New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

organ donation recipient ...Kind of

I am having spinal surgery next week and I am going to have cadaver bone implanted in my cervical spine. I realize that it's not a heart or a liver but it's still a part of someone
So I was wondering if I should try to track down the family of the donor and try to thank them somehow,maybe it would help ease the pain of losing a loved one?
Then I really started to wonder about who will be residing in my body, It's a weird feeling knowing somebody died and you get to benefit from it.
I do plan on returning the favor one day when I cease to exist, I have always had my license indicate that I am an organ donor.

Here is a video of the procedure
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

good luck! Thats one hell of a surgery!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

with that plate and screw can you still bend your neck?

that looks painful...
      08-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

wow thats a crazy surgery, good luck man!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Good luck bro, I as well as my family are organ donors, no reason to be greedy after I'm dead.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

Good luck man!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
that looks painful...
i was just thinking the exact same thing. and it looks painful for the rest of your life, too. my mom had back surgery to fix her persistent back pains and she's probably worse off now than before. good luck, OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Watched the video of the actual surgery, you must be in a lot of pain to under go something like this.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I had an encondroma (http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00085) when I was younger and received cadaver bone. To be honest since I was only 13 when I had the procedure done I had never really thought of trying to find the donor's family. Unlike organs (heart, etc) that go from a donor to a recipient almost immediately after death, I think bone is able to sit in a bank for a while before being used, so whoever you happen to be getting the bone from might have been dead for a while.
      08-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

It's not required by any means, but you can always ask your physician if you want to give thanks.

Good luck with the procedure OP, hope it brings you relief!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
this reminds me to make sure to put down that im an organ donor when i renew my license.... i just dont know if they will want to use any of my organs because when they test the herbs in my system im going to be so far off the charts they wont be able to properly identify the concentration of it in my blood! But im sure they can still salvage a couple of parts.

there is one thing that kind of worries me about it though. If one gets into an accident and you reach the hospital and need intensive care (borderline death), I dont want any human being knowing that I am an organ donor until after I die. The last thing I want is a doctor playing god and decides to "let me slip" so he can send my body off to be butchered asap to get my guts out and off to the next person. Now dont get me wrong, theres no problem with someone getting my goods, i dont need them anymore lol.

im just wondering if there is a way to keep the fact that i am an organ donor away from the first responders on the sight as well as the medical attendants. Ive given this way to much thought...

anyways, good luck with your surgery, that looks really rough. I dont think I have the balls to do that kind of surgery voluntarily... I would have to be knocked out and somone make the decision for me. I just hope you dont experience too much pain afterwards. Hope you heal quickly!
      08-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

whoa that's crazy. I think you should follow through with the family. If you don't, it sounds like the thought of someone else's body part being part of you will drive you insane.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys,

I would not even think about having this done if it wasn't warranted, Somewhere along my life I damaged my cervical spine and it has caused Osteophyte growth from c7 to my c4 vertebrae basically it is extra bone growth that is pushing on my discs and on the spinal chord causing unbelievable pain, so it has to be done.

I had me pre-op appt at Georgetown today and completely forgot to ask about if they will give me contact info on the donors family, the nurse had these scrubs on that seemed to be cut lower than normal and well I seem to forget everything when a nice set of tits is displayed in my face
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
this reminds me to make sure to put down that im an organ donor when i renew my license.... i just dont know if they will want to use any of my organs because when they test the herbs in my system im going to be so far off the charts they wont be able to properly identify the concentration of it in my blood! But im sure they can still salvage a couple of parts.

there is one thing that kind of worries me about it though. If one gets into an accident and you reach the hospital and need intensive care (borderline death), I dont want any human being knowing that I am an organ donor until after I die. The last thing I want is a doctor playing god and decides to "let me slip" so he can send my body off to be butchered asap to get my guts out and off to the next person. Now dont get me wrong, theres no problem with someone getting my goods, i dont need them anymore lol.

im just wondering if there is a way to keep the fact that i am an organ donor away from the first responders on the sight as well as the medical attendants. Ive given this way to much thought...

anyways, good luck with your surgery, that looks really rough. I dont think I have the balls to do that kind of surgery voluntarily... I would have to be knocked out and somone make the decision for me. I just hope you dont experience too much pain afterwards. Hope you heal quickly!
Just for you Kie

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post

They have to know immediately. There is other important information on people's identity cards, not just their organ donor status. Plus, they need that information so that they can alert the new host and their medical team, should that seem to be a likely need. There is not much of a window for certain organ donations, and preparations need to be put in place should an organ donation appear to be impending.

