New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #287
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2431
Rep
9,678
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Kaiyo, Nikka, or Hibiki whisky? The former two they have and Hibiki is harder to find but I think I can get a bottle for $80 at Target (vs $55-60 for Kaiyo and Nikka at Costco).

Edit: decided to drive to a Target 15 miles away to get it. Price matched it to their website for $68.99. Ran into a colleague there too. Lol we both had masks on so he didn't recognize me.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #288
Donatello.
New Member
29
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

running low on booze so ordered from a local distillery that I did not even know existed before yesterday. it's always good to support local businesses as well!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
Hawkeye1690.00
      04-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #289
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2431
Rep
9,678
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Is Yamazaki 12 a good deal at $82?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #290
Tim1981
New Member
Tim1981's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Been getting into whiskey and scotch a lot in the past year. Have only tried a few like Macallan, Pendleton, Whistlepig, High West, Jack Daniel’s, and The Glenlivet. Like wine, whiskey and scotch can be bought for cheap with good quality and can go up exponentially for even higher quality, smoother taste, etc.

Started this thread so we can discuss, make recommendations, and share the passion!
I recently tried a cocktail by mixing kahlua with glenfiddich... it turned out to be delicious ... you guys can try this .... completely different taste to your palate.
__________________
Ladakh Spiti Bike Trip
I now know, by an almost fatalistic conformity with the facts, that my destiny is to travel .. Motorcycle Diaries Ladakh
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #291
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
1571
Rep
1,012
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Is Yamazaki 12 a good deal at $82?
According to this, yes.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/t...t+whisky+japan

Total Wine special?
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #292
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
WhiskyPat12's Avatar
United_States
6678
Rep
2,296
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Is Yamazaki 12 a good deal at $82?
I think that's a good price, I can't seem to find it anywhere at all online to check for sure.. It's a very good whisky.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
You are a bad person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 1
BMW F222431.00
      04-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #293
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2431
Rep
9,678
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Is Yamazaki 12 a good deal at $82?
According to this, yes.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/t...t+whisky+japan

Total Wine special?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Is Yamazaki 12 a good deal at $82?
I think that's a good price, I can't seem to find it anywhere at all online to check for sure.. It's a very good whisky.
I'm curious to try but will hold off for now. I'm sure it's good but been buying too much. Just bought another bottle of Japanese whisky (Kaiyo Oak) yesterday. Pix below. Wasn't planning on buying but was returning something and saw it was the last bottle so...lol

You guys should be able to buy it. I think they go for about $120 online. Here's how: out of curiosity I was searching for Yamazaki 12 on Google last night and Instacart popped up showing $49.99. After delivery fees and tips it was $82 or so (no sales tax). It looks like it was at Costco so I wanted to call the local one and do stock search: nothing. Went to wash car this morning and went back to check and they had added tax now bringing it to $87-88. I have no idea which store (Target, Costco, FoodMaxx?) has it in stock but I'll just wait for Costco to get it back in stock in the future and buy it there. Supposedly they get it in every now and then and sell it for $80.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #294
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
WhiskyPat12's Avatar
United_States
6678
Rep
2,296
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I'm curious to try but will hold off for now. I'm sure it's good but been buying too much.
I go through spurts of buying and not buying. I'm sure you'll find your speed lol

Typically I go a few months of buying 1-2 bottles every month. Some are new to try out, others replacements of ones I enjoy, and some are just to hold onto for a while.

After a few months of that, I'll start to notice that I have quite a few open bottles, and decide to hold off buying until I create some empties.

Tonight for example, is this Glenfiddich Fire and Cane. I don't care for it enough to buy it again, so it's time to kill the bottle and move on. Over the past few weeks I've killed my Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength, Red Breast 12 Cask Strength, Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin (I've got plenty of this in stock), and Elijah Craig.

I'll probably go back and start buying some bottles in the next month or so.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
You are a bad person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 1
Murf99310199.50
      04-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #295
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2431
Rep
9,678
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
I go through spurts of buying and not buying. I'm sure you'll find your speed lol

Typically I go a few months of buying 1-2 bottles every month. Some are new to try out, others replacements of ones I enjoy, and some are just to hold onto for a while.

After a few months of that, I'll start to notice that I have quite a few open bottles, and decide to hold off buying until I create some empties.

Tonight for example, is this Glenfiddich Fire and Cane. I don't care for it enough to buy it again, so it's time to kill the bottle and move on. Over the past few weeks I've killed my Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength, Red Breast 12 Cask Strength, Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin (I've got plenty of this in stock), and Elijah Craig.

