. Was so stuck that had to be pulled out along a snowed in residential street numerous times by a Toyota Hilux 4x4 and ATV.
I did a lot of putting it into drive and reverse and switching between them and trying to rock back and forth to get it loose... I have DCT transmission and after a while i started having DCT messages about it getting hot... there was a mild one first and then a more strict one on the screen to stop driving and letting it cool down... so i stopped and waited a bit for it to cool down and then resumed with the rescue effort.

On coolant being low... I have to add coolant to mine sometimes... maybe once a year or once in two years... been doing so for years... just added 1 liter last month because coolant tank was a bit low when i checked it... it wasnt empty... float was still floating...

Smoke was maybe the snow melting on hot exhaust or something like that and creating steam?

Last edited by KennyP; 02-18-2023 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 07:59 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I was stuck in snow during a nasty snowstorm in december. Was so stuck that had to be pulled out along a snowed in residential street numerous times by a Toyota Hilux 4x4 and ATV.
I did a lot of putting it into drive and reverse and switching between them and trying to rock back and forth to get it loose... I have DCT transmission and after a while i started having DCT messages about it getting hot... there was a mild one first and then a more strict one on the screen to stop driving and letting it cool down... so i stopped and waited a bit for it to cool down and then resumed with the rescue effort.

On coolant being low... I have to add coolant to mine sometimes... maybe once a year or once in two years... been doing so for years... just added 1 liter last month because coolant tank was a bit low when i checked it... it wasnt empty... float was still floating...

Smoke was maybe the snow melting on hot exhaust or something like that and creating steam?
Knock wood I didn't have any DCT prbs but that smoke coming from the engine bay and creeping through the vents freaked me the hell out (it was definitely that since I hope I know where the engine and exhaust are located lol). I usually just press the reg traction off and I guess there is more of a safeguard but this time I turned DSC completely off and I guess I gunned it too many times and too high in revs. Luckily, it seems to be ok save for lowered coolant level, and I'm due for my maintenance so I will get that sorted asap (I'm not touching that radiator stuff, I don't even change my own oil, I'm not about to mess w the radiator cap and get my face melted if I do it wrong haha).
Appreciate 0