But relax, no physician is going to let you 'slip' in order to get a hand at your organs. That directly violates the most sacred code to "do no harm". There is very strict protocol for this sort of thing. Moreover, the people treating you are not going to be the ones harvesting your organs, god forbid, and they CERTAINLY won't be the ones caring for the transplant recipients. The first goal is that all attempts are made to preserve life as long as there is a semblance of hope or the slightest chance for recovery. The crazy, frightening situations you see on tv are just that - television drama, nothing more.

So chill, and go become an organ donor
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #16
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, I had the surgery on 8/31. I remember looking at the clock in the OR right before they put me under, it was 2:05 pm. the next thing I remember is total darkness and someone asking me questions and informing me that my surgery went well...I had two things on my mind at this point, the first was if my wife and daughter survived the horrible car accident we had been in, One of the doctors said your wife is fine and I kept asking about my daughter and I could not get an answer about her, I felt helpless and I knew when something really bad happens they do not want to tell you right after surgery.
The second thing on my mind was that I had never ever had to piss so bad in my life, so I asked if someone could help me go to the bathroom and one of the dr.'s laughed and said just let it go man you'll be fine.

So to recap, in about 10 seconds of awakening I thought I lost my little girl and had a Dr. laugh at my need to urinate and possibly make a dumb and dumber reference , "just let it go man" and then I realize that someone thought installing a catheter would be a great idea.
Luckily I remembered that I was having spinal surgery and was not in a car accident and my family was fine, but I had what felt like a garden hose jammed in my cock hole

They rolled me into the post anesthesia recovery room and the clock read 5:10, The pain was reaching EPIC levels and these nurses were great getting me warm blankets alternating shots of Dilaudid and morphine and calming me down ....so calm that I felt it necessary to examine this catheter, The pain of the surgery paled in comparison to the pain of having this contraption installed, I still felt like I had to piss and this fucking thing hurt bad.

I never thought much about a catheter before this day, I figured installation and removal would hurt but once it was in it should be great, I always thought they would be quite handy for a big game and a day of beer drinking.
So not having a care in the world I pulled up my gown and showed the nurses how you could see the tube go in my dick, clearly showing it's outline throughout the shaft and showing itself once more on my ball sack before it disappears, they did not seem as concerned about this as I was and said that normally they do not allow visitors to this part of the hospital but they thought it would be a good thing if my wife came back to visit me.

Soon after, they moved me to a private room. All alone my quest to have this medieval torture device started again. My nurse told me It could not be removed until 6 am which was 10 hours away. I begged and pleaded to no avail, I tried to sleep and dozed in and out until about 2am when I called the nurse and CRIED like a baby, she gave me another shot of morphine and repositioned the tube, I nodded off and about an hour later I awoke to more pain I tried to reposition it again and much to my surprise I pissed myself
The fucking thing was still inside me but turned itself into a sprinkler FML. The nurse finally removed it and after an hour or so the pain subsided and was released later that morning. So far so good most of the pre surgery pain is gone My Dr. said everything went well and to take it easy for the next two weeks
I am still in a lot of pain but most of it seems to be surgery related, I am wearing a cervical collar for the next 2 weeks, I cannot seem to be able to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time but each day it seems to get better.
So once again I completly forgot about the donor info after my catheter ordeal
I am thinking of inventing a new style of catheter, one that fits more like a condom and uses a gentle sucking motion to stay in place.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
with that plate and screw can you still bend your neck?

that looks painful...
Yes you can but with a reduced range of motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post
Thanks guys,

I would not even think about having this done if it wasn't warranted, Somewhere along my life I damaged my cervical spine and it has caused Osteophyte growth from c7 to my c4 vertebrae basically it is extra bone growth that is pushing on my discs and on the spinal chord causing unbelievable pain, so it has to be done.

I had me pre-op appt at Georgetown today and completely forgot to ask about if they will give me contact info on the donors family, the nurse had these scrubs on that seemed to be cut lower than normal and well I seem to forget everything when a nice set of tits is displayed in my face
They will not give out that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post

I am thinking of inventing a new style of catheter, one that fits more like a condom and uses a gentle sucking motion to stay in place.
That is called a full- service nurse
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I've had two heart transplants. Ask the doctors and they should give you the option. good luck with operation.
Appreciate 0