New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

Normal, Sport, or Sport Plus?

What are you usually in? Ive been in normal and sport mostly since I've been learning how to drive the manual and want to play with sport+. I have the m-adaptive suspensions.
Does sport+ do anything other than putting the car in DTC mode and heavier steering?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
dwspen01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
What are you usually in? Ive been in normal and sport mostly since I've been learning how to drive the manual and want to play with sport+. I have the m-adaptive suspensions.
Does sport+ do anything other than putting the car in DTC mode and heavier steering?
Read your manual. It includes a nice table that explains all the settings.
      04-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
TommyDJG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Sport and Sport+ stiffen the steering and change the throttle map to a quicker one (as well as stiffening the active suspension). Then Sport+ also disables certain driver aids/traction control which don't cut in when the wheels begin to spin (as far as i'm aware).

I'm in Sport+ 90% of the time.
Normal 10% of the time (when I'm parking up or on the motorway).

I'm in Sport+ a lot of the time as I want to drive the car as manually as possible, without having the aids kicking in and affecting the drive. I think you don't actually learn how to drive a car with so many aids as you don't understand how certain inputs, at certain times, in certain weather conditions, affect the car. So if ever you drove a car without said aids, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble
That being said, for the first month I did only use Normal and Sport modes, good idea when getting to grips with a 300bhp RWD sportscar!

Coming from an Integra Type-R with only ABS and Power Steering, I'm used to not relying on lots driver aids to save my hide. Best way to learn, and drive.
      04-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDJG View Post
Sport and Sport+ stiffen the steering and change the throttle map to a quicker one (as well as stiffening the active suspension). Then Sport+ also disables certain driver aids/traction control which don't cut in when the wheels begin to spin (as far as i'm aware).

I'm in Sport+ 90% of the time.
Normal 10% of the time (when I'm parking up or on the motorway).

I'm in Sport+ a lot of the time as I want to drive the car as manually as possible, without having the aids kicking in and affecting the drive. I think you don't actually learn how to drive a car with so many aids as you don't understand how certain inputs, at certain times, in certain weather conditions, affect the car. So if ever you drove a car without said aids, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble
That being said, for the first month I did only use Normal and Sport modes, good idea when getting to grips with a 300bhp RWD sportscar!

Coming from an Integra Type-R with only ABS and Power Steering, I'm used to not relying on lots driver aids to save my hide. Best way to learn, and drive.
I've been playing around in sport+ all day and its definitely different from sport. I have a manual and its so much easier to smoothly get into first gear without having to use so much pressure on the gas. It also stiffens everything up and actually performs how a Z4 should around the corners. It looks like it gives me a little wheelspin but just a half a second or so then it nannies. Cant wait to take her to the track/autocross and take advantage of this.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Tommyg makes some good points about all the settings making it difficult to learn the car. And remember the adaptive suspension is also trying to figure out (adapt) to the situation on its own within a given setting. This to me is sometimes over thinking and I would rather establish a good set up and learn to drive it.
BMW has some short videos about this. Try googling for them.
In everyday driving however, I do enjoy being able to use normal on rough or washboard pavement . It should help reduce suspension stress or damage. I also start out in normal while the oil is warming up because the shift points are at a lower RPM. After a warm up I switch to sport to raise the rpm to shift at about 3000 rpm with a light throttle, and help reduce fouling and deposits in normal traffic. The car will often be one gear lower than in normal.
BEWARE when you enter heavy traffic from a side road. If you are in normal, especially if a turn onto the road is required, the nannies will cause a hesitation of about a second which is an eternity if a truck is bearing down on you. I hope I always remember to take off in sport or sport+.
The shifting is also firmer in sport and more so in sport+, this to me is not good for the drive line and is unnecessary.
All in all I like having the normal for, well, comfortable normal driving in traffic and then firm it up as desired. If I intend to track or auto cross I would drive in sport or sport+ for a few days before hand to get the feel of the throttle response etc.

Last edited by Zyal8r; 04-08-2016 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
Tommyg makes some good points about all the settings making it difficult to learn the car. And remember the adaptive suspension is also trying to figure out (adapt) to the situation on its own within a given setting. This to me is sometimes over thinking and I would rather establish a good set up and learn to drive it.
BMW has some short videos about this. Try googling for them.
In everyday driving however, I do enjoy being able to use normal on rough or washboard pavement . It should help reduce suspension stress or damage. I also start out in normal while the oil is warming up because the shift points are at a lower RPM. After a warm up I switch to sport to raise the rpm to shift at about 3000 rpm with a light throttle, and help reduce fouling and deposits in normal traffic. The car will often be one gear lower than in normal.
BEWARE when you enter heavy traffic from a side road. If you are in normal, especially if a turn onto the road is required, the nannies will cause a hesitation of about a second which is an eternity if a truck is bearing down on you. I hope I always remember to take off in sport or sport+.
The shifting is also firmer in sport and more so in sport+, this to me is not good for the driveline and is unnecessary.
All in all I like having the normal for, well, comfortable normal driving in traffic and then firm it up as desired. If I intend to track or auto cross I would drive in sport or sport+ for a few days before hand to get the feel of it.
I did hear about the 3,000 rpm for deposits but thought it was just for diesel?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here are some videos. Check out the driving dynamics titles. Also most owners are not aware that the adaptive suspension has sensors on individual wheels continually adjusting the ride.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...modelcode=0929
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
I did hear about the 3,000 rpm for deposits but thought it was just for diesel?
Normal mode is also economy mode and so it keeps the car in the highest possible gear as much as it can (DCT). Direct injection is notorious for causing deposits because the fuel does not wash over the back of the valves but goes straight into the cylinders. The back of the valves get deposits somehow from oil. Again google DFI deposits. Using higher revs is thought to help keep down deposits. I hope gasoline additives also help because the cures are messy. Toyota even injects some fuel ahead of the dfi to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #9
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
I hope gasoline additives also help because the cures are messy. .
Gas additives can't help because:

Quote:
the fuel does not wash over the back of the valves
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
TommyDJG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Ah I should have said, I run a manual so don't have to worry about the later/stronger shifts of the auto. Good point made there
      04-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
pavproch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330ixT

Never driven a single kilometer/mile in Normal....

