New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #111
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I've been considering learning this lately, but it's so much work lol

https://youtube.com/shorts/CHzXqB9p3No?feature=share
Crush & Sweet Tea were where I capped it for Polyphia. Tried Aviator but didn’t have the patience for that solo at the end lol.

Now they’re just on another plane of existence - although Ego Death w/ Vai slaps
///MPhatic13855.50
      12-05-2022, 08:33 PM   #112
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I haven't touched my guitars very much at all the last 18 months which is a shame since I have some really cool ones.

Is Ultimate-Guitar better than Songsterr? When I used to play a lot more years ago Ultimate-Guitar was pretty decent. But it seemed as time went buy more and more stuff went behind the paywall.

Songsterr you can still see the tabs and play along, but the subscription gets you stuff like being able to slow down the speed, change the pitch so you don't have to retune, etc.

But I have one in E standard, one in Eb, one in D standard. Then an 8 string in F# standard. Also have one my dad's bass guitars, but I don't like it as much as his old P-bass or Jazz bass.
Like tranquility , I have never heard of songsterr. It will be on tomorrow's list of things to do! The way I see it, and since I am no EVH, every little bit helps! Thanks for making me aware!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 09:15 PM   #113
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Hmm, I took a quick look at Songsterr....the song selections don't seem to be anywhere as vast as UG and the play-along is quite Mickey Mouse and not really useful imho. I don't pay for anything online, to me, just getting the complete tab is good enough and you can figure it out yourself or find something on YT to help out on the difficult stuff. JM2C.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8809.00
      12-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #114
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Hmm, I took a quick look at Songsterr....the song selections don't seem to be anywhere as vast as UG and the play-along is quite Mickey Mouse and not really useful imho. I don't pay for anything online, to me, just getting the complete tab is good enough and you can figure it out yourself or find something on YT to help out on the difficult stuff. JM2C.
I've only run across one song that I couldn't find. But I can't find it anywhere.

But I'm also not some hair flipping emo kid who likes to talk about "how you've never heard of them" either.

I've never been able to pick stuff out by ear. I grew up playing drums from diapers until I graduated high school. Guitar was just something fun to screw around with when we weren't practicing as I got older.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #115
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've only run across one song that I couldn't find. But I can't find it anywhere.

But I'm also not some hair flipping emo kid who likes to talk about "how you've never heard of them" either.

I've never been able to pick stuff out by ear. I grew up playing drums from diapers until I graduated high school. Guitar was just something fun to screw around with when we weren't practicing as I got older.
Hey, if you like that site, go for it. I've given my impressions. Like I said, depends on what you wanna do w your guitar. Personally, I think that UG is much better for my purposes, i.e. find a reasonably accurate tab for free that I can then play by myself.

Not sure about the emo ref, the song database on UG is HUUUUGE, from extremely pop stuff to even some obscure songs, I daresay it's probably one of if not the most extensive for guitarists. To repeat, I never heard of Songsterr until you mentioned it.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 02:56 PM   #116
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
I've given my impressions.
Yet, you're giving them again.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #117
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yet, you're giving them again.
What, you're not liking my anecdotes? Did you start that site??? You're getting way too touchy about this lmao.

No, I said that I've already given my impressions but since you feel that that site is so large, I had to elaborate and say that UG is freaking huge: according to their respective claims, UG has over 1.1M and Songsterr 800K, but, like I said, I just did a simple search for a band on Songsterr....and only found 3 songs, vs 2 full pgs on UG.

Whatevs, dude, you can take my advice or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #118
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
What, you're not liking my anecdotes? Did you start that site??? You're getting way too touchy about this lmao.

No, I said that I've already given my impressions but since you feel that that site is so large, I had to elaborate and say that UG is freaking huge: according to their respective claims, UG has over 1.1M and Songsterr 800K, but, like I said, I just did a simple search for a band on Songsterr....and only found 3 songs, vs 2 full pgs on UG.

You're the one getting touchy, this is your 2nd "take it or leave it" post. You even took the time to search the number of songs available and everything.

That's why I put the smiley face on the end to let you know I was just giving you a hard time.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #119
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You're the one getting touchy, this is your 2nd "take it or leave it" post. You even took the time to search the number of songs available and everything.

That's why I put the smiley face on the end to let you know I was just giving you a hard time.
Talk about projection, the folks can judge for themselves; that's the tone I got from your initial response to my post. Like I said, I gave my 2c but you're the one getting passive-aggressive w the 'emo kid' nonsense. Also, I'm not the only one who never heard of that site either. Anyway, if I thought that site was better, I'd tell you, I don't have 'stock' in either site.

Have fun w Songsterr.

EDIT: why bother asking for opinions if you're gonna get all offended and passive-aggro about it? LOL. "Take it or leave" where did you infer that?? lmao, I cannot stress enough, I don't care, you do whatever you want. I already said imho/jm2c in my first post, it's NOT gospel, just my honest experience. Jezuz smh.

Last edited by tranquility; 12-06-2022 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #120
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Talk about projection, the folks can judge for themselves; that's the tone I got from your initial response to my post. Like I said, I gave my 2c but you're the one getting passive-aggressive w the 'emo kid' nonsense. Also, I'm not the only one who never heard of that site either. Anyway, if I thought that site was better, I'd tell you, I don't have 'stock' in either site.

Have fun w Songsterr.

EDIT: why bother asking for opinions if you're gonna get all offended and passive-aggro about it? LOL. "Take it or leave" where did you infer that?? lmao, I cannot stress enough, I don't care, you do whatever you want. I already said imho/jm2c in my first post, it's NOT gospel, just my honest experience. Jezuz smh.
I literally told you I was just joking around. Twice I put the smiley face to let you know I was just joking around.

Quote:
"Take it or leave" where did you infer that??
I don't know, how would I infer that?

Quote:
Oh that's how.

I told you I was joking and you're so wound up you don't even remember what you just said. Didn't mean to upset you.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 06:50 PM   #121
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

I'm thinking of getting another amp. Don't tell my wife...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 07:34 PM   #122
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
What are you thinking of getting? I've had one of the Mustang III Modeling amps for a while, but it kept screwing up saved settings. So I purchased one of those little Spark amps, pretty decent for the price, but still doesn't really do it for me.

At this point, I'm thinking of just getting a little small Orange amp and a few pedals.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 07:54 PM   #123
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
I'm always thinking about getting another amp or amps

What are you thinking about getting?
      12-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #124
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I literally told you I was just joking around. Twice I put the smiley face to let you know I was just joking around.

I don't know, how would I infer that?

Oh that's how.

I told you I was joking and you're so wound up you don't even remember what you just said. Didn't mean to upset you.
Ya, your multi-quoting shows you're "joking around". Naw, not w your first reply. You're just awful at expressing yourself esp w that "emo kid" comment, didn't really make any sense. That " " didn't make any sense either other than to show PA.

I'm not "upset", just perplexed you seem offended at my opinion re that site. That's what I get for trying to help you out. Maybe next time just go w your chosen site and not bother asking for help if you're gonna get rattled for whatever strange reason.

Again, as for the "take it or leave it", I couldn't care less, truly. You're dead to me. ----->
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 08:56 PM   #125
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ya, your multi-quoting shows you're "joking around". Naw, not w your first reply. You're just awful at expressing yourself esp w that "emo kid" comment, didn't really make any sense. That " " didn't make any sense either other than to show PA.

I'm not "upset", just perplexed you seem offended at my opinion re that site. That's what I get for trying to help you out. Maybe next time just go w your chosen site and not bother asking for help if you're gonna get rattled for whatever strange reason.

Again, as for the "take it or leave it", I couldn't care less, truly. You're dead to me. ----->
I wasn't offended at all. I'm curious to try to since it's been so long, I need to clear my cache and try again. They want $99/yr, but if you get that point and go to leave, they offer it you for $49/yr.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 09:06 PM   #126
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't offended at all. I'm curious to try to since it's been so long, I need to clear my cache and try again. They want $99/yr, but if you get that point and go to leave, they offer it you for $49/yr.
I dunno, I would suggest trying out all the free options first. YT videos are pretty useful for stuff you wanna learn.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 09:09 PM   #127
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What are you thinking of getting? I've had one of the Mustang III Modeling amps for a while, but it kept screwing up saved settings. So I purchased one of those little Spark amps, pretty decent for the price, but still doesn't really do it for me.

