New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #3499
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Quote:
Yes. We visually estimate first and the LIDAR is a confirmation tool. It doesn't have to match. We are certified through the state as being trained to visually estimate and we were tested prior to certification. I'll bring my LIDAR with me if I roll out to hang with you in July. Watch how people slow down when they see the gun. Lol! I'll let you visually estimate first and then shoot to see how close you are. It's not difficult honestly. We do it in our natural environments every day (…changing lanes, crossing streets, etc.).
A coworker of a friend of mine was ticketed for speeding and decided to challenge it in court. He worked at a company that designed and built radar systems for American tanks. He spent nearly an hour in court describing all the flaws of and different ways police radar could give a false reading. After he was done the judge asked him what made him such an expert on radar. He told the judge that he was in fact an expert on radar systems and that he designs them for foreign military use. The judge responded with something along the lines of, Ok, I see. He then asked the LEO if he thought the defendant was speeding. The LEO said yes and the judge said "Guilty. Pay the fine on your way out."
There's plenty of case law supporting the efficacy of radar/lidar. That's why the judge ruled in favor of the officer as well. The errors that do exist in radar benefit the motorist (….cosine effect).
Have you ever seen a traffic lawyer use cosine error to get a client out of a speeding ticket?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #3500
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
She's fun to toss flirty comments and innuendo at. Lol!
Yes I've seen it personally, but damn if you're not quick to the trigger. Lol.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00
      06-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #3501
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Mountie: "That's right. My radar is properly calibrated. Thanks."

Lady Jane: "I bet it's…..calibrated….really, really well, Sir!"

Mountie: "If you have some free time I can show you how well…it….works. It shoots a mighty fine beam if the spread is wide enough."

<mic drop>
Pervert...
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25055.00
mahalom3163.00
      06-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #3502
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
Quote:
Yes. We visually estimate first and the LIDAR is a confirmation tool. It doesn't have to match. We are certified through the state as being trained to visually estimate and we were tested prior to certification. I'll bring my LIDAR with me if I roll out to hang with you in July. Watch how people slow down when they see the gun. Lol! I'll let you visually estimate first and then shoot to see how close you are. It's not difficult honestly. We do it in our natural environments every day (…changing lanes, crossing streets, etc.).
A coworker of a friend of mine was ticketed for speeding and decided to challenge it in court. He worked at a company that designed and built radar systems for American tanks. He spent nearly an hour in court describing all the flaws of and different ways police radar could give a false reading. After he was done the judge asked him what made him such an expert on radar. He told the judge that he was in fact an expert on radar systems and that he designs them for foreign military use. The judge responded with something along the lines of, Ok, I see. He then asked the LEO if he thought the defendant was speeding. The LEO said yes and the judge said "Guilty. Pay the fine on your way out."
There's plenty of case law supporting the efficacy of radar/lidar. That's why the judge ruled in favor of the officer as well. The errors that do exist in radar benefit the motorist (….cosine effect).
Have you ever seen a traffic lawyer use cosine error to get a client out of a speeding ticket?
Not personally……simply because the cosine produces a lower speed reading than is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
She's fun to toss flirty comments and innuendo at. Lol!
Yes I've seen it personally, but damn if you're not quick to the trigger. Lol.
Lol! Live in the gutter and everything that comes out of your mouth will be perverted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Quote:
Mountie: "That's right. My radar is properly calibrated. Thanks."

Lady Jane: "I bet it's…..calibrated….really, really well, Sir!"

Mountie: "If you have some free time I can show you how well…it….works. It shoots a mighty fine beam if the spread is wide enough."

<mic drop>
Pervert...
Guilty as charged. I hope you brought your gavel. It's required to bang.

Ok, okay….I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #3503
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:

Guilty as charged. I hope you brought your gavel.

Gavel...? HA!

Attachment 2628079

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Buug95917382.50
cmyx6go15696.50
      06-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #3504
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Quote:
When I say homeless like being homeless, I realize that it's a generalization and not every person fits that mold; there are outliers and percentages that don't enjoy those conditions. That said, there are large percentages that do, and that is why the situations are so pervasive.
This is the ugly truth that the well meaning, though generally misinformed, public fails to realize. My wife worked in the community court serving one of the largest homeless populations in the country for many years(Portland) and it was a revolving door of kids from middle class homes that like the lifestyle and want to rebel and older people that want to be left alone to do as they please.

The ones that are homeless and don't want to be are the ones taking advantage of every program available to get back on their feet. The public thinks that all homeless people are these people, but they really aren't. These are the invisible homeless. They aren't living in tent communities, destroying neighborhoods and stealing things to feed an addiction.

There is a significant portion with mental illnesses, but without institutionalizing this portion of the homeless population, you cannot treat them. The others that came through the system were offered treatment and housing as a means help break the cycle and 95% of the time they would take the fine, knowing they wouldn't pay it, and go back to what they are doing.

Its a shitty realization to come to, but my wife saw this day in and day out for years. All the best intentions in the world won't make someone take help when they don't want it.
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Buug95917382.50
Lady Jane70768.00
Joekerr7929.00
jmack548.50
      06-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #3505
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
Quote:
When I say homeless like being homeless, I realize that it's a generalization and not every person fits that mold; there are outliers and percentages that don't enjoy those conditions. That said, there are large percentages that do, and that is why the situations are so pervasive.
This is the ugly truth that the well meaning, though generally misinformed, public fails to realize. My wife worked in the community court serving one of the largest homeless populations in the country for many years(Portland) and it was a revolving door of kids from middle class homes that like the lifestyle and want to rebel and older people that want to be left alone to do as they please.

The ones that are homeless and don't want to be are the ones taking advantage of every program available to get back on their feet. The public thinks that all homeless people are these people, but they really aren't. These are the invisible homeless. They aren't living in tent communities, destroying neighborhoods and stealing things to feed an addiction.

There is a significant portion with mental illnesses, but without institutionalizing this portion of the homeless population, you cannot treat them. The others that came through the system were offered treatment and housing as a means help break the cycle and 95% of the time they would take the fine, knowing they wouldn't pay it, and go back to what they are doing.

Its a shitty realization to come to, but my wife saw this day in and day out for years. All the best intentions in the world won't make someone take help when they don't want it.
+1

This, my friends, is the hard truth. Another fine point that you mentioned is the administration of fines, and to be more specific: warrants. The homeless population is ripe with individuals who have them, but we generally leave them alone unless it's a no-bail warrant (…which mandates a hard booking, much like Prop.47). They are often repeat offenders who have no desire to clean up their act(s).
Appreciate 4
Murf99314114.00
Buug95917382.50
vreihen1615239.50
jmack548.50
      06-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #3506
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
+1

This, my friends, is the hard truth.
Pretty much. Our society will always have new poor & homeless.

"The American economy runs on poverty, or at least the constant threat of it."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/13/o...s-poverty.html

If we didn't have the successful programs to get the willing housed & off the street that we do have, even more would suffer.

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-15-2021 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #3507
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

Yes. I worked in downtown Toronto for much of my career. A huge homeless population. Tons of shelter beds that for the most part remain empty even in the middle of cold shitty winters. Mental health issues, drug addiction, violence, petty crime etc are rampant. They have put these shelters in marginal areas but have also started putting them in more affluent neighbourhoods.......now all the progressive folks are dealing with human waste, dirty needles and crime right on their doorsteps literally and figuratively. There are camp grounds set up in just about every park in the city with no method to treat the drug addiction and more of a significant problem in my view serious mental illness.

In the 90's the Ontario government changed many sections of the Mental Health Act, so patients were related from secure facilities where they got three squares, a clean bed, treatment and medication. I get that wasn't a perfect solution but I think the argument is easily made that it was much better than what we have now. Some of the ongoing "remedies" being implemented and proposed are safe injection sites and decriminalizing all drugs in Toronto.....I'm going to predict this isn't going to make it better but what do I know, I'm just an old retired policeman.
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Buug95917382.50
vreihen1615239.50
Littlebear3509.50
paquet629.50
      06-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #3508
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Cool thread. I think I have an awesome question. One that I never thought I would ask. So here it is.

Why in the world would any man or woman stay being a police officer today knowing what you know now? Don’t get me wrong if you’re a couple years from retirement I get that but other than that why would you?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615239.50
      06-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #3509
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:

Yes. I worked in downtown Toronto for much of my career. A huge homeless population. Tons of shelter beds that for the most part remain empty even in the middle of cold shitty winters. Mental health issues, drug addiction, violence, petty crime etc are rampant. They have put these shelters in marginal areas but have also started putting them in more affluent neighbourhoods.......now all the progressive folks are dealing with human waste, dirty needles and crime right on their doorsteps literally and figuratively. There are camp grounds set up in just about every park in the city with no method to treat the drug addiction and more of a significant problem in my view serious mental illness.

In the 90's the Ontario government changed many sections of the Mental Health Act, so patients were related from secure facilities where they got three squares, a clean bed, treatment and medication. I get that wasn't a perfect solution but I think the argument is easily made that it was much better than what we have now. Some of the ongoing "remedies" being implemented and proposed are safe injection sites and decriminalizing all drugs in Toronto.....I'm going to predict this isn't going to make it better but what do I know, I'm just an old retired policeman.
It's going to turn Toronto into Portland or Seattle. Ughhhh! California isn't too far off. Pretty soon people will be able to commit many crimes right in front of me and I'll just whistle Dixie and watch it happen.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      06-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #3510
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Cool thread. I think I have an awesome question. One that I never thought I would ask. So here it is.

Why in the world would any man or woman stay being a police officer today knowing what you know now? Don't get me wrong if you're a couple years from retirement I get that but other than that why would you?
If you're more than 8-10 years in, there's no point in leaving. I would wager than someone with 5+ might as well stay. Most retirements start at 18-ish years and span up to 30+ (…the percentage is based on years of service/longevity plus the average of your 3 or 4 highest earning years), so at the very least, someone with 10 years on only need do an additional 8 to get the bare minimum retirement. One could manipulate that further by killing overtime for a few years to bump your average(s). So the simple answer is……retirement. Secondly, job stability/benefits…..which are very, very good.

Here in California, the vast majority of us make at least $120k (…$10k gross monthly) with minimal/moderate overtime on the low end as line officers/deputies/troopers. Add significant overtime and a line patrolman can clear maybe $140k. Even with zero overtime my base pay is six figures and I'm not even at top step……not even close.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      06-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #3511
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's going to turn Toronto into Portland or Seattle. Ughhhh! California isn't too far off. Pretty soon people will be able to commit many crimes right in front of me and I'll just whistle Dixie and watch it happen.
I saw something earlier today on Twitter, so it could be wrong but it was a video with the caption that San Francisco has decriminalized petty theft? It sounds bizarre but here in Ontario the Liquor Control Board of Ontario LCBO the sole seller of spirits won't stop you if you shop lift liquor, they lose over $200 Million a year to people just picking up bottles and walking out.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00
      06-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #3512
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you're more than 8-10 years in, there's no point in leaving. Most retirements start at 18-ish years and span up to 30+, so at the very least, someone with 10 years on only need do an additional 8 to get the bare minimum retirement. One could manipulate that further by killing overtime for a few years to bump your average(s). So the simple answer is……retirement.
Is the retirement really worth taking the chance of the media and even police leadership and local politicians sacrificing your life (subsequently taking out your families life as well) if you ever get involved in a justified shooting that’s not politically correct at this particular moment in time? It’s happening all over the place right now. I don’t see any way to reverse it or end in sight. I pray I’m wrong on this. I just don’t see it doing anything but getting worse. What I am talking about now is not opinion or speculation it is hard cold facts. It’s not like police officers make a whole ton of money to begin with. I just can’t see taking the risk. Plus it would bother me personally knowing how unappreciated I was by what seems to be half the country at this point. This is why I asked. I wouldn’t blame these men and women if every last one of them all quit tomorrow. Quite frankly I think the country deserves it the way we’ve crapped all over the police this past year. For those of you who are police officers you have my most sincere apology. You people are most definitely needed and appreciated by lots of us still.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      06-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #3513
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you're more than 8-10 years in, there's no point in leaving. Most retirements start at 18-ish years and span up to 30+, so at the very least, someone with 10 years on only need do an additional 8 to get the bare minimum retirement. One could manipulate that further by killing overtime for a few years to bump your average(s). So the simple answer is……retirement.
Is the retirement really worth taking the chance of the media and even police leadership and local politicians sacrificing your life (subsequently taking out your families life as well) if you ever get involved in a justified shooting that's not politically correct at this particular moment in time? It's happening all over the place right now. I don't see any way to reverse it or end in sight. I pray I'm wrong on this. I just don't see it doing anything but getting worse. What I am talking about now is not opinion or speculation it is hard cold facts. It's not like police officers make a whole ton of money to begin with. I just can't see taking the risk. Plus it would bother me personally knowing how unappreciated I was by what seems to be half the country at this point. This is why I asked. I wouldn't blame these men and women if every last one of them all quit tomorrow. Quite frankly I think the country deserves it the way we've crapped all over the police this past year. For those of you who are police officers you have my most sincere apology. You people are most definitely needed and appreciated by lots of us still.
The retirement is worth it. Where you work changes your options significantly. Someone who works for a small(er) department is more limited than someone who works for a large Sheriff's department like me or mahalom3. We don't have to stay in patrol. We can work custody, hospitals, courts, …..this or that. If we want(ed) to limit exposure to the public - which I will be doing in the next 2-3 years max - we could transfer. Leaving wouldn't make sense despite the liability because we're already too deep, and easily matching our pay in the private sector would be more difficult…..plus the volatility. At 55 or 57, whichever applies, we can leave and sit on our asses making 50-85% of our highest pay depending on years of service. I have enough years in the private sector to also collect Social Security…..IF it still exists by the time I retire.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      06-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #3514
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The retirement is worth it. Where you work changes your options significantly. Someone who works for a small(er) department is more limited than someone who works for a large Sheriff's department like me or mahalom3. We don't have to stay in patrol. We can work custody, hospitals, courts, …..this or that. If we want(ed) to limit exposure to the public - which I will be doing in the next 2-3 years max - we could transfer. Leaving wouldn't make sense despite the liability because we're already too deep, and easily matching our pay in the private sector would be more difficult…..plus the volatility. At 55 or 57, whichever applies, we can leave and sit on our asses making 50-85% of our highest pay depending on years of service. I have enough years in the private sector to also collect Social Security…..IF it still exists by the time I retire.
That totally makes sense. I appreciate you sharing that. Stay safe man. I personally am more worried about your safety when it comes to government than I am criminals. Blessings to you.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      06-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #3515
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That totally makes sense. I appreciate you sharing that. Stay safe man. I personally am more worried about your safety when it comes to government than I am criminals. Blessings to you.
We all appreciate the support. Thank you!
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615239.50
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      06-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #3516
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:

Nothing is easy. These kids were supposed to get three square daily, too.

"British Columbia once housed 500 children.
A mass grave containing the remains of 215 children has been found in Canada at a former residential school set up to assimilate indigenous people"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57291530

Institutionalization was often a horror story (see: "One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest"). If/when we go back to that style, it will have to be with big changes.

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-15-2021 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #3517
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
It’s not like police officers make a whole ton of money to begin with.
IF you read any of this thread, you would see there are a LOT of those "serving" who aren't in it JUST for the money. It is a calling to many.

They still make a decent living, while probably not enough to compensate for living with one foot in the gutter all the time.

2.7@50 ain't nuttin to sneeze at for retirement, either. Our previous chief started as a patrol officer, then first K-9, and rose to chief. After nearly 40 years in the same department, he retired making more than working. I still provide some IT support to him personally, and he's always showing me the last 'Vette he picked up, (because the previous one needed service from the dealer )

My bad, I get 2.7@55. PD gets 3@50

Last edited by UncleWede; 06-16-2021 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      06-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #3518
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you're more than 8-10 years in, there's no point in leaving. I would wager than someone with 5+ might as well stay. Most retirements start at 18-ish years and span up to 30+ (…the percentage is based on years of service/longevity plus the average of your 3 or 4 highest earning years), so at the very least, someone with 10 years on only need do an additional 8 to get the bare minimum retirement. One could manipulate that further by killing overtime for a few years to bump your average(s). So the simple answer is……retirement. Secondly, job stability/benefits…..which are very, very good.

Here in California, the vast majority of us make at least $120k (…$10k gross monthly) with minimal/moderate overtime on the low end as line officers/deputies/troopers. Add significant overtime and a line patrolman can clear maybe $140k. Even with zero overtime my base pay is six figures and I'm not even at top step……not even close.
Guy, that's like $8 Million Canadian dollars.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615239.50
upstatedoc7559.50
Sedan_Clan25055.00
mahalom3163.00
      06-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #3519
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Nothing is easy. These kids were supposed to get three square daily, too.

"British Columbia once housed 500 children.
A mass grave containing the remains of 215 children has been found in Canada at a former residential school set up to assimilate indigenous people"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57291530

Institutionalization was often a horror story (see: "One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest"). If/when we go back to that style, it will have to be with big changes.
So the Residential School story is a long and storied thing. I've done a lot of work in fly in First Nation communities, they are plagued with substance abuse, mental health issues, physical and sexual abuse. FN isn't a simple Google/Wiki search. There is clearly problems with the system that was, but you also need to look at it through the lens that was 150 years ago moving forward. If you want to compare the two, FN Reservations vs homelessness I'm happy to talk about that as I have some experience with both.....but I don't think you'll like my take on either.
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7929.00
paquet629.50
      06-15-2021, 05:51 PM   #3520
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
I saw something earlier today on Twitter, so it could be wrong but it was a video with the caption that San Francisco has decriminalized petty theft? It sounds bizarre but here in Ontario the Liquor Control Board of Ontario LCBO the sole seller of spirits won't stop you if you shop lift liquor, they lose over $200 Million a year to people just picking up bottles and walking out.
Are you fricking kidding me??? And here was me, for the past 20+ years paying for my bottles like an idiot? And I just did it again tonight. Frick. Frick. Frick. I had no idea. My scotch collection could have been so big, and so impressive by now.
Appreciate 2
Buug95917382.50
Murf99314114.00