After more than two full seasons of getting acquitanted with my Zet in Sport mode (ie. guardian angels "on") I am daring to drive more and more kilometers in "sport+" and it simply feels good.

One of the reasons leading me to switching the Sport+ in, is its steering response/feeling, which I am sure is definitiely more driver-oriented than Sport.
      04-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Gas additives can't help because:

Well said and very diplomatic
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 01:36 AM   #13
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDJG View Post
I'm used to not relying on lots driver aids to save my hide. Best way to learn, and drive.
The only way to get turn off all "nanny" controls you need to keep it comfort, and just hold the traction button till you see DSC inactive. In sport, sport + you'll still experience the nanny kicking in.

When I was stock I was Sport +, but after FBO + Wedge/ BQ tuning I keep it in comfort with everything switched off. Dimitri works wonders with a DCT so comfort shifts are faster, and smoother.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After several days of driving all options. Sport+ is what this car was intended for. Nice, tight, and great engine response.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The Pause that wrecks you

[QUOTE=jts1981;19730180]The only way to get turn off all "nanny" controls you need to keep it comfort, and just hold the traction button till you see DSC inactive. In sport, sport + you'll still experience the nanny kicking in.

That's good to know. I really hate when I am doing a right on red and I want to get out in front of a line of traffic or a dump truck and I get a pause. I can"t believe a pause is a safety benefit. Is mine working right? What if I hold the button down in sport or sport +
So now I guess I have to remember to hold the button down before entering traffic while turning. Anyone else having this experience or is this just me?

Last edited by Zyal8r; 04-24-2016 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: add words
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #16
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
That's good to know. I really hate when I am doing a right on red and I want to get out in front of a line of traffic or a dump truck and I get a pause. I can"t believe a pause is a safety benefit. Is mine working right? What if I hold the button down in sport or sport +
So now I guess I have to remember to hold the button down before entering traffic while turning. Anyone else having this experience or is this just me?
I don't really recommend turning it off and floor, if you don't have enough "DSC OFF" experience. These cars don't have LSDs, so it is so hard to control the car after it spins. One wheel start spinning, car stops giving power to that wheel but other wheel is still getting the power so you may loss your control easily. It is fun after you learn it but would be a nightmare if you spin middle of the road.
      04-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #17
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

DSC off experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhagursoy View Post
I don't really recommend turning it off and floor, if you don't have enough "DSC OFF" experience. These cars don't have LSDs, so it is so hard to control the car after it spins. One wheel start spinning, car stops giving power to that wheel but other wheel is still getting the power so you may loss your control easily. It is fun after you learn it but would be a nightmare if you spin middle of the road.
Glad you brought that up. I have owned 300+HP cars since the 60s. They did have limited slip differentials,but no electronics whatsoever. Now with the electronics and the buttons the driver doesn't get much chance to learn the car under controlled conditions with the electronics off. We also did not have wide low profile, staggered tire set ups with negative camber. I am thinking that with dsc off it will understeer strongly but as you warned, require careful throttle to avoid sudden power oversteer when cornering. ("which can be fun") With the DSC off is it any different than any other car in that respect or is it more dramatic because of the rearward weight bias?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #18
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Glad you brought that up. I have owned 300+HP cars since the 60s. They did have limited slip differentials,but no electronics whatsoever. Now with the electronics and the buttons the driver doesn't get much chance to learn the car under controlled conditions with the electronics off. We also did not have wide low profile, staggered tire set ups with negative camber. I am thinking that with dsc off it will understeer strongly but as you warned, require careful throttle to avoid sudden power oversteer when cornering. ("which can be fun") With the DSC off is it any different than any other car in that respect or is it more dramatic because of the rearward weight bias?
It is way different than my e90 325i. Yes 325 is a slow car and doesn't have LSD either but I can turn the DSC off when it rains/snow and have fun. I tried same thing with the Z more than 10 times, still cannot handle it properly when it starts spinning.
      04-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #19
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

I run in Sport most of the time. Mainly for the firmer steering. IMHO the steering in normal is just way too light. Don't notice a huge difference in suspension between Sport and Sport+

I'd probably run Sport + if it wasn't for that damned DSC Off light staring me in the face.
I know, a piece of electrical tape or move the steering wheel or seat so you can't see it or maybe Prozac would help.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

[QUOTE=Zyal8r]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
The only way to get turn off all "nanny" controls you need to keep it comfort, and just hold the traction button till you see DSC inactive. In sport, sport + you'll still experience the nanny kicking in.

No pause here. Manual transmission

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #21
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
No pause here. Manual transmission
Same here. The responses to threads like these that mention poor response always confuse me until I remember that many - if not most - people have to deal with the transmission not shifting quick enough for them. Honestly I wish I could get the steering and suspension feel of Sport mode with the throttle sensitivity of Normal. I don't like the touchiness of Sport mode's throttle sensitivity setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:23 AM   #22
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Tangent

Me too. Now I have Cobb AP installed and replaced the sensitive pedal response in sport mode of my custom map with an almost linear response. I have used the tool Access Tuner Race:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0