New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
lemmon
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 2013

CIC Nav Screen Only Video In

Hi all

I have seen spare CIC Navigation screen on Internet.

My Z4 does not have navigation system(I have the professional business radio) and I was wondering if there is any way to play stand alone video in a CIC screen instead of installing the whole set.

I just want to have a "video in" channel.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
The usual BMW specific video input modules work via plugging the CIC monitor into the new video module output.

The new module has video inputs such as hdmi, rca, etc and also an input from the original connection from the car that went to the CIC screen.

So... I would bet that what you are asking is doable.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

You could swap out the radio for a single DIN unit with a screen. See here. That unit can play video and has inputs for dash cams or whatever you want the video screen for.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
lemmon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto View Post
You could swap out the radio for a single DIN unit with a screen. See here. That unit can play video and has inputs for dash cams or whatever you want the video screen for.
It looks fantastic!!!! i think I will definitely take a look in more details to see if i can doit by myself.

Would you mind taking a picture from the side? I would like to see the space between the back of the screen and the dashboard as well as the angle of the screen. Lastly a picture without the screen would be perfect.

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry to ask you to take additional pictures but i would like to make sure about the retrofit

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
lemmon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
It looks fantastic!!!! i think I will definitely take a look in more details to see if i can doit by myself.

Would you mind taking a picture from the side? I would like to see the space between the back of the screen and the dashboard as well as the angle of the screen. Lastly a picture without the screen would be perfect.

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry to ask you to take additional pictures but i would like to make sure about the retrofit

Thanks
I have done some additional research. If i want to keep the original radio and taking in to consideration that the JOYING screen connects to the main unit through a flat computer style cable, I think I would be able to:

1.) install the main JOYING unit in the glove compartment
2.) Connect the main JOYING unit to the "aux In" available in the car
3.) get an extension cable from the glove compartment( where the main JOYING unit is installed) to the compartment where the original BMW nav screen is installed
4.) Open the door compartment ( where the original BMW screen is installed) and rest the screen using the open door as the back support. ( the size of JOYING screen is almost the same size that the Original nav door compartment.
5.) Fix the JOYING screen with a velcro-type tightening system.....

What do you think? It would be great if you can take a picture of the JOYING screen resting on the Nav compartment door to see how it looks like

Thanks in advance

Last edited by lemmon; 10-09-2018 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
Dusty78
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 28i

The joying isn't just a screen...it's a full single din unit. I don't think the screen detaches while still working.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 11:43 PM   #7
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I think your theory should work. The Joying is a full feature auto head unit (with a tuner, amp, etc.), but it is also a full featured android tablet with a screen that happens to be perfectly sized. As you suggest, you could connect the audio out on the Joying to the AUX in of the stock radio. The screen is detachable and is connected via a cable.

So, if you had a long enough cable, you could place the box in the glove compartment and the screen in the dash compartment. However, I think you might have enough room in the dash where the iDrive normally goes. So, you could save the glove compartment.

Whenever you wanted audio for the joying, you would just switch the radio to AUX. The screen is pretty thin and will fit in the dash compartment. I cannot detach it to show you, but I am pretty sure it will fit nicely. I have it mounted flush against the dash (given the rolled feature above the radio slot). Here is a photo from the side, if that helps.

Last edited by tommylotto; 10-10-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
lemmon
Rep

Quote:
I think your theory should work. The Joying is a full feature auto head unit (with a tuner, amp, etc.), but it is also a full featured android tablet with a screen that happens to be perfectly sized. As you suggest, you could connect the audio out on the Joying to the AUX in of the stock radio. The screen is detachable and is connected via a cable.

So, if you had a long enough cable, you could place the box in the glove compartment and the screen in the dash compartment. However, I think you might have enough room in the dash where the iDrive normally goes. So, you could save the glove compartment.

Whenever you wanted audio for the joying, you would just switch the radio to AUX. The screen is pretty thin and will fit in the dash compartment. I cannot detach it to show you, but I am pretty sure it will fit nicely. I have it mounted flush against the dash (given the rolled feature above the radio slot). Here is a photo from the side, if that helps.

