New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #89
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Iowa, the price you see is the price you pay. Tax is included in the price. It's awesome.

But it's still Iowa. Visit but no desire to live there.
Appreciate 1
nazali1298.00
      08-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #90
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
My mom was a waitress and sometimes when the restaurant was short handed, she would deputize me to help make sure tables were bussed to keep customers flowing and also make sure their drinks were full. This was the 80s and she made something like $1.25 an hour. We needed those tips to eat because restaurants aren’t mandated to pay minimum wage. On a Saturday or Sunday she could bring home $150, but the rest of the week she was lucky to clear half that each day. For a short time we lived in a hotel because she didn’t have the money to pay a deposit and first month rent up front. She did her best as a single parent. Since COVId, I have been tipping 50% whenever I go out if I get at least decent service. I tip 25% for mediocre service. I wasn’t quite as generous before COVID, but it’s not lost on me that most wait staff are living day to day pay check to pay check. It’s easy to forget how hard people have it when you’re rolling in a luxury car and nice neighborhood.
Appreciate 2
3.0L8923.00
      08-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #91
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
As an aussie in north america I can say, without any doubt, Tipping is right up there as the absolute stupidest cultural habit I have ever seen. It sheer and utter lunacy.

I will never, ever agree with it, just pay a proper rate of pay. Absolutely loathe everything about it, it's completely crazy, you are all off your god damn rockers on this issue.

Same goes for hidden taxes, JUST LIST THE FUCKING PRICE FFS.
My sentiments exactly.

And to see there's people here tipping 50%+ on meals? Jesus Christ man…. you there to eat or donate?

It's so ridiculous that some places when you order at the register for take out, ask on the screen if you'd like to tip. Wtf am I supposed to be tipping for, talking to you or you putting my food in a bag??
Appreciate 2
nazali1298.00
      08-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #92
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
My sentiments exactly.

And to see there's people here tipping 50%+ on meals? Jesus Christ man…. you there to eat or donate?

It's so ridiculous that some places when you order at the register for take out, ask on the screen if you'd like to tip. Wtf am I supposed to be tipping for, talking to you or you putting my food in a bag??

You do you, I’ll do me. My money, I’ll spend it how I want. I don’t see anything wrong with being kind to people. Karma is a bitch.
Appreciate 2
iminhell13914.50
MurrayB97.50
      08-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #93
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
You do you, I’ll do me. My money, I’ll spend it how I want. I don’t see anything wrong with being kind to people. Karma is a bitch.
So to clarify, <50% tipping sicks the bitch side of karma on you due to it being unkind in nature?
Appreciate 1
premier3is1628.00
      08-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #94
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
My sentiments exactly.

How does this relate to karma? Because I didn't reward someone for doing their job? Interesting concept there…

You do you, I'll do me. I could make millions a year and wouldn't tip 50%. That's just looney
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #95
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

I overtip, then ask the server if what I tipped is acceptable.
On occasion I've overheard servers chatting amongst themselves associating me with a stereotype while I'm in the midst of dinning. They are shocked when I hand deliver the tip in mid-meal right in the middle of their conversation. A few times they apologetically offer a complementary dessert of choice. I accept.. and tip them for that as well just for that extra sting.

Let's just say….
I always give great tips if the service is decent.
I can swim like a fish..
I have a valid I.D. to show at the polls…
English grammar is impeccable LOL

You know.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #96
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
So to clarify, <50% tipping sicks the bitch side of karma on you due to it being unkind in nature?
I’m just saying you don’t know what these people are going through. And I didn’t say I was tipping at a drive through window.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #97
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGoGoMoto View Post
I overtip, then ask the server if what I tipped is acceptable.
On occasion I've overheard servers chatting amongst themselves associating me with a stereotype while I'm in the midst of dinning. They are shocked when I hand deliver the tip in mid-meal right in the middle of their conversation. A few times they apologetically offer a complementary dessert of choice. I accept.. and tip them for that as well just for that extra sting.

Let's just say….
I always give great tips if the service is decent.
I can swim like a fish..
I have a valid I.D. to show at the polls…
English grammar is impeccable LOL

You know.
Soooo - you're Asian?

Cause stereotypically, they're one of the worst tippers. And there is a reason stereotypes exist and I usually find them quite helpful. They aren't a law of course, but helpful nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #98
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

seriously if somone does an outstading, job I have no problem, or like around the holidays, but God, a tip is that a tip, not for paying your wages, your employer does that and if he doesnt, it needs to be looked into

Quote:
Appreciate 1
premier3is1628.00
      08-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #99
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Hi I'm Sandy
So was I
EH ?
Last Week on a beach in Florida

-------------------------------------------

Hey Watch how your talk to our sister !
why. is she a good kisser

-------------------------------------------

He called me a whore.

Is that true?

Well, nobody said whore. She inferred hooker, but I meant slut.

--------------------------------------------

sorry my first drink of the evening and I'm watching a classic !
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #100
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The problem is that most wait staff are not even paid minimum wage. The tips end up being their salary. It’s a screwed up situation and I’m not sure how it became legal. I can understand the anti tip sentiment if they were being paid $10-20 an hour by their employer, but they aren’t. It’s clear by most of the comments, many people never had to scrape by which is why you don’t get it.
Appreciate 2
MsGoGoMoto1218.00
      08-05-2021, 09:04 PM   #101
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Tipping is annoying for sure but it's obviously customary and expected. All the chat has been around restaurants but what about a valet, bellman, barber, etc. Such a bizarre custom we have here.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #102
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

yeah the actual main question I raised, was not realy about tipping

but about the AUTO-TIP feature on in-room service bills
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 06:21 AM   #103
MsGoGoMoto
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3+REX, 1999 K1200RS Moto

Quote:
The problem is that most wait staff are not even paid minimum wage. The tips end up being their salary. It's a screwed up situation and I'm not sure how it became legal. I can understand the anti tip sentiment if they were being paid $10-20 an hour by their employer, but they aren't. It's clear by most of the comments, many people never had to scrape by which is why you don't get it.
Damn… no wonder there is a shortage of wait staff at places…
Appreciate 0