I'll probably go back and start buying some bottles in the next month or so.
Yup. Agreed. I just started buying and collecting whiskey in the last 4-5 weeks. Already finished 5-6 bottles of about 18 bottles or so I bought. That’s average of 4 bottles a week! 😂 It’s been a bit warm here last few days so not drinking as much. The rest should last me until Fall if moderate drinking. But yeah, will find my speed for sure. 😆
Appreciate 2
Murf99310199.50
      04-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #296
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
1571
Rep
1,012
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Picked up a trio of Kaiyo from K&L Wines earlier in the week that got delivered today. My understanding is they buy up teaspooned whisky from other distilleries and then age them in Mizunara oak which gives it a pretty unique flavor profile since barrels out of this type of wood are hard to make and costlier than regular oak. They’re then put on a boat for aging so are constantly rocking and exposed to salty sea air.

L to R:
7 year single malt
The peated
Cask #543 Cask strength

Name:  DC5D9E1B-2CA0-4E0C-A9CE-E54F0253A877.jpeg
Views: 644
Size:  71.2 KB
Appreciate 2
chris7194606.00
      04-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #297
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
Hawkeye's Avatar
No_Country
1690
Rep
4,330
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
After a few months of that, I'll start to notice that I have quite a few open bottles, and decide to hold off buying until I create some empties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Yup. Agreed. I just started buying and collecting whiskey in the last 4-5 weeks. Already finished 5-6 bottles of about 18 bottles or so I bought. That’s average of 4 bottles a week! 😂 It’s been a bit warm here last few days so not drinking as much. The rest should last me until Fall if moderate drinking. But yeah, will find my speed for sure. 😆
4 a week isn't a bad pace, and Whiskey does not really go bad if stored correctly. If you start getting under 1/2 full the air takes over a bit more but nothing to be too concerned about. I generally have between 100 and 120 bottles open at any given time.
__________________
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe • 6 MT • Black Saphire Metallic • PP • SP • Heated M Seats • Clutch Stop • Stubby
2008 R6 • Raven Black • GPR Steering Stabilizer • Comp Werks FE • Hotbodies Flush Mount Blinkers
2016 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Premium Plus 4x4 • K&N CAI • Toyo G2 LT305/55R20
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7548.00
chris7194606.00
      04-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #298
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
7548
Rep
1,892
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
4 a week isn't a bad pace, and Whiskey does not really go bad if stored correctly. If you start getting under 1/2 full the air takes over a bit more but nothing to be too concerned about. I generally have between 100 and 120 bottles open at any given time.
I'm nowhere near you, but I usually have 10 to 12 bottles open at any time. One is 7/8th's gone (because I've drank it) and I've been saving it for years. I do believe the angels have gotten way more than their share from that one though. Little bitter about that one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
he's Canadian. By international law we all must worship him and all other products of the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Joe's mind and vocabulary are much like being served something that you don't want to swallow on a 24k gold platter.....with 5 star service.
Appreciate 2
Murf99310199.50
      04-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #299
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
WhiskyPat12's Avatar
United_States
6678
Rep
2,296
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
4 a week isn't a bad pace, and Whiskey does not really go bad if stored correctly. If you start getting under 1/2 full the air takes over a bit more but nothing to be too concerned about. I generally have between 100 and 120 bottles open at any given time.
Do you gas your bottles? The ones I referred to emptying in the post above are the ones that get below the half mark. Any that I want to save after opening (that I wont come back to for a while) I gas the bottle.

I also do this when I do a dry month.

I have no clue if it actually helps, but I've read that it does. If you remove all the oxygen and gas them with something inert, you eliminate oxidization.


For the newbs: NEVER STORE WHISKY ON ITS SIDE!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
You are a bad person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #300
Da808dad
Second Lieutenant
Da808dad's Avatar
United_States
213
Rep
286
Posts

Drives: 2019 M850i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mililani, HI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Is Yamazaki 12 a good deal at $82?
Yes that is a good deal. Even if you can find it in Japan you are looking at paying more than double that price and finding a bottle outside of Japan at that price point is probably even harder.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #301
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2431
Rep
9,678
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
4 a week isn't a bad pace, and Whiskey does not really go bad if stored correctly. If you start getting under 1/2 full the air takes over a bit more but nothing to be too concerned about. I generally have between 100 and 120 bottles open at any given time.
Curious: does sunlight ruin whiskey? I know that with wine that’s a big no no. I store it on our fireplace slab which keeps it nice and cool but some light shines through towards end of day via the backyard sliding door. It’s not full exposure so I don’t worry about it but curious if it needs to be dark like it is for wine.

And dang...100-120 bottles?!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #302
m630
Captain
m630's Avatar
735
Rep
958
Posts

Drives: '19 X2 M35i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc/li

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Is Yamazaki 12 a good deal at $82?
Great deal !
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #303
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
Hawkeye's Avatar
No_Country
1690
Rep
4,330
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
Do you gas your bottles? The ones I referred to emptying in the post above are the ones that get below the half mark. Any that I want to save after opening (that I wont come back to for a while) I gas the bottle.