Exactly you got my point.... I have purchased the unit and the extra 1m cable..... Keep you updated with my findings, issues, etc

thanks for the pics.... Would you think the 11x4.7 inch screen will look nice in the dashboard resting in the compartment door? Your opinion is really welcome

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #9
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Before I bought the 8.8" unit, I made cardboard cut-outs of the exact dimensions of both the 8.8" unit and the 10.25" unit. The 10.25" unit was too big. When placed centered in the radio bay, the screen would touch the cupholder. The mounting system would allow you to shift it towards the driver's side. So, you could get it to fit, but then it would look off-center. Also, the 8.8" and 10.25" units are the exact same resolution. So, you are not really getting any more desktop space -- just more visible pixel sizes. Also, the 10.25" unit would not fit in the dash compartment like you are contemplating. It is just too big.

Let me know how your install goes. Your solution might be superior to mine. I wanted a back-up camera and CarPlay, which I now have, but I'm not too fond of the Joying radio app. It's no big deal, because I use the iHeart Radio app and the SirriusXM app in CarPlay for radio. However, keeping the stock radio and running the Joying through the AUX is a pretty good idea that I never thought of.

Though, the position in the radio bay might still be better for using the touch screen. It's right there next to your hand on the gear shift. So, it is handy. Whereas putting the screen in the dash compartment might involve a reach.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #10
lemmon
Rep

Hello There

after many many research here after you will find what I believe to be the closest to the original CIC navigation so far.

Still testing because there is no Bluetooth output or aux out ( Just FM transmitter that it is really bad). I am looking to get USB audio out but I did not success yet.

The device has buetooth but it is configure to pair telephones and make hands free calls. It does not have any working Bluetooth profile like a2dp.

I did not find yet a working backup camera.

But I want to share what I have got so far and see if you like it.

Here the link for the device....any help to find a working camera and /or working aux out will be welcome.

This is the link to the device on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filido-7-84inch-HD-LCD-Motion-Dash-Cam-1080p-Car-Dashboard-Camera-with-3G-WIFI/283145826618?epid=5023467546&hash=item41ecce713a:r k:1f:0
Attached Images

Last edited by lemmon; 10-29-2018 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It is no CarPlay, but the form factor is perfect for that spot. I guess you will waste the dash cam feature, but it seems to have plenty of other features that would be very useful. How is the navigation application? For the rear camera, I note the specs say "1 AV-IN port for Automatic reversing camera." That should allow you to connect any camera if you can run a wire from the rear camera to the unit, but it looks like you will need an adaptor from RCA to whatever input is on the back of this thing. Also, how does it know when you are in reverse and it needs to switch input to the reverse camera?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
lemmon
Rep

Quote:
It is no CarPlay, but the form factor is perfect for that spot. I guess you will waste the dash cam feature, but it seems to have plenty of other features that would be very useful. How is the navigation application? For the rear camera, I note the specs say "1 AV-IN port for Automatic reversing camera." That should allow you to connect any camera if you can run a wire from the rear camera to the unit, but it looks like you will need an adaptor from RCA to whatever input is on the back of this thing. Also, how does it know when you are in reverse and it needs to switch input to the reverse camera?
1.)Form factor is really good, the best I have found so far
2.)Regarding the dash cam, I have opened the unit and it has a flat cable long enough to place the camera close to the center speaker
3.) The unit is plenty of features..... Play store is fully functional
4.) For the rear camera, I think my unit is broken. I have ordered a new unit that I will receive tomorrow. In theory ( you can check the specs) the unit support reverse camera automatic switching but i will let you know once i receive the new unit.
5.) For navigation I use google maps and waze. You can also download off line software like sygic... The unit manage these app very well.

I did not solve the Bluetooth issue, but with spotify I am able to manage the music coming out from my phone ( connect to Bluetooth) from the unit. Not perfect but quite good.

The speaker in the unit is good and loud enough to manage navigation sounds without any issue.

Lastly, 2 more pictures with the BMW interface available in google play
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

So when not in use it folds flat and the storage bin clears the unit?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #14
tommylotto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So, that thing runs on Android and has access to all the applications on the Google Play store? That's cool. I see you have the AGAMA car launcher app working. Very nice. I prefer the CarWebGuru car launcher app, but both are very professional looking. You could probably get an OBD2 adaptor and run Torque Pro too. There are even some USB dongles that could give you CarPlay. Shame it doesn't have a simple AUX out though. So, the only way to get audio through the car speakers so far is the FM transmitter?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #15
lemmon
Rep

New Navigation/ Multimedia system

Hello there

Despite my previous setup was nice, I think this is one is even better .......

You might like it or not.... but it is great to have such a screen.

Total Cost: $110 including reverse camera

Cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by lemmon; 06-03-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #16
tintoverano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: z4 E89 sDrive 23i

I used the OEM screen

How To in the video description
Appreciate 0