New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-16-2022, 07:20 AM   #1
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Car enthusiasts are dwindling by the year. It is time to celebrate those who are still left!

Which one are you?
Feel free to ADD your own!

(Just a bit of fun here, no offense lol)

1. They read higher HP numbers and faster 0-60 numbers and they are impressed. Faster lap times in some random track they have never driven or even know about; even more impressed. They think how a car "feels" is far too abstract for their data-driven mindset. Deep in their hearts they know that their McDonald's drive thru lap times will be unaffected.

2. Those who feel performance cars died a while ago when manual gearboxes and 'real' steering racks went away; who find the newer tech cars intriguing sometimes but overall inferior and uninteresting no matter how fast or powerful they are. Statistics mean very little. They will however argue that "when driven well, a slow car is faster than a fast car" which is a puzzling argument for the most part. They anxiously await news of a manual gearbox car with hydraulic steering that weighs 2000 pounds for $35k but that car will never EVER arrive no matter how much they try to convince you (ME, in this category)

3. The type who berate the latest and greatest because they bought the latest and greatest last time and because they are addicted to getting the latest and greatest you will watch them go quiet for a little while after harsh criticism and then come back with a thread saying "Introducing my new XYZ!". Rinse and repeat every 3-5 years.

4. The enthusiast who rolls in a heavily modified 20 year old car which he compares to every new car introduction and proclaims their jalopy is better than all the new stuff! At least they are happy!—-or are they? These peeps tend to go to gatherings dedicated to these older car models and usually a few of them break—much to their entertainment. Then they crack jokes about those breakdowns until the next year's gathering arrives (I have been in this mode before lol)

5. The reserve enthusiast. Drives a 2013 Honda Accord as his daily driver and has a 991 GT3 in the garage. They say they take it out once In a while when the weather is good, which it never is. The last time they took it out their spouse said it was too uncomfortable and the children had no rear seat to sit in. They took it for grocery shopping once and it got dinged by a shopping cart by a lady who just said "oh sorry about that". Their handle on some enthusiast forum is "GT3driver" though, so it all worked out in the end!
5.M0NSTER3353.50
nicholasn261.00
Dinosoar289.00
      02-16-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Car enthusiasts are dwindling by the year. It is time to celebrate those who are still left!

Which one are you?

1. They read higher HP numbers and faster 0-60 numbers and they are impressed. Faster lap times in some random track they have never driven or even know about; even more impressed. They think how a car "feels" is far too abstract for their data-driven mindset. Deep in their hearts they know that their McDonald's drive thru lap times will be unaffected.

2. Those who feel performance cars died a while ago when manual gearboxes and 'real' steering racks went away; who find the newer tech cars intriguing sometimes but overall inferior and uninteresting no matter how fast or powerful they are. Statistics mean very little. They will however argue that "when driven well, a slow car is faster than a fast car" which is a puzzling argument for the most part. They anxiously await news of a manual gearbox car with hydraulic steering that weighs 2000 pounds for $35k but that car will never EVER arrive no matter how much they try to convince you (ME, in this category)

3. The type who berate the latest and greatest because they bought the latest and greatest last time and because they are addicted to getting the latest and greatest you will watch them go quiet for a little while after harsh criticism and then come back with a thread saying "Introducing my new XYZ!". Rinse and repeat every 3-5 years.

4. The enthusiast who rolls in a heavily modified 20 year old car which he compares to every new car introduction and proclaims their jalopy is better than all the new stuff! At least they are happy!—-or are they? These peeps tend to go to gatherings dedicated to these older car models and usually a few of them break—much to their entertainment. Then they crack jokes about those breakdowns until the next year's gathering arrives (I have been in this mode before lol)

5. The reserve enthusiast. Drives a 2013 Honda Accord as his daily driver and has a 991 GT3 in the garage. They say they take it out once In a while when the weather is good, which it never is. The last time they took it out their spouse said it was too uncomfortable and the children had no rear seat to sit in. They took it for grocery shopping once and it got dinged by a shopping cart by a lady who just said "oh sorry about that". Their handle on some enthusiast forum is "GT3driver" though, so it all worked out in the end!
I feel I'm closest to type 2, but type 5 applies.
Skills bridge the gap between a fast driver in a slow car, and a slow driver in a fast car, especially true in smaller tracks and autocross where power becomes less relevant.

I find 2 is typically current or past Miata drivers (I had 2)
I find 5 is typically a dad to kids/teenagers that still live at home, the wife thinks the Z4M is too low and too loud, my kid loves it though

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #3
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I don't normally like to be pigeonholed, but I'm closest to 2. Cars after ~2015 evoke zero emotion from me. There are exceptions, all of which are over 100k and I can't get myself to splurge on. I used to be a "numbers" guy, but that changed once I figured out what I like about cars and why I enjoy driving them.

My two "fun" cars are currently a manual 2012 R8 V8 Spyder, owned since new, and a 400whp 2020 STI, because it's been the same car for the last 20 years. Both archaic by today's standards, but I'm completely content. Nice to haves would be the RS6 Avant, the new RS3, or IS 500, but I don't think I want any of them enough to buy one.,
      02-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post

Which one are you?

Skills bridge the gap between a fast driver in a slow car, and a slow driver in a fast car, especially true in smaller tracks and autocross where power becomes less relevant.

I find 5 is typically a dad to kids/teenagers that still live at home, the wife thinks the Z4M is too low and too loud, my kid loves it though
Haha you are definitely a type 2, since you just tried to explain the slow-fast car thing!! 😂😊

Love the Z4M!
      02-16-2022, 07:54 AM   #5
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I don't normally like to be pigeonholed, but I'm closest to 2. Cars after ~2015 evoke zero emotion from me. There are exceptions, all of which are over 100k and I can't get myself to splurge on. I used to be a "numbers" guy, but that changed once I figured out what I like about cars and why I enjoy driving them.

My two "fun" cars are currently a manual 2012 R8 V8 Spyder, owned since new, and a 400whp 2020 STI, because it's been the same car for the last 20 years. Both archaic by today's standards, but I'm completely content. Nice to haves would be the RS6 Avant, the new RS3, or IS 500, but I don't think I want any of them enough to buy one.,
Good for you, man! Solid choices ✊🏼
      02-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #6
hokie4life03
VT Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
I am probably type 2 as well...
      02-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I have had a love affair with the automobile going back to childhood. I guess I'm different than others as I move on quickly, don't look back, and feel cars are considerably better today than they have been at any other time in history. I have fond memories of cars I owned in the 80's, 90's, (I feel the 2000 decade was poor overall decade for vehicles with bland designs, cheapening of interiors, and teething issues with new engine and transmission tech) but in those days cars required a lot of aftermarket modifications to actually handle properly and today they are nearly perfect off the dealer lot. IMO the 2010's is where ICE started to peak moving into this decade. Electrification is clearly the biggest shift but since I choose to embrace change rather than live in the past I feel just as excited about what is coming as what we are leaving behind.
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #8
Topcarbon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4

I am all of the above
I am screwed
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I see myself as a 'realist' car enthusiast...

Loved cars from youth, but after working with cars in my younger days, realised there was always something better than what I could afford, or would be willing to put into my own motors.

Pretty much kept to that 'reality' ever since. Have other priorities for use of my resources, so choose a vehicle I'll enjoy driving for years, and is practical for my daily use. Then simply admire the rest!

Motoring... that has completely changed in my 50+ years of driving. To me, vehicles produced today simply reflect those changes and expectations.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #10
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

I'm not sure I fit into any of the boxes.

I like new stuff. I like the latest and greatest performance, with a good exhaust note, fast shifting and usability for daily conditions.

AWD is practically a must, but I love power sliding for fun, or switching off and having a nice place to spend time and listen to music loudly.

I like new looks that might take people a bit longer to "get used to".

Also like to lightly modify every car I've owned to make it a little unique, without messing with core functionality.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 09:39 AM   #11
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I am somewhere between 1 and 2, but I would argue there is a different subset of 1.

I buy fun cars in part based on 'Ring lap times. I track frequently, and I have done hot laps at Nürburgring myself. So to me the time means something based on my own experiences. But the "feel", "engagement" and "character" is also very important to me. This is why I can't fathom having an EV. I also realize that well driven fast car is faster than well driven slow car. So Driver Mod is key.

I am also a purists who loves NA V8s, and I refuse to own an automatic transmission, or dual-clutch, or anything without 3 pedals.

So what do I drive for fun today? A 2018 Camaro SS 1LE with a BIIIG V8 and a manual. Checks all boxes for me.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #12
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Pretty much 2 but with a speed/power obsession. Will pass up faster, more powerful cars because they aren't Japanese or German.
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00
Fined243.00
      02-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #13
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcarbon View Post
I am all of the above
I am screwed
Hahaha well done!
you are some kind of champion!
      02-16-2022, 10:10 AM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I'm the type that wants a 1960's car made to 2022 standards. Don't add anything to it, just make it like it was, but of higher quality.
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 10:20 AM   #15
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

[QUOTE=tubingchamp;28593755

AWD is practically a must,.[/QUOTE]

Reason please? I’d rather have a rwd in Michigan winter with snow tires than awd/4wd with bald tires. I think the sell in marketing awd suvs took some of the common sense driving out of drivers today, for daily driving that is. We have a TJ for when we want to hit back country trails, but again the % doing that daily is slim. Just mho.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #16
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm a strong #2

The overwhelming majority of "enthusiasts" are #1. I look down on 1s, as they are impressed by shiny things and meaningless numbers. They really don't seem to care about cars, most are just there to show off. They give a blank glare at the mention of steering feedback, handling, etc. I blame them for the automotive 0-60 rat race and demise of cars being lighter, more communicative, the death of manuals, and the eventual demise of ICE.
Appreciate 4
10"4946.00
stein_325i25051.00
Mavus2014.50
nicholasn261.00
      02-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #17
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post

A reason too for not daily driving my e85/86 winter salty roads. And been considering moving insurance to haggerty to cover the amount of mods that have been done to the e85. When I was almost sideswiped by a car transport wandering into my lane besides the obvious safety concern after I thought about how heart broken it’d be because of standard insurance wanting to total out the car if damage is extensive enough. And my kid loves the exhaust too Mrs is not as happy either but she did promise the e85 to him before he was ever born lol

Last edited by Piper1; 02-16-2022 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 10:46 AM   #18
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm a strong #2

The overwhelming majority of "enthusiasts" are #1. I look down on 1s, as they are impressed by shiny things and meaningless numbers. They really don't seem to care about cars, most are just there to show off. They give a blank glare at the mention of steering feedback, handling, etc. I blame them for the automotive 0-60 rat race and demise of cars being lighter, more communicative, the death of manuals, and the eventual demise of ICE.
I am right there with you my friend! ✊🏼
      02-16-2022, 10:48 AM   #19
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I'm the type that wants a 1960's car made to 2022 standards. Don't add anything to it, just make it like it was, but of higher quality.
Love this. This is exactly why I love my 1M so much. Classic ethos and philosophy in a relatively modern package
      02-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #20
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

A guy around my neighborhood has a Ferrari in his garage. It is rarely driven. Instead, he drives around in a pickup truck. Shame that he never takes out the Ferrari.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13544.50
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 11:12 AM   #21
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..Rush.. View Post
A guy around my neighborhood has a Ferrari in his garage. It is rarely driven. Instead, he drives around in a pickup truck. Shame that he never takes out the Ferrari.
He needs an FF or Lusso.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      02-16-2022, 11:21 AM   #22
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..Rush.. View Post
Exactly #5!