New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #23
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
SF is a nice place to visit but no way I would live in CA. No disrespect to those that do. If I did, I would want a BART station at home and work, no way I'd spend my life stuck in a car.

Though if you were considering DC you must really like living on top of your neighbor, traffic and insane cost of living.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 11:26 PM   #24
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegump View Post
We talk about cost of living a lot as we've been very fortunate to have high income and extremely low cost of living but we also value many things other than money-as long as it's a livable wage.
This is good but please remember that what you are going to get for the money may still be sticker shock even if you can afford it. House with land and no close neighbor is virtually unheard of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Actually maybe that means it's a good time to move to CA if everyone is moving out.
No...its not. Due to the fires, there is a limited amount of inventory for houseing. The houses that are available are going for well above asking & people are getting into bidding wars for them....and its not always worth it. In my town, currently, there is nothing (house wise) on the market for less than $600K...$520K for condo or townhouse. In a lot of those cases you are still looking at $100-300K in renovations! Just sayin...keep your eyes open and know what its like here

Quote:
The problem is you have friends that have only visited Cali, not lived there. I know you're joking but there are pluses and minuses of living in Cali for sure. Personally I like SoCal more than the North, but that's just me. I enjoy the climate in the South much more. For the record, the entire West Coast is expensive nowadays. Being from the West Coast and perhaps being a bit biased, I think people are the friendliest and down to earth. Of course there's going to be your share of "weirdos", but tell me a place that doesn't have that.
This! All of this. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #25
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Actually maybe that means it's a good time to move to CA if everyone is moving out.
real estate is still going for over asking price.
      03-15-2021, 12:02 AM   #26
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Yeah, one of the main reasons I left. Just way too expensive there.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #27
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Its why I am planning on leaving as well
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #28
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

You're in for a rude awakening when the real estate market eventually bottoms out, which in Northern CA is an inevitability. If you buy now, you'll definitely be buying at the peak, nowhere to go but down. With the exodus of big tech, the prospects aren't very promising.

I work/live in San Diego (for now, I have a home in Charlotte), and the real estate market here is as crazy, but at least more reasonable and sustainable with the large military presence. I still want to get out of CA as quickly as possible. San Diego is probably the most ideal place to be for your outdoorsy lifestyle, but I'm sure your job doesn't allow for it.

Funny you say DC, has always been my dream to live there. I visited when my wife lived there almost a decade ago (I'm 35 now). We went there last weekend to see if we should finally make a strong effort to relocate. Within a few hours we both knew we'd gotten to old for the idea. Living in DC/Arlington in a townhome meant spending 1.5M plus for what we needed, and living in Fairfax, Alexandria and farther out was not living in "DC" so to speak. Plus we actually felt Georgetown was too busy. We drove back to our suburban Charlotte house and can't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #29
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
San Jose looks to be the most promising. I've read about the rv parks and less desirable areas...so that'd certainly be somewhat of a shock but we're from Birmingham so not unfamiliar with sketch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
This was somewhat of a surprise as I've never actually applied due to the extreme COL but since a recruiter reached out and I've always had a desire to work there I figured why not give it a shot. We certainly have a make or break amount so we'll see what it is-if it went as well as I feel it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
My wife's parents are somewhat close but either way, we want to leave. We've outgrown this area as we've grown up here and want more. Whether we look back and miss it or not we have that desire to experience somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
We plan on renting for the foreseeable future ((). The housing market is ridiculous right now and adding the fires out there plus the bureaucracy makes the housing a bit too top heavy for us.

DC is our second "home" as we visit two to three times a year. 14th street/dupont is our favorite area now that Alexandria has so much development going on. We have friends that also live out in Waterford, VA which is such a pretty area.

As I mentioned earlier, DC is where we had/have intentionally planned to be but this opportunity popped up so we shall see where it takes us. I've interviewed for a Federal position as well but the process is just takes so much longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #30
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I moved from TN to Hermosa Beach, CA, stayed for 2 years and came back, mostly for career but money was a consideration. Massively more expensive, didn't like it in the beginning but thought it was pretty nice after being there for a while.

You need to figure out your future income/costs and see how it compares with what you make and spend now. If money isn't an issue then just do what you want. I got a big raise when I went to CA from TN but in the end had less money left for spending.

Population of CA continues to go up, the "everyone is moving out" is wrong.

