New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #45
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
Mine just started to rattle in the roof, not all the time but once in a while. right behind my head (not in it) so I'll look around for the plastic bit that was mentioned earlier.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #46
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Final Solution

I had the dealer apply lubricant to all the rubber seals in the roof and all the noises went away.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #47
lrc454
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30i Steptronic

Taking ours in to BMW dealer this Friday. Top up would have incessant squeaking. I applied silicone lubricant to the gaskets and that seemed to stop it but not for long. Eventually, a rub mark showed up where the top met the body. It actually rubbed a hole in the black metal border where the top meets the car, right side of the window. I've applied foam tape to the spot as a temporary solution until the top can be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #48
ApolloZ4
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrc454 View Post
Taking ours in to BMW dealer this Friday. Top up would have incessant squeaking. I applied silicone lubricant to the gaskets and that seemed to stop it but not for long. Eventually, a rub mark showed up where the top met the body. It actually rubbed a hole in the black metal border where the top meets the car, right side of the window. I've applied foam tape to the spot as a temporary solution until the top can be adjusted.

My roof also caused a little hole in the black border - the dealer replaced the border and adjusted the roof a few weeks ago - since they adjusted the roof I have the rattle/vibration coming from the back - think it's coming from or behind the black trim next to the rear screen.

I have lubricated the rubber seals with Gummi Pfledge and also tried sticky pads in various places behind the trim but it made no difference.

Going back to the dealer this week for them to listen to it - however it is worse the warmer the weather is!

Stu
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #49
lrc454
Enlisted Member
Rep

Did they cover the adjustment and replacement black border under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #50
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

I had exactly the same symptoms as AppolloZ4, even with the rattles after the first repair (roof too loose - ooooh). Everything, including replacement of the punctured black border, was done under warranty (BMW Germany).

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #51
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

One of the FEW joys of being old and hearing impaired, you just turn the hearing aids off, crank up the premium sound, smash the throttle and all is well in the world.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #52
ApolloZ4
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrc454 View Post
Did they cover the adjustment and replacement black border under warranty?
yeah, all covered by warranty

After my post yesterday I decided to visit the dealer straight away so they could hear the rattle - It is now booked in for 13th July ( first available courtesy car and also the "Rattle Technician" is on vacation next week )

Stu
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #53
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
My experience is like Rubber Ducky,,,, 2007 335i cab NEVER made any noises !!

Try a little rubber lubrication on the rear top seal. Quieted my Z down a lot.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #54
MDLFCS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Zee Four 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedoc67 View Post
One of the FEW joys of being old and hearing impaired, you just turn the hearing aids off, crank up the premium sound, smash the throttle and all is well in the world.
I sometimes use that freedom. However, being the car is new and under warranty, I would want to make sure that everything is taken care of in the few years I have left with it. Hopefully, I am able to hear the possible noises and get that resolved when that happens. So, far I have not heard any rattles, but that could be drowned by the road noise, which my $6K aids aren't helping much yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #55
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

I hear the rattle ALOT now. I gotta take mine in for service once I can free up some time. It has become quite annoying. I can't seem to locate it though as it is somewhere RIGHT behind me. Hopefully a fix is found!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #56
lrc454
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update on my top adjustment where it had been gouging the decklid panel. BMW's comments:
"Adusted rear shell. Maxed on adjustment without completing major adjust. Achieved .5MM clearance. Adjusted rear decklid tilt on both sides to match angle of rear shell. Adjusted trunk lid gaps to rear decklid. Now at approx. 2MM clearance between rear shell corners and decklid finish panel. Rear decklid finish panel is on order."

This top adjustment took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to complete.

I go back July 21 for the decklid replacement. According to BMW this is a 3 hour job. Wow, I thought it might just snap in but apparently not.

Fix appears to be succesful so far, no squeaks yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #57
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
I've only had my car a week but I HATE driving it with the roof up - every time I go over even the smallest of bumps it creaks. It drives me mad with a weird crack/creak type noise from somewhere behind me. I can't work out where its coming from but there's so many moving parts and components that could cause it I'm clueless.

I've put some sticky backed felt type stuff on the little nib that sticks out of the rear window section, the part that inserts into the rear deck once its closed. Doubt its that though if I move the parts in that area nothing makes the right sort of sound.

The only place I think it could be is the plastic trim just inside the rear window part of the top, the parts that run down the vertical part of the rear window, the very top of this trim on the back edge is very very close to the rear glass, just above the two connectors of the heated rear screen. I've put some more soft felt on the glass itself, where the plastic could touch. We'll see if that cures it....

The car is going in to the local garage in Leeds next week (Scothall) for another issue so I've asked them to look at it. See what happens.

Cheers

David
http://www.z4bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #58
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

The noise is caused by the rubber seals on the roof.

My dealer sprayed the rubber seals a few months ago and the noises went away for a couple months, then returned.

When in for an oil change last week, my dealer gave me a can of rubber cleaner/conditioner ( not a lubrican, as I mentioned in an earlier post) to spray on the rubber seals.

This has solved the problem. It seems the rubber seals need to be sprayed periodically.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-07-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #59
tot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive35i

I had some noise coming from the passenger side. I noticed that on the passenger side the rear window closed more tightly against the rear deck.