I also do this when I do a dry month.

I have no clue if it actually helps, but I've read that it does. If you remove all the oxygen and gas them with something inert, you eliminate oxidization.


For the newbs: NEVER STORE WHISKY ON ITS SIDE!
I do not gas my bottles because I drink almost all of them in a normal rotation. Anything I do not like I give away or sell. I know people do gas and it does cut down on oxydation, but only really needed if below half full or you are not going to drink it for more than 3-6 months IMO. The whiskeys open up and change flavor with the oxygen but usually for the better. I have not had any issues and a few of mine were open well over a year before I finished them. I do drink quicker once they are less than half full.

And yes, never store on its side. With wine it keeps the cork moist and from drying up but whiskey is a much higher alcohol content and will deteriorate the cork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Curious: does sunlight ruin whiskey? I know that with wine that’s a big no no. I store it on our fireplace slab which keeps it nice and cool but some light shines through towards end of day via the backyard sliding door. It’s not full exposure so I don’t worry about it but curious if it needs to be dark like it is for wine.

And dang...100-120 bottles?!
Yes, direct sun exposure or heat will make whiskey go bad a lot quicker than a normal room temp and darker area. I keep direct light off of my collection.
__________________
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe • 6 MT • Black Saphire Metallic • PP • SP • Heated M Seats • Clutch Stop • Stubby
2008 R6 • Raven Black • GPR Steering Stabilizer • Comp Werks FE • Hotbodies Flush Mount Blinkers
2016 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Premium Plus 4x4 • K&N CAI • Toyo G2 LT305/55R20
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #304
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
2431
Rep
9,678
Posts

Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (8)

Sipping on some Kaiyo and Hibiki tonight. The Kaiyo tastes very similar to Scotch.

What whisk(e)y are folks drinking with dinner tonight?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #305
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
2091
Rep
2,399
Posts

Drives: 228iX & M2C
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Curious: does sunlight ruin whiskey? I know that with wine that’s a big no no. I store it on our fireplace slab which keeps it nice and cool but some light shines through towards end of day via the backyard sliding door. It’s not full exposure so I don’t worry about it but curious if it needs to be dark like it is for wine.

And dang...100-120 bottles?!
It will deteriorate it, that is part of the reason why so many come in boxes or tubes. I don't think it matters over shorter pperiods, but longer term it could be bad. Early on I learned the hard way - I got a bottle of Talisker 18 that had been out in a window display and it was noticeably off of what I was used to.

I also use the Argon gas for my better varieties that I don't drink that often, like the Laproaig 18yo.

For corks, I was told to tip the bottles every so often to keep them moistened (new/unopened bottles). When I'm good, I take the cases and tip them 45 degrees every 3-6 months.
Appreciate 3
Hawkeye1690.00
chris7194606.00
      04-29-2020, 01:28 AM   #306
chris719
Brigadier General
4606
Rep
4,805
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
It will deteriorate it, that is part of the reason why so many come in boxes or tubes. I don't think it matters over shorter pperiods, but longer term it could be bad. Early on I learned the hard way - I got a bottle of Talisker 18 that had been out in a window display and it was noticeably off of what I was used to.

I also use the Argon gas for my better varieties that I don't drink that often, like the Laproaig 18yo.

For corks, I was told to tip the bottles every so often to keep them moistened (new/unopened bottles). When I'm good, I take the cases and tip them 45 degrees every 3-6 months.
Good advice. You might be the first person I've heard of to flush whisk(e)y bottles with an inert gas. I've not noticed much issue with the taste of opened bottles that are stored in dark place as far as oxidation goes, but the corks are a problem like you mentioned. It is unfortunate to open an older bottle and have the cork crumble in.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:47 AM   #307
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
1571
Rep
1,012
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Good advice. You might be the first person I've heard of to flush whisk(e)y bottles with an inert gas. I've not noticed much issue with the taste of opened bottles that are stored in dark place as far as oxidation goes, but the corks are a problem like you mentioned. It is unfortunate to open an older bottle and have the cork crumble in.
Inert gas is one solution, but I’ve also heard of a lot of people also just moving their bottle into progressively smaller bottles to reduce the available volume of air in the bottle and the surface area being exposed to that air.
Appreciate 1
chris7194606.00
      04-29-2020, 01:49 AM   #308
chris719
Brigadier General
4606
Rep
4,805
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Great deal !
I used to be able to get this for $49 any day of the week until it completely disappeared one day and came back months later at this new price . The Hakushu 12 was only $59 too.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST