New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #67
baege
Major
354
Rep
1,013
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2 COMP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Axeschully hehe, some Porsche GT cars do have turbos in them. Not all, but street and race application models do have them.
true...I should have said the vast majority of Porsche gt cars and the ones I most covet

but different strokes for different folks

some people love turbo cars

I was just pointing out na preference is not just about sound
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #68
Alfisti
Major
1076
Rep
1,288
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I was all for turbo cars, i guess until they were everywhere. And NA engines have come a long way. I am shopping sports car and absolutely 100% will not consider a turbo charged car. If the m4 had something like the GT350 engine, i'd own one right now.
Appreciate 3
Humdizzle874.00
Lucky1388.00

      01-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #69
Humdizzle
Captain
874
Rep
979
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

one thing i think being overlooked is that 981 caymans will also drop a bit. There are alot of 981 owners who refused to buy a 4 cylinder 718 and held onto their baby. Now they have a chance to get a new 6 cylinder car. People who tried for an allocation of a GT4 and Boxster spyder and didnt get it will also look at the GTS.

There is definitely going to be a fire sale on 718s though lol.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #70
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1741
Rep
2,537
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I was all for turbo cars, i guess until they were everywhere. And NA engines have come a long way. I am shopping sports car and absolutely 100% will not consider a turbo charged car. If the m4 had something like the GT350 engine, i'd own one right now.
The big lazy 6.2l in my Corvette has turbo like qualities with a broad torque band without the lag. But of course since everyone likes to complain, the issue with the 6.2 is the relatively low redline. Who cares when it makes 460hp and 465tq?
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog2384.00

      01-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #71
SoCal_NSX
Captain
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
1260
Rep
891
Posts

Drives: NSX/428/is250/Explorer
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Temecula, Ca

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
one thing i think being overlooked is that 981 caymans will also drop a bit. There are alot of 981 owners who refused to buy a 4 cylinder 718 and held onto their baby. Now they have a chance to get a new 6 cylinder car. People who tried for an allocation of a GT4 and Boxster spyder and didnt get it will also look at the GTS.

There is definitely going to be a fire sale on 718s though lol.
Actually it helps them imo....but I'm a biased 981 owner

The new base price of a of the 718 GTS is @ $90K ....you'll get to $100k real quick with Porsche option menu and likely well above that.

The hardest hit will obviously be the current 718 GTS

The 981 Cayman GTS can be had for $65k on up....those prices will hold steady or actually go up due to the 718 model being $40k more.

I know looks are subjective but imo the 981 GTS is much better looking ...the 718 GTS has a rather boring front end that doesn't really differentiate it from the base and S models like the 981 version did.
Appreciate 1
baege354.00

      01-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #72
baege
Major
354
Rep
1,013
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2 COMP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Actually it helps them imo....but I'm a biased 981 owner

The new base price of a of the 718 GTS is @ $90K ....you'll get to $100k real quick with Porsche option menu and likely well above that.

The hardest hit will obviously be the current 718 GTS

The 981 Cayman GTS can be had for $65k on up....those prices will hold steady or actually go up due to the 718 model being $40k more.

I know looks are subjective but imo the 981 GTS is much better looking ...the 718 GTS has a rather boring front end that doesn't really differentiate it from the base and S models like the 981 version did.
as a former 981S owner (twice), I tend to agree
the 981 has a cleaner overall look to me than the 718
If particulate filters come on the new GTS for the North american market (nobody seems to know if they will), then there is no question that the 981 GTS (or S for that matter) will sound better than the 718 GTS 4.0

I am also not sure if the new GTS will actually feel much faster than a 981 S or GTS...the 718 weighs 200lbs more than the 981 and so the additional torque of 30 ft/lbs of the 4.0 really only evens things out over the old 3.4

the 981 S or GTS is an amazing car and amazing value...I may just get one again one day
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #73
hellrotm
Major General
2979
Rep
6,374
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Actually it helps them imo....but I'm a biased 981 owner

The new base price of a of the 718 GTS is @ $90K ....you'll get to $100k real quick with Porsche option menu and likely well above that.

The hardest hit will obviously be the current 718 GTS

The 981 Cayman GTS can be had for $65k on up....those prices will hold steady or actually go up due to the 718 model being $40k more.

I know looks are subjective but imo the 981 GTS is much better looking ...the 718 GTS has a rather boring front end that doesn't really differentiate it from the base and S models like the 981 version did.
Where did you see the base GTS 4.0L msrp? I have seen other markets pricing but not US.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #74
hellrotm
Major General
2979
Rep
6,374
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
as a former 981S owner (twice), I tend to agree
the 981 has a cleaner overall look to me than the 718
If particulate filters come on the new GTS for the North american market (nobody seems to know if they will), then there is no question that the 981 GTS (or S for that matter) will sound better than the 718 GTS 4.0

I am also not sure if the new GTS will actually feel much faster than a 981 S or GTS...the 718 weighs 200lbs more than the 981 and so the additional torque of 30 ft/lbs of the 4.0 really only evens things out over the old 3.4

the 981 S or GTS is an amazing car and amazing value...I may just get one again one day
Particulate filters are not coming to the US. Just like the 718 GT4 won’t have them. They are only mandated in EU and Porsche has yet to put them on any car in US.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #75
baege
Major
354
Rep
1,013
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2 COMP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Particulate filters are not coming to the US. Just like the 718 GT4 won’t have them. They are only mandated in EU and Porsche has yet to put them on any car in US.
I hope you are right, but we won't know for sure until they arrive in north america.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:39 AM   #76
SoCal_NSX
Captain
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
1260
Rep
891
Posts

Drives: NSX/428/is250/Explorer
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Temecula, Ca

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Where did you see the base GTS 4.0L msrp? I have seen other markets pricing but not US.
These are just a few estimates I've read on different sites based on the base price of the 718 GT4.... typically the GTS is about $10-12k lower then the GT4.
The outgoing 2019 four cylinder was $83k base

I'm guessing it will be about $87-90k base price on the new 4.0
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #77
joshuastein55
Lieutenant Colonel
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
2293
Rep
1,738
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Embargo has been lifted, reviewers seem to be much happier with the return of the flat-6 as expected.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...man-gts-drive/

__________________
Current Vehicles - 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 | 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired Vehicles - 1995 325i 5MT | 2004 330i 6MT | 2011 335xi | 2017 540i | 2017 Boxster S 6MT

Last edited by joshuastein55; 02-16-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog2384.00
paliknight1325.00

      02-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #78
KevinGS
Captain
645
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
a preference for natural aspiration is not just about sound

it's also about the immediacy of the experience...feeling connected to all the controls of the car including the throttle

turbos take away from connection...they create a barrier between the driver's input and the car's response...a lag

Porsche GT cars are aimed at maximizing the connection between the driver and the car

this is why GT cars have NA engines and why I for one will always prefer NA engines
100% agree, and this connection is special, especially in Porsches. Immensely prefer the Porsche GT3 (rode in one) over the 911 Turbo (driven a few), and we all know how fast the Turbos are.

The Turbo is a great Daily in its own right, but the slower GT3 is just beyond thrilling. The sound, the vibrations, the drivetrain, it just adds to the thrill of the experience.....and it's not measurable in stats, but in smiles.

Thus, so happy to see the flat-6 back in the GTS.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI209.00

      02-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #79
Alfisti
Major
1076
Rep
1,288
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I would legit take a N/A 911 GTS over a 911 Turbo S.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI209.00

      02-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #80
baege
Major
354
Rep
1,013
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2 COMP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I would legit take a N/A 911 GTS over a 911 Turbo S.
100%
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST