New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #23
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Tx, this is getting too complicated for me unless someone posted how exactly to dissemble and pinpoint the prb areas. I guess I didn't think these potential prbs through when I got the Z4 as my only car lol. Knock wood, the roof is still fine. For the moment, I'm just gonna keep trying to stuff the rear area and also the base of the floor w rags and periodically dry them out.
Keep the car garaged and don’t drive in the rain all it’s all fixed 👌
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 06:46 PM   #24
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

I replaced the two rear vents. Part Number 64-22-6-909-340. Cost: $43.

Couldn't find any schematics on the web to perform the installation. The stealership did it for me ($345).

At first glance, and after a super heavy 24 hours rain here in PNW, it seems that it did the trick. The battery and the rooftop pump compartment is totally dry.

I will continue to monitor and report back.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2023, 04:14 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
I replaced the two rear vents. Part Number 64-22-6-909-340. Cost: $43.

Couldn't find any schematics on the web to perform the installation. The stealership did it for me ($345).

At first glance, and after a super heavy 24 hours rain here in PNW, it seems that it did the trick. The battery and the rooftop pump compartment is totally dry.

I will continue to monitor and report back.
Any update? Oh, if you could please take a photo, that would be great because I have no idea what is the part and where it's located.

So, I skimmed my thread and I don't think I have any visible trim crack issues. The water is coming long that 'waterway' coming down from the top of the trunk to the sides and somehow the water is supposed to fall down at where it meets the rear lights?? (I cannot state what a STUPID design this is, how is it possible to have such a stupid design for water to travel that way???) Anyway, something is wrong because instead of falling out harmlessly, the water is accumulated in the bottom well of the trunk where the battery and other stuff are located. I have tried to alleviate the prb by stuffing cloths where the toolkit is supposed to be in addition to the rear trunk wall (for me, that is where the water is coming from). Besides getting my trunk well wet, water eventually drips down onto the ground and as a result rusted the surrounding area (pls see photo): is this a cause for concern?

I experimented stuffing w cloth the side of the 'waterways' before it meets the rear lights and as a result water flowed from the left and right sides of the floor well; before that, the water only came from the rear side.

Anyway, what a pita and stupid design. Argh.
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 03:34 PM   #26
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

The fix passed the PNW winter with flying colors. The trunk and the battery compartment are now dry like the Atacama desert

Even the SA was not aware where these flaps / rear vents are. He had to talk to his foreman. It seems that there are 2 options to get there: either remove the rear bumper or remove the wheel arch liners. Not sure what they did. I can go and ask if you insist

P/N: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/64226909340/

I don't think that it's a design issue. Otherwise there would be thousands of people complaining. It's probably a manufacturing issue and/or the quality of the first rear vent was not closely looked at. My car was produced during March 2009, so the very first batch.

Looking at your pictures, holy cow, you better fix this ASAP at your BMW dealership and ask an indie shop to give a closer look at the underbody rust, maybe apply a coater such as Rust Oleum.

Good luck. Peace.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2023, 04:18 PM   #27
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 03-03-2024 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2023, 05:27 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
The fix passed the PNW winter with flying colors. The trunk and the battery compartment are now dry like the Atacama desert

Even the SA was not aware where these flaps / rear vents are. He had to talk to his foreman. It seems that there are 2 options to get there: either remove the rear bumper or remove the wheel arch liners. Not sure what they did. I can go and ask if you insist

P/N: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/64226909340/

I don't think that it's a design issue. Otherwise there would be thousands of people complaining. It's probably a manufacturing issue and/or the quality of the first rear vent was not closely looked at. My car was produced during March 2009, so the very first batch.

Looking at your pictures, holy cow, you better fix this ASAP at your BMW dealership and ask an indie shop to give a closer look at the underbody rust, maybe apply a coater such as Rust Oleum.

Good luck. Peace.
Tx for your update and info. Sigh, I have no idea where those vents are located. I guess I'll just keep doing the cloth thing unless I feel like tackling this project, it's a pita esp when techs couldn't find out easily where the leak comes from.

I do disagree and would say it's a design defect....the waterway leads to the rear lights, and then who knows where it's channeled? It's just a stupid design, and relying upon some plastic? flaps is just insane. I'm sure the Japanese are smarter than that and don't have this prb, but I thought that Germans were smart too. One would think that they would be esp careful since it's a roadster and all those electronics are back there including the roof pump, lights, various wiring, etc, but they just 'winged it' it seems. I now suspect that's probably why my right rear light died as LED is supposed to last a long time.

EDIT: I imagine what they designed is akin to having some layers of sheet metal separating Mike Tyson from the guy he wants to kill. Sure, it'll hold him for a bit but *eventually* those sheet metal WILL fail and that guy will be dead LOL. Vs look at a Miata trunk, for example, it's basically a tub and the metal surrounding is molded so that water will NEVER have a hint of going in there and will just slide off the rear of the car harmlessly. Simple, effective. I have NO idea what BMW was doing, trying to be cute and I see some stupid trim in the trunk and haven't the foggiest clue why it's there because I dunno why water is being guided there in the first place. Argh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiZ4 View Post
Even these rust pictures can be found on many E89 including mine, that is always parking in a dry and warm garage. It's not a structural issue, but doesn't look very nice.
Tx, that's good to know. I hate going to the mechanic for non-regular stuff.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 05-06-2023 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 12:15 AM   #29
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 03-03-2024 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2023, 03:37 AM   #30
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

I'm glad there's a solution for this. Something to keep an eye on. In my Mercedes GLE, I have a recall to correct a leak in the rear... the solution is to drill a hole to let the water out rather than correct the water from getting in...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 04:38 AM   #31
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 03-03-2024 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:58 AM   #32
davidmacdonald
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

I have same issue on my X3 E83, could not find the leak...

As my driveway slopes slightly I temporarily solved the water leak by parking the car the opposite direction to the way I usually park....

I now park slightly 'nose up' and no more water comes in ... bizarre!

Still need to work out why it leaks though...!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 12:12 PM   #33
B21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tx, this is getting too complicated for me unless someone posted how exactly to dissemble and pinpoint the prb areas. I guess I didn't think these potential prbs through when I got the Z4 as my only car lol. Knock wood, the roof is still fine. For the moment, I'm just gonna keep trying to stuff the rear area and also the base of the floor w rags and periodically dry them out.
As these cars age you need access to a good Indy or be good at DIY..sadly…
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 06:12 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Down in the trunk on both sides behind the interior trims.
Attachment 3174669

The Z4 E89 "body in white" was not developed by BMW, but by the Swedish company SEMCON, several thousands kilometer north of Munich.

Have a look at the attached PDF.
Tx. I only got notified of your post now due to some weird glitch.

Anyway, can you please explain what you meant by 'body in white'? I'm confused.

I can't visually determine if replace those seals would do the trick. So far I think that the water is coming in from the rear panel of the trunk: is the trunk floor lower than where the seals are...if the seals are lower, I would assume that replacing them would have no effect? Tx again.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 04:41 PM   #35
B21
Lieutenant
Rep

Body in white means the basic shell of the car..in this case the design of this was given to an external agency since the E89 was a niche product..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 07:36 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Body in white means the basic shell of the car..in this case the design of this was given to an external agency since the E89 was a niche product..
I'm really slow, does just that mean all the external body panels of the car? Why is this significant vs having it done in-house, not sure what Robb was getting at? Tx.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:11 AM   #37
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Body in white means the basic shell of the car.

Quote:
...not sure what Robb was getting at? Tx.
Side info, because you are constantly bashing BMW.

All the problems with your old car could have been avoided if the owner had taken care of them in time. Every detail has two points of view.

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 03-03-2024 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:57 AM   #38
B21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm really slow, does just that mean all the external body panels of the car? Why is this significant vs having it done in-house, not sure what Robb was getting at? Tx.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_in_white
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 05:55 AM   #39
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Side info, because you are constantly bashing BMW.

All the problems with your old car could have been avoided if the owner had taken care of them in time. Every detail has two points of view.
BMW is still responsible in the end, no? Subcontracting doesn't absolve the hirer of liability. Anyway, I don't think I neglected anything to deserve this leak due to a design flaw. The bashing is well deserved.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 06:08 AM   #40
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep

Ok, you win and I'll keep calm now.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:00 AM   #41
dhlairbusb4@cs.com
Rep
Drives: bmw z4

I have been watching your posts, and keeping an eye on my trunk too!
Have you tried to dry it out completely, besides rags, also a shop vac works well.
Then, get out a garden hose and really soak it good... focusing on the trunk, then start looking for the ingress point. There are so many electrical components located in that area, you need to figure out the source. Once you have it nailed down, hopefully its a quick fix... then you can get out and enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 02:46 PM   #42
B21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW is still responsible in the end, no? Subcontracting doesn't absolve the hirer of liability. Anyway, I don't think I neglected anything to deserve this leak due to a design flaw. The bashing is well deserved.
Not acting as a mediator but looking at it from a design that is now nearly 20 years old..

As cars age the weaknesses / flaws steadily emerge..especially with use and time..

Every design has its issues..some are common to the manufacturer eg injectors gaskets, plastics cracking…somethings are type specific….eg adaptive dampers, roof system

The issue facing a non technically competent / able person is how to handle this..I use a network of Indy’s plus now with a decent garage and time quite a few jobs myself..

It is what it is..the problem is folks just don’t know , how can they know what could unfold..

It’s not helpful but it’s just an observation..FWIW

Personally I anticipate some problems with preemptive work, I have some spares ready to go.eg cam cover, spare injector, HPFP, switches and sensors for the roof..other things I take as they happen..eg my CIC just died..scrambling now to fix it..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 05:31 PM   #43
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not acting as a mediator but looking at it from a design that is now nearly 20 years old..

As cars age the weaknesses / flaws steadily emerge..especially with use and time..

Every design has its issues..some are common to the manufacturer eg injectors gaskets, plastics cracking…somethings are type specific….eg adaptive dampers, roof system

The issue facing a non technically competent / able person is how to handle this..I use a network of Indy’s plus now with a decent garage and time quite a few jobs myself..

It is what it is..the problem is folks just don’t know , how can they know what could unfold..

It’s not helpful but it’s just an observation..FWIW

Personally I anticipate some problems with preemptive work, I have some spares ready to go.eg cam cover, spare injector, HPFP, switches and sensors for the roof..other things I take as they happen..eg my CIC just died..scrambling now to fix it..
Tx. I don't claim to be a gearhead, but if I can try to do something, I would. Even changing the rear led is a bit of a pita as you probably know but I was able to do that. However, whole roof mech is just insane and I doubt even any reg indy can tackle it so I would have work done at the dealer.

The engine is great, but the surrounding parts like the HPFP, LPFP, OFH, injectors, etc are not so good. The hydraulic pump is no stilts, so presumably they even anticipated water getting it, which is just crazy and just not a good design. I don't see how difficult it is to have a proper flow of water to keep separate from the electronics. Anyway...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:39 PM   #44
dhlairbusb4@cs.com
Rep
Drives: bmw z4

I decided to accomplish some of the things posted here... Preventative Maintenance goes a long way.
I replaced the salmon-colored fuses in the trunk, which can go bad. After my Carly arrived, it told me my battery was in bad shape... even though it would crank the car with no problem. Battery replaced, Carly registered it, and now I feel better for all the little electrons running around within the zed4.
I also placed a plastic bag around the CT hyd motor, so if water does get inside the trunk, the motor will stay dry. I looked for any previous stains, rust, etc... all looked good.
We inherit the risk when we purchase these cars, and we all know... every car has its problems, but cruising down the highway with the top down... kind of makes it worth while.
Appreciate 1
RobbiZ4123.50