New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

Can the 35is rear calipers be rebuilt?

I'm upgrading to 35is brakes all around and just received the calipers back from the powder coater. Before I sent them out I attempted to fully disassemble but couldnt get the piston sheath/bellow off of the rears. One side I basically decimated trying to remove, and the other side I just left alone so the shop could remove it before coating.

When I went to pick them up today the shop informed me that they also couldnt get them off, but that they seemed to hold up just fine to coating. Now I'm curious if theyre even supposed to come off? Anyone done this before or have any insight?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

Answer. Yes.

For anyone looking to do this in the future, you need to take a hammer and screw driver to the piston seal on the rear calipers. On the front caliper the seal hugs the outer surface mating surface of the lip sticking out of the piston bore. It's not a super tight fit, and easy to pull the seal off with a screw driver. For the rears, the seal is press fit against the inner mating surface of the lip sticking out of the piston bore. It cannot be removed by simply pulling on it, and will need to be deformed to release tension, and then slid out.

I discovered this the hard way by taking a dremel to the seal until I realized what exactly what happening. be careful not to damage the lip. Hope that helps vaguely guide anyone looking to do this in the future.
Appreciate 0