New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
jake169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 35is

Charge Pipe

Could someone please explain the difference and benefits of having an aftermarket charge-pipe with BOV and a aftermarket charge pipe without BOV.
I am looking to get a charge-pipe but am confused on which way to go.

Thanks,
Jake.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Bov empty to the atmosphere where as diverters will keep the air in the system. If you want quiet go with DV. The Tial Bovs sound good, a little on the quiet size. HKS Bovs are really loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Yeah the Tial has a good reputation. I originally ordered the Synapse but it seems to have gone off market with a number of vendors, possibly given squirrely behavior some people seem to have experienced? Not sure ... but I know when I ordered my ER CP, etektuning wouldn't supply it, though they seem to be available again.

The car stock comes with diverter valves. Some folks switch to Forge DV's (you can search). Plenty written about this stuff on various N54 forums. It's a matter of personal preference - I don't know that any benefits exist.

Filippo
      08-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake169 View Post
Could someone please explain the difference and benefits of having an aftermarket charge-pipe with BOV and a aftermarket charge pipe without BOV.
I am looking to get a charge-pipe but am confused on which way to go.

Thanks,
Jake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Bov empty to the atmosphere where as diverters will keep the air in the system. If you want quiet go with DV. The Tial Bovs sound good, a little on the quiet size. HKS Bovs are really loud.
+1

In terms of performance, it will not make any difference whether you have a BOV or not. It is only for the sound

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
jake169
Private First Class
Rep

Are there any other companies that make a charge pipe for the 35is. I have researched and so far found only ER and Stett. From what I have read ER charge pipe is a hit or miss when it come to fitment to any other FMIC except for ER FMIC. I am looking to get the Wagner competition EVO2. So I am not sure which CP to go with.

Anyone have experience with the Stett CP and its fitment.

I already have the ECS Carbon intake(damn thing is beauty, almost don't feel like installing as it will be hidden under the hood). I am waiting to install this as I figure once I have the intake out, I can do the CP as well.

Thanks so much for all the input here.
Jake.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are there any other companies that make a charge pipe for the 35is. I have researched and so far found only ER and Stett. From what I have read ER charge pipe is a hit or miss when it come to fitment to any other FMIC except for ER FMIC. I am looking to get the Wagner competition EVO2. So I am not sure which CP to go with.

I already have the ECS Carbon intake(damn thing is beauty, almost don't feel like installing as it will be hidden under the hood). I am waiting to install this as I figure once I have the intake out, I can do the CP as well.

Jake.

Wagner FMIC + ER charge pipe will fit without any problems. Not sure about the hit or miss on the ER CP, we never had any issues.

Check out the vendor section we are offering combo deals on these 2 products

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
jake169
Private First Class
Rep

Will this fit with the Wagner EVO2 competition kit with comes with the silicone pipes
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
saintvilk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 z4 E89

Quote:

Jake.
both CP manufactures are great i am sure; however, i had trouble fitting the ER Chargepipe to the stock FMIC . so at the end i went with stett. and didnt have a problem installing it. i have seen many cases that people never had a problem fitting and installing ER chargepipe to stock FMIC. the CP was off by a about 2 inches and was off by a different angle counterclock wise. i tried a different coupling , however didnt work so went to stett. maybe it is my luck ER CP didnt work, but you may have a different experience.

Last edited by saintvilk; 08-15-2016 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will this fit with the Wagner EVO2 competition kit with comes with the silicone pipes
Yes it will fit with the EVO 2

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
The Tial Bovs sound good, a little on the quiet size. HKS Bovs are really loud.
...and if you order the TiAL and feel it's too quiet; Turbosmart sells a 50mm BOV that bolts onto the same flange. The noise, for me, is perfect as it's 1/2 way between TiAL and HKS in terms of sound and loudness. Make sure you order the "female flange raceport" the other model(s) of the 50mm Raceport won't mount to the TiAL flange.
Appreciate 0