New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-17-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
calvingray4
Rep
Drives: z4 e89

computer upgrade

Hi all,

I’ve just bought BMW Z4 S Drive 23 I E89 I have a button on the steering wheel and on the center console, I also have an aux input however nowhere in the settings on the onboard computer is there option to select either to set it up so I can listen to music. I have tried looking on YouTube and the options that are being suggested to click into on the setting are not available to me. Does this mean I need a software update to be able to use ? If so what sort of cost can I expect .
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 12:45 PM   #2
calvingray4
Rep

Apologies I have a button for the phone on the steering wheel and on the center console however no options to select and pair up via the online computer
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 03:27 PM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Im guessing you have Bmw professional headunit and dont have idrive...
I would suggest checking the manual. If you dont have one you can find one online. Just google it.
Also theres a limit on how many phones can be paired with a car. I think its 4 phones max in your case? So before you can add a new one maybe try deleting older pairings.

Im not familiar with professional headunit as mine has idrive so cant really help you more.
Also some cars dont have audio playback via bluetooth. For example mine is 09 with idrive and HIFI professional audio and i dont have bluetooth audio.. That came to cars with idrive in 2010 and above i think.

So im not sure if non-idrive even has bluetooth audio. Aux should work.
Again not familiar with your setup so best bet is to read the manual...
Im sure you dont need any software updates.
      02-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #4
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Welcome to the forum and to your new (to you) Z4!

Some helpful advice: When asking about your car here, it helps everyone if you specify the year, model, country and relevant options as there are significant variations along the way.

I can guess you have a 2009-2011 23i right hand drive. But I don't know if you have the iDrive with the Nav screen or the Business CD/Radio. It makes a big difference.

These all have Bluetooth for the phone, but the pairing is different between the systems. I suggest you go to the BMW website and download the owner's guide for your car. You'll need the VIN (or the last 7 digits anyway). That will give you a guide tailored to your configuration. The printed one (if you have it) covers all options, etc. so it can be a challenge to figure out what applies to your car. It will have the instructions for pairing your phone.

The downside is that the Bluetooth interface in the E89 doesn't support music streaming -- just phone functions. Also the USB interface in the center console doesn't support digital audio (hence the reason for the AUX input). If you connect the phone's audio out to the AUX in, and select AUX as the source in the radio it will play through the car speakers. But you have to control the phone output from the phone as there isn't a control interface in the AUX.

You don't say what kind of phone you have, but there are accessories to interface some phones - especially the iPhone. There are also some snap-in adapters for other phones. These adapters allow some control of your phone through the vehicle controls.

You can search for parts using https://www.realoem.com/ and putting in your VIN. You'll find phone adapters under RETROFITTING/CONVERSION/ACCESSORIES.

You'll also need to know your car's configuration (Installed options). The website https://www.mdecoder.com/ will decode your VIN and list all the option codes your car was manufactured with. You'll understand when looking at RealOEM and it says:

For vehicles with Control for Combox S6VCA=No

or

For vehicles with Control for Combox S6VCA=Yes

The MDecoder will refer to the above option as 6VC Control for Combox. (Ignore the S and A in RealOEM).

Hope this helps.

Gerry
      02-17-2023, 03:32 PM   #5
calvingray4
Rep

Hi Kenny thanks ,

I think it is a an idrive its a BMW Z4 SDRIVE23I
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 03:38 PM   #6
calvingray4
Rep

It’s a 2009 model
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 04:14 PM   #7
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Looks like your audio options are very limited..

It’s possible to retrospectively upgrade these cars but its an expensive and technically difficult process.

A lot of early UK 23i cars had very limited options fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #8
calvingray4
Rep

How expensive do you think it would be ? Just as a guess?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #9
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvingray4 View Post
How expensive do you think it would be ? Just as a guess?
You need someone au fait with the intricacies of E89 audio systems and then judicious shopping of used parts to get it together….then fitting and coding..

Dave from the UK who frequents this forum who is AnnubisZed on the Z4 Forum is the go to guy on retrofits ..

IMHO adding usb support to the inside of the centre armrest would then give you high quality music streaming via your phone

I’d imagine it’s about a £1000 exercise to get someone else to do it with you buying the parts second hand but even for me who has now extensively twiddled with these things it’s beyond my pay grade..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 02:33 AM   #10
calvingray4
Rep

Appreciate everyone’s help and advice thank
You
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 03:45 AM   #11
B21
Captain
Rep

This is another option which I forgot…

You can add a pseudo CIC screen and controller and boot yourself into the 21st century..

https://hifimaxnavi.com/en-gb/produc...31933811818590
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 07:43 AM   #12
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post

IMHO adding usb support to the inside of the centre armrest would then give you high quality music streaming via your phone
Hmm i have 09 and i have usb next to aux... i use it with a usb stick and sometimes for charging my phone...
I did manage to get it to work with an ancient iphone 3g that i loaded some music on to... i had a special bmw usb to 30pin cable that i got with the car..

but i havent been able to get newer iphones to work with it... i even bought a special bmw usb to lightning cable.. and that did not seem to work... also Apples own cable does nothing but charge the device.. Basically anything with the newer lightning port i use aux with the lightning to aux dongle...

I think i have earlier software version or something... On newer z4s it can probably work but on mine it wont... If anyone has got a newer iphone to work with usb on 2009 z4 then please tell me how
      02-18-2023, 09:15 AM   #13
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Hmm i have 09 and i have usb next to aux... i use it with a usb stick and sometimes for charging my phone...
I did manage to get it to work with an ancient iphone 3g that i loaded some music on to... i had a special bmw usb to 30pin cable that i got with the car..

but i havent been able to get newer iphones to work with it... i even bought a special bmw usb to lightning cable.. and that did not seem to work... also Apples own cable does nothing but charge the device.. Basically anything with the newer lightning port i use aux with the lightning to aux dongle...

I think i have earlier software version or something... On newer z4s it can probably work but on mine it wont... If anyone has got a newer iphone to work with usb on 2009 z4 then please tell me how
I think it was to do with the various generations of Bluetooth/ USB controller box in the boot…

MULF and MULF2 and I think ULX?

Discussed here..

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=19088745

Thankfully I have full USB / media streaming Bluetooth…the USB works great with all iPhones and is the best quality option this side of a MOST device..
Appreciate 1
KennyP146.50
      02-18-2023, 03:37 PM   #14
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Usb in the glove box.
Aux in on the iDrive to select.
12gb memory.
Appreciate 0