New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

anyone ever have comfort access issues?

3k on the odo and comfort access stopped working on both doors.. button lock/unlock works but the door sensor does not, i.e. keys in pocket cant unlock car, i replaced the battery too but no luck. any ideas/similar experiences before i take it to the dealership?
      04-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoven
3k on the odo and comfort access stopped working on both doors.. button lock/unlock works but the door sensor does not, i.e. keys in pocket cant unlock car, i replaced the battery too but no luck. any ideas/similar experiences before i take it to the dealership?
So you can lock the door by touching the handle but not unlock it?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
So you can lock the door by touching the handle but not unlock it?
handles stopped working, only the buttons work
      04-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

I had this happen off and on. Do you plug in your key at all? The key battery may just be low so just plug it in while you drive and it should help.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

My understanding was the battery does not recharge in the key fob like older units (my e38 would recharge) .....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
My understanding was the battery does not recharge in the key fob like older units (my e38 would recharge) .....
Not sure, when I picked up my '13, and '14 I was told by the SA to plug it once in awhile.

Either way it can't hurt?
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i tried plugging it in for a while and also changed fob battery but no luck well i am dropping it off at the dealer today, i flashed back to stock just now hopefully they dont try to blame the ecu flash to void warranty
      02-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
jawolf
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive30i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
comfort access

Did you ever solve the problem?
I have the same problem on my 2011 Z4.
I can unlock and lock the doors by the key fob but the doors won"t unlock by touching the handles. I also have to put the fob in the dash to start the car.
It is my understanding that if you have comfort access the key fob never has to go into the dash, that is why it has a replaceable battery instead of a rechargeable battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
- The CA key has a removable battery and does not charge in the key slot

- The key should get inserted into the key slot prior to going to a dealer for service. The key records the miles and service conditions. That is why the SA takes the key and sticks it in the little thingy on his desk.

- If there is a CA module error or CA antenna error, a code reader will show it

- Test the Other CA functions:
Does the trunk/boot lid unlock?
Does it allow you to lock your key in the car? (make sure you have another key!)

jawolf... did this key ever work for you for CA?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
fifthdawn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Its probably completely unrelated but I had the same problem a couple months ago.
I kept getting a "Increase battery discharge message" This usually causes my comfort access to not work. Guess it sees it as I am low on battery so to conserve battery, they turn off some functions such as comfort access.

So I bought it to an independent shop and they said.

1.) My battery is like 5 years old and is just losing its charge
2.) The battery sensor was bad, dont remember what exactly the part was. It was giving an incorrect battery reading or something like that. No matter what my battery charge was, it read it as being low on battery.

I replaced the battery and that battery sensory. My comfort access was fixed then.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthdawn View Post
Its probably completely unrelated but I had the same problem a couple months ago.
I kept getting a "Increase battery discharge message" This usually causes my comfort access to not work. Guess it sees it as I am low on battery so to conserve battery, they turn off some functions such as comfort access.

2.) The battery sensor was bad, dont remember what exactly the part was. It was giving an incorrect battery reading or something like that. No matter what my battery charge was, it read it as being low on battery.

I replaced the battery and that battery sensory. My comfort access was fixed then.

You are right on with this being a possibility. A weak battery will indeed result in non-vital systems being shut down.

I was recently reading another thread about key-fob remote having a very short range. This is a Diversity Antenna issue. Now the part I am skeptical about... A couple people said their CA worked better after they changed the Diversity Antenna. I am not convinced the Diversity Antenna has anything to do with CA... but then again I continue to learn something new about these cars all the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

don't mean to hijack the the thread but my CA door lock is acting stupid lately. i would have to stand there holding my finger to the lines hoping it'll lock eventually EVEN though i put my key fob in the insert every ride.
      02-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #13
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

The battery in the fob is a standard CR 2032 Lithium battery. Putting it into the dash slot doesn't charge it at all. It's the same battery that some of my wristwatches use so I have a few on hand to change them out. There is nothing rechargeable about them.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:

It's always helpful to check your battery with a voltmeter if you suspect it's the source of the problem. Check it in the morning after it's been fully discharged overnight. You don't want to read much below 12 V. However if all you do are short trips you're not giving the alternator enough time to recharge the battery. In that case you'll show low voltage even though your battery is still good.
You can also do a load test by having a helper start the car while you look at the meter. The battery shouldn't drop more than 2V before the engine turns over.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #15
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
It's always helpful to check your battery with a voltmeter if you suspect it's the source of the problem. Check it in the morning after it's been fully discharged overnight. You don't want to read much below 12 V. However if all you do are short trips you're not giving the alternator enough time to recharge the battery. In that case you'll show low voltage even though your battery is still good.
You can also do a load test by having a helper start the car while you look at the meter. The battery shouldn't drop more than 2V before the engine turns over.
I started having issues when I left an old iPhone 4 in the connected drive console. I only had the phone in there for the music, but for some reason having a phone in there keeps the system from going to sleep, and my battery would be dead in just a couple of days. I don't leave the phone in there any more. As a matter of fact, I don't even leave the snap in adapter as it seems to cause an issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:

I think is actually is related. I've also lately been getting slightly sketchy Comfort Access reliability and also have been getting the battery discharge message. Testing showed my battery (car, not key fob) to be down to about 50% capacity.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #17
jawolf
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
- The CA key has a removable battery and does not charge in the key slot

- The key should get inserted into the key slot prior to going to a dealer for service. The key records the miles and service conditions. That is why the SA takes the key and sticks it in the little thingy on his desk.

- If there is a CA module error or CA antenna error, a code reader will show it

- Test the Other CA functions:
Does the trunk/boot lid unlock?
Does it allow you to lock your key in the car? (make sure you have another key!)

jawolf... did this key ever work for you for CA?
I can only unlock the doors and trunk with the buttons on the key fob. If one fob is in the car I cannot lock the doors with the button on the other. Touching the door handle has no affect and I must put the key fob in the dash to start the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawolf View Post
I can only unlock the doors and trunk with the buttons on the key fob. If one fob is in the car I cannot lock the doors with the button on the other. Touching the door handle has no affect and I must put the key fob in the dash to start the car.
Very strange scenario.

If you have a reason to come up to South Bend, I can take a look at it for any error codes and perhaps swap in my CA module to test it out. I have an extra one on hand from another project that may work.

PM me if you like

Jim
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

I have noticed a strange phenomenon yesterday with my CA as well. Sometimes (not all the times, I should stress out), when the car is locked and I try to open the passenger door, the locks would unlock as I'm lifting the handle but then lock back right as I pull the door open. So far, it has happened more so on the passenger side than the driver side (almost 2:1 ratio). And repeating the process doesn't help either.... it unlocks when I pull up then locks right back when I pull the door open. Very strange.

After trying a few times persistently, I just resort to pressing the unlock button on the remote and it fixes the issue. I have no problems with the trunk or turning on the car so far, so it must be something with the door modules. I will have to take it to the dealer I guess... sigh
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #20
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctperson View Post
I have noticed a strange phenomenon yesterday with my CA as well. Sometimes (not all the times, I should stress out), when the car is locked and I try to open the passenger door, the locks would unlock as I'm lifting the handle but then lock back right as I pull the door open. So far, it has happened more so on the passenger side than the driver side (almost 2:1 ratio). And repeating the process doesn't help either.... it unlocks when I pull up then locks right back when I pull the door open. Very strange.

After trying a few times persistently, I just resort to pressing the unlock button on the remote and it fixes the issue. I have no problems with the trunk or turning on the car so far, so it must be something with the door modules. I will have to take it to the dealer I guess... sigh
Just a guess (based on personal experience): You're right-handed (or left-handed and driving a U.K. car) and your little finger is brushing against the locking portion of the handle when you open the door. That's why it mostly happens on the passenger side and not the driver's side.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #21
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan View Post
Just a guess (based on personal experience): You're right-handed (or left-handed and driving a U.K. car) and your little finger is brushing against the locking portion of the handle when you open the door. That's why it mostly happens on the passenger side and not the driver's side.
I was actually thinking the same thing. Hopefully it is as simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
jawolf
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Very strange scenario.

If you have a reason to come up to South Bend, I can take a look at it for any error codes and perhaps swap in my CA module to test it out. I have an extra one on hand from another project that may work.

PM me if you like

Jim
I really appreciate your input and offer to help. I am not sure when I will get there again but I will keep your offer in mind. I was actually there in the fall with the Indiana BMW club, they went to the Chocolate factory. I live near indianapolis.
Appreciate 0