New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435is

Can I Mix Run-flat Tires with Standard Ones?

1) I have one rear tire that is toast and thinking of replacing the two rear with standard ones. What I have read this is mostly not a good idea. Any thoughts from people who have done it?

2) What is the latest thoughts on the best standard tire to go with. I have done a search and just got more confused. I would prefer a bit better drive over superior performance and handling. Would like it to look good too.

Thanks
      07-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

I think runflats and non runflats have driving characteristic differences even when they are the same model. I personally wouldnt mix them. Maybe if you cant get the whole set right away get the ones you need and change the fronts a bit later? i think yes you can mix and match tires on some economy car but on cars like these it can be disastrous.

I personally have had mixed tires once when i was younger and on a tight budget and on normal driving it did not really show but when i went on a track with some friends i seriously noticed how different front and rear behaved and when when switching rears to front in the pits how much understeer the front had compared to the ones before. and how slidey the rear was at first and after change it wasnt. Had different model tires with very similar tread pattern but still it was so noticeable that i changed them rather quickly after that to a proper setup. Car was a 2004 Type-R.

Ditching runflats is a good idea in general and makes the ride a lot better. With runflats in front you would have a harsher ride there while nonrunflats in the back would be more comfortable. it just a wierd combination IMO.

You dont have to push your car to the limits all the time to enjoy a high performance tire. There are benefits on regular driving aswell.

I personally suggest Michelin supersports or 4S tires. I thought at first that its just a tire... how much better can it be from continental or bridgestone etc? Because people religiously recommended them i gave them a try. When fitted was very pleasantly suprised how good they were. Not cheap though.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks, I have since decided to go with 4 new Michelin supersports or 4S tires.
      07-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
BuddhaPilot
Swollen Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
I'm about to do the same on our 2009 Z4. If you have access to Costco, you can get PS4's including mounting an balancing for $832. Ours is a non-sport package car with same size wheels, so price will of course vary for staggered wheels.

Finally delivered!!...2012 135i/AW over Coral Red/MSport/Nav/HK/Toasty Seats/6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
Actually most tire shops will not mount mixed tire sets. Run flat/ non run flat. Even on a different axle.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

What air pressure should I be running on the Michelin 4S tires? Same as run flats?