New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Padding to sleep on

Wanting to get advice and suggestions on what padding/foam material to get that I can sleep on in the back of of an SUV when camping/fishing. Not interested in an air mattress. What did/do you have and what did you like or not like about it? What thickness did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
Wanting to get advice and suggestions on what padding/foam material to get that I can sleep on in the back of of an SUV when camping/fishing. Not interested in an air mattress. What did/do you have and what did you like or not like about it? What thickness did you go with?
My wife and I went through 3 different foam pads for van camping before we finally ditched them all and went with these: https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Mo...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

All the foam pads were just too squishy. We tried layering them on top of one another and ended up with a mess that was like 6 inches thick but you could still feel stuff under it as it just compacted down. Do yourself a favor and get a Thermorest.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      12-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #3
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

I tried a couple like the camping mats but ended up going back to And inflatable mattress with cells in it so it doesn't do the wobble thing. Was so comfortable in the e91.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      12-30-2021, 10:05 PM   #4
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I know you said no air mattress, but Exped is the absolute best. Period.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      01-02-2022, 06:10 PM   #5
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
My wife and I went through 3 different foam pads for van camping before we finally ditched them all and went with these: https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Mo...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

All the foam pads were just too squishy. We tried layering them on top of one another and ended up with a mess that was like 6 inches thick but you could still feel stuff under it as it just compacted down. Do yourself a favor and get a Thermorest.
My reluctance with an air mattress is the possibility of punctures and longevity. How well does it hold up against punctures? How long have you had it and how often do you use it?
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50
      01-02-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Quote:

My reluctance with an air mattress is the possibility of punctures and longevity. How well does it hold up against punctures? How long have you had it and how often do you use it?
I hear you. These things are entirely different from the $29 Walmart air mattresses you are probably thinking of and fearing. They have a foam support core inside that resists that annoying feature of regular air mattresses where they get all bouncy and transfer motion. It's like comparing a crappy 1970s waterbed with a new temperpedic mattress. Night and day difference. Plus they roll up small for easy transport where the foam mattress you are thinking about is a massive pain to transport.

We've had ours for 2 seasons now. Sold our van last year so it's back to tent camping. We've had more than a few nights on pretty sharp gravel, lots of dogs clawing their way over top of them, and no issues what so ever with punctures or damage. These things are light, tough, and super comfy. I'd say just buy 1 off Amazon and see how you like it. Inflate it in your livingroom and spend a night on it. If you don't like it just return it.

Our only complaint is that we have a 2 person sleeping bag and we stick two of these air mattresses side by side under it. In the tent the floor is kinda slippery and the air mattresses can shift around a bit under you in the night if you toss and turn. But in an SUV or van there's less room for them to shift so I don't think you'd encounter that issue.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      01-02-2022, 08:46 PM   #7
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I hear you. These things are entirely different from the $29 Walmart air mattresses you are probably thinking of and fearing. They have a foam support core inside that resists that annoying feature of regular air mattresses where they get all bouncy and transfer motion. It's like comparing a crappy 1970s waterbed with a new temperpedic mattress. Night and day difference. Plus they roll up small for easy transport where the foam mattress you are thinking about is a massive pain to transport.

We've had ours for 2 seasons now. Sold our van last year so it's back to tent camping. We've had more than a few nights on pretty sharp gravel, lots of dogs clawing their way over top of them, and no issues what so ever with punctures or damage. These things are light, tough, and super comfy. I'd say just buy 1 off Amazon and see how you like it. Inflate it in your livingroom and spend a night on it. If you don't like it just return it.

Our only complaint is that we have a 2 person sleeping bag and we stick two of these air mattresses side by side under it. In the tent the floor is kinda slippery and the air mattresses can shift around a bit under you in the night if you toss and turn. But in an SUV or van there's less room for them to shift so I don't think you'd encounter that issue.
Awesome, thanks, I’ll give it a try. Really nice to hear from someone with a good amount of experience using multiple types of sleeping pads on trips. One thing I can say about amazon is they have a really good, no questions asked return policy.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50
      01-04-2022, 06:45 PM   #8
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Exped looks and feels good, I haven't used it. I was in REI last weekend and saw the Exped pads. I have packpacked, tent and SUV camped for decades and have used many sleep systems: no pad on the ground, thin backpacking air pad, cot, old school air mattress, air mattress on cot and air mattress plus blanket.

I am not in the market for a sleep pad now, but if I was I would likely go with the Exped.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      01-05-2022, 09:08 AM   #9
antgenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 Infinity Q50  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
I am using this one in my Sprinter van. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W67PJ4M...roduct_details
Great support with only 4" high.
It can be bulky for the SUV though...
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50
      01-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #10
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Exped for sure. I've had mine for a while, and it's been fantastic. Zero complaints.
Appreciate 2
chassis6552.50
E92inNC1709.50
      01-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #11
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
I have had my thermorests for 13 years now and they are still going strong. I really enjoy them for camping which can't be that much different than car camping.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1709.50