New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-28-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

C8 Z06......Wow

Chevy blew it out of the water with c8 Z06. 670 hp high revving NA motor in that chassis with dual clutch, just wow. I'm so surprised that in today's turbo era, it's a NA motor. The interior looks stepped up too.

Its a future classic right of the bat, especially with hybrid and electric being around the corner
par__m3451.00
DrFerry6722.50
      10-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Grand slam for GM. It was their last chance of doing something like this. Doing a turbo setup would've been to predictable and too easy. They gave us what everyone wanted for a long time. A high revving engine that sings the same tune as a ferrari.

There's already talks of a 100k markup and people are still willing to buy it lol.

Imagine buying one for like 110k, using it for a year and selling it for 200k lol. What a great time to be a car guy.
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #3
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

They will be selling like hot cakes especially around $110-120 MSRP that I think it's going to end up with upgrades
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      10-28-2021, 09:40 PM   #4
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Amazing engine and platform. The front has even grown on me. The profile looks pretty decent too. But the rear? Meh. It just looks too funky for me. Maybe the Z06 will look better in person since it's much wider. I need the aftermarket to find a way to alter the appearance of the rear for me.

And I've been a passenger in the C8, and for the passenger, I didn't like the high wall of climate control buttons separating the two compartments. This car definitely won't be for couples...unless they're fighting.

Nevertheless, for $100k to $120K, this is the performance bargain of our times...it literally sounds like an old Ferrari V8. That's high praise indeed. GM should be proud.

Last edited by KevinGS; 10-29-2021 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 5
par__m3451.00
Salespunk1741.00
Mavus2014.50
nicholasn261.00
      10-28-2021, 10:13 PM   #5
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Amazing engine and platform. The front has even grown on me. The profile looks pretty decent too. But the rear? Meh. It just looks too funky for me. Maybe the Z06 will look better in person since it's much wider. I need the aftermarket to find a way to alter the appearance of the rear for me.

And I've been a passenger in the C8, and for the passenger, I didn't like the high wall of climate control buttons separating the two compartments. This car definitely won't be for couples...unless they're fighting.

Nevertheless, for $100k to $120K, this is the performance bargain of our times...it literally sounds like a Ferrari V8. That's high praise indeed. GM should be proud.
I think it probably better than Ferrari now since the Ferrari's went turbo and don't actually sound that great.
Appreciate 9
Limegrntaln13014.00
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
par__m3451.00
KevinGS3275.00
Salespunk1741.00
Law6377.00
nicholasn261.00
      10-29-2021, 01:10 AM   #6
sleepy75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

I live at high altitude. Its lack of turbos is precisely why I wouldn't consider this one. Losing way too much HP up here.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:56 AM   #7
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

sure it would be awesome on the race track but without turbo it will be hard to get the power out by revving it that high on the street or even from bend to bend on a canyon road... apart from muffled sound and lower rev's turbo is better for performance. one reason the car is cheaper than competition (at least MSRP wise) is the engine isn't really all that high tech, brute force displacement..... for pure sound and rev's I'd pick an R8 V10.

I am interested to see how it does on the track, I have a feeling it is still slower than a less powered Porsche...it's still GM.... regardless of performance it will be a classic and a good long term investment if one can keep it pristine.
Limegrntaln13014.00
      10-29-2021, 04:30 AM   #8
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
I think it probably better than Ferrari now since the Ferrari's went turbo and don't actually sound that great.
The twin turbo version of the engine will be coming with the next variant, the ZR1 or the ZORA if those are 2 separate variants. It'll be a monster at 800+ from a factory car lol. Insane.

I can't wait to get my hands on the z06. I knew i would never get a chance to own a ferrari in my life and GM is giving a chance to everyone to experience that for less money!!

This is why i rocked with team corvette for like 20 years now lol
Appreciate 3
      10-29-2021, 05:12 AM   #9
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
The twin turbo version of the engine will be coming with the next variant, the ZR1 or the ZORA if those are 2 separate variants. It'll be a monster at 800+ from a factory car lol. Insane.

I can't wait to get my hands on the z06. I knew i would never get a chance to own a ferrari in my life and GM is giving a chance to everyone to experience that for less money!!

This is why i rocked with team corvette for like 20 years now lol
I'm curious to see what the other version(s) offer. I don't see the flat plane crank, being available on the forced induction models. I think the motor is a finely tuned balance between precision and power. I don't think it could ever be strong enough, for you to just slap a set of snails on it, and have it stay together. Turbo motors are generally lower compression, and the bore and stroke is setup to maximize the turbo setup. The FPC motor is also said to have titanium conrods.

Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      10-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #10
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Beautiful car but impossible to get. The few people that do you get them will sell them to the fools that will pay higher than retail.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #11
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

monster in the making
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #12
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

Nevertheless, for $100k to $120K, this is the performance bargain of our times...it literally sounds like a Ferrari V8. That's high praise indeed. GM should be proud.
Ummmmmm, what? There was a 488 at a cars and coffee I saw a month ago. Thing sounded like a F-1 car on steroids. They still sound like perfection to me
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #13
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Whether you are a Corvette fan or not, GM has to be applauded for building this car. People don't realize the level of engineering inside of GM and they as a company do a horrible job of educating people on it. As an example try looking up the differences between a Yukon SLT/Denali/Cadillac Escalade. The differences are significant, but on paper they look nearly identical.

Not many new cars excite me today, but the Z06 is one of them. I am considering throwing my name on a few waitlists to see if I can actually get one before the end of production.
Appreciate 5
      10-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #14
schumacher86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xDrive

Just joined the waiting list with a deposit - #7 on the dealer's!

Last edited by schumacher86; 10-29-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 6
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
WolfGTI688.50
DrFerry6722.50
Llarry14483.50
      10-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #15
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I'm curious to see what the other version(s) offer. I don't see the flat plane crank, being available on the forced induction models. I think the motor is a finely tuned balance between precision and power. I don't think it could ever be strong enough, for you to just slap a set of snails on it, and have it stay together. Turbo motors are generally lower compression, and the bore and stroke is setup to maximize the turbo setup. The FPC motor is also said to have titanium conrods.
Correct. GM has already been throwing out rumors of a cross plane crank 4.4L twin turbo. It'll be a monster with 800+. Then the final variant will be that same setup, plus all wheel drive and a small hybrid system. The same system (rumored) that will in the upcoming ERAY.

Everyone will finally see what GM can really do if they're operating with the proper architecture. I love me some front engine corvettes but this mid engine platform takes corvette to a whole new level. It just saddens me they did it towards the end of the the ICE era.

Or maybe they planned it all along as giving everyone the final corvette and go out with a bang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumacher86 View Post
Just joined the waiting list with a deposit - #7 on the dealer's!

Nice!!!! How many allocations does that dealer get on z06's do you know?

I think you probably beat most people who just got on and are only the 3rd or even the 4th MY z06 lol. Sucks for them.

You could have dodged a bullet and jumped the whole waiting process and could get a 1st MY too. Like me!!!
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      10-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #16
schumacher86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Correct. GM has already been throwing out rumors of a cross plane crank 4.4L twin turbo. It'll be a monster with 800+. Then the final variant will be that same setup, plus all wheel drive and a small hybrid system. The same system (rumored) that will in the upcoming ERAY.

Everyone will finally see what GM can really do if they're operating with the proper architecture. I love me some front engine corvettes but this mid engine platform takes corvette to a whole new level. It just saddens me they did it towards the end of the the ICE era.

Or maybe they planned it all along as giving everyone the final corvette and go out with a bang!

Nice!!!! How many allocations does that dealer get on z06's do you know?

I think you probably beat most people who just got on and are only the 3rd or even the 4th MY z06 lol. Sucks for them.

You could have dodged a bullet and jumped the whole waiting process and could get a 1st MY too. Like me!!!
I had to have this thing after the reveal - was late to the normal C8 party but I guess it kind of worked out. Now I can enjoy the M3 for a year or so and either trade it in or keep both!

They are one of the largest volume dealers in the North-central region, so I'm sure they will get at least 20.
Limegrntaln13014.00
      10-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #17
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumacher86 View Post
I had to have this thing after the reveal - was late to the normal C8 party but I guess it kind of worked out. Now I can enjoy the M3 for a year or so and either trade it in or keep both!

They are one of the largest volume dealers in the North-central region, so I'm sure they will get at least 20.
Sweet!

I was late to the C8 stingray party too so it's kind of good i wasn't able to get it fast cause i went to get the M3 instead.

I'm debating myself if i wanna keep or sell the C7Z. Kinda cool thinking about having both the C7Z and C8Z. And an M3 lol.

We live in good times!
Appreciate 3
      10-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #18
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I was on the C8 bandwagon for quite a while. I watched the launch event, I drove 200 miles to go sit in the Corvette Road Show, Corvette. I just kind of fell out of love with it. I wasnt really a fan of the wheel options.

You really needed to spend another $20K to get the nice interior, even though, I spent $103K on the M4, I feel like Im getting my moneys worth in performance, styling and luxury.

I wasnt impressed with the interior sizing. I would have thought theyd at least try to make it as big, inside as the C5 and C6. But it just keeps shrinking, inside. I'm too tall to fit in one, comfortably. And I just didnt think there was enough performance gain, out of the motor, in the Stingray version. Its a 1 trick pony with the 2.8 0-60.

The Z06, appears to be a different ballgame, but, overall, Im still too tall to fit in one.

Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      10-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #19
mistermarc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
I was on the C8 bandwagon for quite a while. I watched the launch event, I drove 200 miles to go sit in the Corvette Road Show, Corvette. I just kind of fell out of love with it. I wasnt really a fan of the wheel options.

You really needed to spend another $20K to get the nice interior, even though, I spent $103K on the M4, I feel like Im getting my moneys worth in performance, styling and luxury.

I wasnt impressed with the interior sizing. I would have thought theyd at least try to make it as big, inside as the C5 and C6. But it just keeps shrinking, inside. I'm too tall to fit in one, comfortably. And I just didnt think there was enough performance gain, out of the motor, in the Stingray version. Its a 1 trick pony with the 2.8 0-60.

The Z06, appears to be a different ballgame, but, overall, Im still too tall to fit in one.
How tall are you ?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      10-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #20
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The C7 interior was a HUGE upgrade to the C6. The C8 interior takes it to a new level. Almost german like. Very nice quality. My friend has a C8. Incredible value. So much car even if it's just a base stingray.

You might be right about shrinking on the inside lol. I'm only 5'10 but i did notice after getting rid of my C6 that the C7 is just a bit tighter. The C8 feels like you're in a fighter jet. Everything surrounds you making it all about you as the driver. It's incredible watching and experiencing the corvette evolve to what it is today.

This z06 is on another level, despite a lot of members (currently c7z owners) complaining about the car being naturally aspirated. On the forum all they ever talk about is, "will the C8Z be faster in 60-130 vs the c7z?"

And i'm like wtf? First off corvettes aren't supposed to be 60-130 cars. It just so happens it does that well and yes the C8Z will post a faster time, given the gearing and with a lower aero package. High wing models will be slightly slower on the top end.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #21
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermarc View Post
How tall are you ?
6'3 But everyone is different. Some people have a longer torso than they have legs. I have long legs, and in the C7, when you hit the brakes, my kneecaps touch the underside dash. In the C8, you get another inch of legroom, but its just not enough.

Quote:
The C7 interior was a HUGE upgrade to the C6. The C8 interior takes it to a new level. Almost german like. Very nice quality. My friend has a C8. Incredible value. So much car even if it's just a base stingray.

You might be right about shrinking on the inside lol. I'm only 5'10 but i did notice after getting rid of my C6 that the C7 is just a bit tighter. The C8 feels like you're in a fighter jet. Everything surrounds you making it all about you as the driver. It's incredible watching and experiencing the corvette evolve to what it is today.

This z06 is on another level, despite a lot of members (currently c7z owners) complaining about the car being naturally aspirated. On the forum all they ever talk about is, "will the C8Z be faster in 60-130 vs the c7z?"

And i'm like wtf? First off corvettes aren't supposed to be 60-130 cars. It just so happens it does that well and yes the C8Z will post a faster time, given the gearing and with a lower aero package. High wing models will be slightly slower on the top end.
True, if you want just straightline speed, this isnt the car for you. This car is the GT3RS of track cars. High revving N/A, and 170hp more than the 3RS. Im curious to see what kind of Ring time they were able to get with it. I would think it would be on par with the ZR1 or better.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #22
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
6'3 But everyone is different. Some people have a longer torso than they have legs. I have long legs, and in the C7, when you hit the brakes, my kneecaps touch the underside dash. In the C8, you get another inch of legroom, but its just not enough.

True, if you want just straightline speed, this isnt the car for you. This car is the GT3RS of track cars. High revving N/A, and 170hp more than the 3RS. Im curious to see what kind of Ring time they were able to get with it. I would think it would be on par with the ZR1 or better.

People have high hopes saying it could be 6:4x and i'm saying definitely not lol.

Maybe if the car weighed 3100-3200lbs with the same exact powertrain i think so.

I do believe it'll break 7 minute though. I'm guessing 6:57-6:58 which is insanely fast given the C7 ZR1 and it's monster powerplant doing 7:04?

The car will run 10.3-10.5 @ 133 stock though.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00