Recommend a visit before a complete move. Spend a couple of days where you plan to live and do the commute back and forth.

If you are pretty sure you want to do it then go for it. Much bigger mistake to always wish you did something and didn't than to try something and if it doesn't work out you make another change. Normally good for your career if you are willing to relocate. I grew up in FL, went to school in GA, then to OR, TN, CA, TN, now OH. Most relocations were for my job as something came available it and I took it. Once you relocate, give it some time as in the beginning it can be tough, try to get involved in things to meet people, after a year or so if you still don't like it look for something else. I have had a number of friends move, 3 months in they didn't like it and came back and I blame this on them and unwilling to stick it out. My wife didn't want to move to Cincinnati but now love our neighborhood and friends (and what we get for our money) and will likely never leave.
      03-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #31
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
I would never move out to California.

No offense to anyone that lives there, but from what I've heard from friends that have gone to California for vacation, "Cali folks are weird and not in a good way"

Plus, everything is expensive
Had a buddy tell me Chicago wasn't that bad either and the gov jobs were pretty easy to get. He was a tail gunner for a school bus.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19983920.00
TiMSport12792.50
      03-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #32
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Had a buddy tell me Chicago wasn't that bad either and the gov jobs were pretty easy to get. He was a tail gunner for a school bus.
I'm just tired of snow and the cold.

Plus, taxes are high asl here
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #33
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
My cousins one of them

Hopefully land, taxes, etc are low in Texas when I have enough saved up to buy a house.
Income taxes are low. Property taxes are definitely not. Opposite of CA, but if you own property in TX you're likely not paying much less in total taxes than here.

OP the Fremont area is a generally less expensive place than south bay. Real estate is insane and now is probably not a great time to buy as you've recognized. However, in terms of activities especially outdoors it is unbeatable here. As LOW4LYF mentioned you can ski/snowboard in the morning and surf in the evening after a 3-4 hour drive. Places like CO/UT may have better slopes but theres nowhere else in the country with the same package. There's never any humidity. I don't have AC at home and don't miss it (this may not apply to all of Bay Area, though, microclimates a big here). You can drive a convertible with the top down at night 11 months of the year and about 350 days/year in the daytime. If at any point in the day/year I am too hot or cold, perfect weather is typically within a 20-30 min drive. Yes the politics are shit but that's the one thing you just have to try and make the best of--SJ property tax is 1.22% if you do at some point decide to buy and I believe other areas are 0.77%.

Also--IMO traffic isn't awful here. There's been almost none with covid and even before then it wasn't worse than other cities, it's just weird because the bay is a bunch of towns that all run together so maybe one would expect less, but for certain it is MUCH better than LA, Houston, Dallas, or other densely populated areas.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6

Last edited by Vivek.; 03-16-2021 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #34
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Income taxes are low. Property taxes are definitely not. Opposite of CA, but if you own property in TX you're likely not paying much less in total taxes than here.

OP the Fremont area is a generally less expensive place than south bay. Real estate is insane and now is probably not a great time to buy as you've recognized. However, in terms of activities especially outdoors it is unbeatable here. As LOW4LYF mentioned you can ski/snowboard in the morning and surf in the evening after a 3-4 hour drive. Places like CO/UT may have better slopes but theres nowhere else in the country with the same package. There's never any humidity. I don't have AC at home and don't miss it (this may not apply to all of Bay Area, though, microclimates a big here). You can drive a convertible with the top down at night 11 months of the year and about 350 days/year in the daytime. If at any point in the day/year I am too hot or cold, perfect weather is typically within a 20-30 min drive. Yes the politics are shit but that's the one thing you just have to try and make the best of--SJ property tax is 1.22% if you do at some point decide to buy and I believe other areas are 0.77%.

Also--IMO traffic isn't awful here. There's been almost none with covid and even before then it wasn't worse than other cities, it's just weird because the bay is a bunch of towns that all run together so maybe one would expect less, but for certain it is MUCH better than LA, Houston, Dallas, or other densely populated areas.
I mean, my parents paid $15k last year for property tax on our current house.

Houses I've looked at on Zillow, their property tax is around $6k (Houston area)

Like this house for example:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...25460460_zpid/
idk how it went down to $2k
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1365.00
      03-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #35
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I mean, my parents paid $15k last year for property tax on our current house.

