New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Illuminated manual shift knob

Anyone ever looked into retrofitting a Z4 e89 6 speed manual with an illuminated shift knob? It's something I miss from my Z3 era M roadster. A simple but fun feature.

Perhaps the cigarette lighter power source could be used.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:53 AM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

There would be no problem using the cigarette lighter lamp circuit for illumination.
Does look nice, but does it fit?

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:57 AM   #3
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am in the middle of this project. Waiting on a final part. I'm not going to use the shift knob pictured. I found a different one I like better. Will post photos when the project is completed.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally finished this project. I ended up using an M Performance shift knob. I believe this was designed for the M2. It didn't get much love on an M2 forum... but I like it. I think it looks good with my black, red and aluminum/carbon interior. The backlighting is fun. And, I like the feel better than the stock knob (although, I didn't mind the stock knob).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
dcg78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11' Sdrive35i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhoag View Post
Finally finished this project. I ended up using an M Performance shift knob. I believe this was designed for the M2. It didn't get much love on an M2 forum... but I like it. I think it looks good with my black, red and aluminum/carbon interior. The backlighting is fun. And, I like the feel better than the stock knob (although, I didn't mind the stock knob).

I like it! Thanks for posting. I purchased a ZHP weighted knob but when I went to install I noticed the factory knob is attached to the boot as one piece. I’m not sure how people install them? I also noticed the M5 (lighted) knob has the boot attached. Might try that or go with your setup. Did you have to modify anything or was this a plug and play install?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Glad you like it! Unfortunately, I didn't take any install pics... but I can explain the process.

What you need is:
- Your stock shift knob (you need the plastic base from this)
- The M Performance shift knob (this has the boot attached) (Part #: 51952420600)
- A "small white" retrofit connector with splice clips (I got this from Andy at LeatherZ)

The M performance knob comes with alcantara boot attached as well as a plastic base with clips (like the one in the Z4 with the exception that the M2 plastic base is completely inside the boot whereas the Z4 has 2 pieces, one of which is exposed outside the boot). Unfortunately the M2 base won't simply snap into the Z4 slot. But, there is enough fabric to make the boot work with the plastic base from the stock Z4 knob.

So, what I did was remove the plastic base from the M Performance knob (1 piece). Then remove the plastic base from the stock knob (2 pieces). Slip the inner ring of the stock knob into the performance knob boot until the front corners line up with the stitching. I used staples to attach the fabric to the plastic ring as they could be placed quickly and also removed if I needed to make adjustments. After the front was well aligned to the stitching, I just worked my way around with staples. The performance boot is slightly asymmetric, so it takes some care to make it line up well with the symmetric Z4 base. Once you are happy with the alignment of the boot around the inner ring, you have to trim the excess fabric in order to allow the inner ring to clip into the outer ring. I'd recommend leaving the boot fabric full length at the 4 corners as it helps to have leverage to pull the inner ring into the outer ring and also allows for a clean look at the corners.

At that point, the new boot is complete. The last thing is the wiring. You could cut the plug off of the new knob and splice that directly into center console wiring... but it was easy enough to get a little retrofit kit from LeatherZ. They can send the connecting cable and 2 easy to use splice clips. I chose to splice into the sport/comfort switch wiring as it was close to the shift knob and results in the shift knob being illuminated the same as the other interior lights (i.e. on/off or dimmed vs always on).
Appreciate 0