I readjusted that side to maximum clearance and so far so good. Due to the summer I have driven top up only twice since then, but no noises either time.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #60
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tot View Post
I had some noise coming from the passenger side. I noticed that on the passenger side the rear window closed more tightly against the rear deck.

I readjusted that side to maximum clearance and so far so good. Due to the summer I have driven top up only twice since then, but no noises either time.
Can you explain exactly what you did when you, "readjusted that side"?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #61
tot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Can you explain exactly what you did when you, "readjusted that side"?
I you lift the rear window up, you'll see there are two rubber covered stops sticking out on each side on the roof structure.

I moved the bottom one on the passenger side to the topmost position (loosen the torx screw and slide it). The screws are pretty tight, I needed to use a small wrench for them.

(Edit: See Z-bumber in the next message).

Maybe the cars are assembled by two guys one on each side. My boot lid was also too tight on the right hand side.

Last edited by tot; 08-08-2010 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #62
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

there are 3 solution(well 3 and a half):
1 gummi pfledge from bmw(the 1 and 1/2 is buy another siliocne spray, cheaper...)

2 German solution: print out the following picture and tell your dealer to do what german dealer did to "krizZz"(member of german forum zroadster.com....not polite to link another forum....but we are all z drivers...)

then "energy" from the same forum went to dealer and put felt under this part of the roof....look at this thread:

http://www.zroadster.com/forum/bmw_z...ml#post1365169

3 the italian solution, with quite good pictures.....:
http://www.bmwpassion.com/forum/show...=164174&page=5

I hope this helps, anyway I use a strong dose of silicone spray on a little cotton towel, then I apply it to the roof seals , whan partially opened(and it's better also when you have to clean up the rear glass of the hardtop) every time I wash the car.....just a precaution , but no rattles or whatever in 15 months.
Francesco

Last edited by siscobmw; 08-08-2010 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 02:43 AM   #63
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Just curious, those who don't hear any rattles from the roof, is that also the case when driving on really rough roads, or is it just under normal conditions? I've alway assumed it is impossible to have a 100% rattle-free roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscobmw View Post
I hope this helps, anyway I use a strong dose of silicone spray on a little cotton towel, then I apply it to the roof seals
The owner's manual states:

Quote:
Do not use silicon-containing care products on rubber seals; otherwise, noise and damage could occur.
It is a well-known fact that silicon-based lubes and rubber don't mix...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #64
siscobmw
Italy
Rep

I live close to alps and also my way from garage door to the gate is not plain like a table...roads are twisty and tarmac is italian tarmac, so it's bad.my roof should have rattle since the first meter out of the dealer.....

about the silicon spray...the well known facts that silicon and rubber are incompatible.....well....on my etk (version 06/2010)there's this product, from bmw car care products:
83 12 9 407 847
silicone pray for all purposes....cleans and protects door hinges, seatbelts springs,door seals,V and poliV belts,radiator hoses, could avoid static electricity ,remove noises of interior panels.... it's well known that door seals are not longer produced with rubber but they are made with extremely chemical components like ptfe and other exotic synthetic stuff .....
and it's well known, also that product gummipfledge (83 12 0 301 480)contains also a small quantity of silicone and that its purpose is for old cars......in fact I preferred to use gummipfledge on myold 635Csi or 3.3L, it helps in finland because it prevents icing of seals....

I protected always my seals with silicone spray....and BMW seems to do the same , and my 28 years old 635 has still it's original door seals.....
this is my wrong and opinable (but working)opinion, then tell me yours....
Francesco
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #65
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscobmw View Post
this is my wrong and opinable (but working)opinion, then tell me yours....
Don't shoot the messenger, I was just quoting the manual.

And my comment about rubbers and silicon-based lubes not mixing....well, when you have to explain a joke to somebody, it's no longer funny (if it ever was).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #66
siscobmw
Italy
Rep

sorry, please ,juhap....maybe my words are misunderstood...maybe in a table of a pub, with (almost) 2 beers (offered by me), you could have noticed I was not sarchastic as you thought.I took your word to explain not that you're wrong, but that bmw states something that is the real the opposite of what dealers learn to do in their service training schools....
sorry , really.not evil purposes.
anyway.....
I know you was simply quoting the user manual, but, please ....don't take that book as an holy book.....it tells us that additive on our fuel tank is not useful and with no skills about oil/fuel additives we can ruin the engine......
but bmw sells me since 90ies a fuel additive to put on my bmws on every inspection....also my friend had problem with his bmw and direct injection....a can of that additive solved every fuelling problem...but bmw said "no additives".....
bmw also told me that silicon spray for seals is good as the content of real rubber in them is really low.....
so.....now...
who's wrong is up to you....but my cars are always in top condition....and I saved 350 euro for each door of my ex 635,and more on my 3.3......

there's an old proverb in Italy..." do what I say , not what I do"....and <BMW seems to do this....and my previous post wanted to prove this....

sorry again, anyway!
uh, are all the links visible?today I tested the first link and I can't see the page....

Last edited by siscobmw; 08-09-2010 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0