Houses I've looked at on Zillow, their property tax is around $6k (Houston area)

Like this house for example:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...25460460_zpid/
idk how it went down to $2k
Not sure how it work in Texas but in some states, property tax increases are capped for existing owners on their primary residences to avoid situations where people have to sell their houses because they can no afford the property taxes. However, when the house sells the taxes can reset for the new owner based on current appraised value or sales price. So it’s difficult to rely on current property taxes when estimating expenses for a future owner. Country property tax websites should have info on how the property taxes work following sales.
Mosaud19983920.00
David701567.00
      03-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #36
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I could never do CA. BEAUTIFUL state - no questions about it, but my last job was HQ'd in LA and every time I went there I wanted to shoot myself. Taxes, traffic, people, everything. Some very cool things about CA - but I'd never ever live there.
      03-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #37
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
As LOW4LYF mentioned you can ski/snowboard in the morning and surf in the evening after a 3-4 hour drive.
I am curious. For a person living in the Fremont area, where exactly would they ski and then where would they surf? How often do you guys do it? I've lived in both Southern Cal and Northern Cal and have heard this before but never met anyone who has done it. It's a long drive to get to a decent ski resort and then a longer opposite direction drive to the beach and then a long drive back home.
2022 K1600B
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #38
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt.ah3 View Post
I am curious. For a person living in the Fremont area, where exactly would they ski and then where would they surf? How often do you guys do it? I've lived in both Southern Cal and Northern Cal and have heard this before but never met anyone who has done it. It's a long drive to get to a decent ski resort and then a longer opposite direction drive to the beach and then a long drive back home.
That saying is more for Socal in my opinion. Who the hell wants to surf anywhere in Nor-Cal/SF, it's way too cold(ocean wise) most of the time lol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #39
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
For what it’s worth, I still feel the DC is the best bang for the buck. I make just as much as my California or NY colleagues, have a lower and better standard of living. I don’t think I’d move to California unless I was making millions per year. I feel that’s the only way you can truly enjoy California anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #40
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Hmm I don't know about that. Apples and oranges IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #41
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegump View Post
Could you elaborate on this? Crime? Distance?
i don't know anything about the specific area that you're talking about. i do know that much of the bay area and "nicer" areas of los angeles are plagued with tent cities. i know people living in million dollar houses in los angeles where there is a homeless encampment just yards away. you also have to go to the same gas stations and grocery stores as these people. they'll beg and you'll often get met with a fit if you say no because they are high/drunk/nuts or any combo of the above.
there is not currently a realistic solution in play, and it is only getting worse.

that being said, my wife and i specifically bought a house in an area that is inconvenient for people to be homeless- no great public transportation, and hills. if you're looking for a place that is very "walkable," its very walkable for shitbags too, and they'll be around.
x5wntd55.50
      03-16-2021, 08:18 PM   #42
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Haha that's virtually ALL of Orange County! That's why I liked living there.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11581.50
Vivek.1365.00
      03-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #43
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i don't know anything about the specific area that you're talking about. i do know that much of the bay area and "nicer" areas of los angeles are plagued with tent cities. i know people living in million dollar houses in los angeles where there is a homeless encampment just yards away. you also have to go to the same gas stations and grocery stores as these people. they'll beg and you'll often get met with a fit if you say no because they are high/drunk/nuts or any combo of the above.
there is not currently a realistic solution in play, and it is only getting worse.

that being said, my wife and i specifically bought a house in an area that is inconvenient for people to be homeless- no great public transportation, and hills. if you're looking for a place that is very "walkable," its very walkable for shitbags too, and they'll be around.
I'm right around the corner from you roastbeef. Also lived in LA for a long time and agree. You didn't even mention the joy of trying to get around in 1/2 lane streets just to get some groceries or whatvers.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      03-16-2021, 08:46 PM   #44
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt.ah3 View Post
Norcal surfing sucks, you have to be very hardcore to do it. But plenty of people are, it depends on what you enjoy. I'm in LG which is 20 min from Santa Cruz and ~3.75h from North Star in Tahoe, about 3.5 to south lake. Fremont would be ~20 min closer to Tahoe/further from the beach, all times assume minimal traffic and spirited driving.

So yeah you can wake up in Tahoe, ski til noon, get to the beach around 4 and catch the warmest time in the ocean.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 1