At this point, I'm thinking of just getting a little small Orange amp and a few pedals.
I'm not sure yet... I have looked at everything from a 5150 down to a little Orange like you. My Rivera works great for my acoustics, but not sure I like it for electric. Taking my time, trying to make the right decision for long term. I want something I can grow in to, just not sure what that is yet...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 09:12 PM   #128
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I'm always thinking about getting another amp or amps

What are you thinking about getting?
See my above response to Okie. I am in the seed planted stage. Have any rec's? I want something that has a nice tone, plenty of gizmos such as looping, etc... Probably not tubes, but digital. What say you?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 09:32 PM   #129
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
I dunno, I would suggest trying out all the free options first. YT videos are pretty useful for stuff you wanna learn.
I've definitely found some good tutorials there.

Quote:
I'm not sure yet... I have looked at everything from a 5150 down to a little Orange like you. My Rivera works great for my acoustics, but not sure I like it for electric. Taking my time, trying to make the right decision for long term. I want something I can grow in to, just not sure what that is yet...
I know what you mean. I don't really need anything. But I've found when I enjoy the guitars I'm playing or the setup I'm playing through I enjoy it a lot more and actually spend more time doing it.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8809.00
      12-06-2022, 10:26 PM   #130
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
See my above response to Okie. I am in the seed planted stage. Have any rec's? I want something that has a nice tone, plenty of gizmos such as looping, etc... Probably not tubes, but digital. What say you?
Get both. Half joking, but only half. I'm one of those people who really think tubes sound better. I can even appreciate how much better my tube amps sound after they get really warmed up. However, there is so much more to be done with a modeling amp. I had a Vox Valvetronic once and it was a nice compromise b/c it had a tube (really 'a' tube) that gave it some of that tube crunch.

My current modeling amp is a Fender Mustang II. Plenty loud, good effects and you can upload different amps, although I haven't done that for a while. My tube amps are a Vox and a Fender (both 2 x 12" combos - I like loud) since they have such different tone qualities.

I won't start up a tube amp unless I'm going to play for a bit of time b/c they sound better warmed up and 'short runs' shortens tube life.

Maybe think about a tube amp with a master volume switch so you can get some distortion/crunch without rattling windows. Then get some pedals for effects. That would be the best of all worlds but maybe more than you want to dive into.
      12-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #131
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I know what you mean. I don't really need anything. But I've found when I enjoy the guitars I'm playing or the setup I'm playing through I enjoy it a lot more and actually spend more time doing it.
I know what you mean. If it doesn't sound good and you don't like it, what's the point? There would be no need to continue, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 10:47 PM   #132
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Get both. Half joking, but only half. I'm one of those people who really think tubes sound better. I can even appreciate how much better my tube amps sound after they get really warmed up. However, there is so much more to be done with a modeling amp. I had a Vox Valvetronic once and it was a nice compromise b/c it had a tube (really 'a' tube) that gave it some of that tube crunch.

My current modeling amp is a Fender Mustang II. Plenty loud, good effects and you can upload different amps, although I haven't done that for a while. My tube amps are a Vox and a Fender (both 2 x 12" combos - I like loud) since they have such different tone qualities.

I won't start up a tube amp unless I'm going to play for a bit of time b/c they sound better warmed up and 'short runs' shortens tube life.

Maybe think about a tube amp with a master volume switch so you can get some distortion/crunch without rattling windows. Then get some pedals for effects. That would be the best of all worlds but maybe more than you want to dive into.
I really like the warmth of the tubes. I really do. There is absolutely nothing better than the old school sound they bring. I played my electric for about 2 hours this afternoon, and just love when the amp heats up. Nothing can compare. At least for what I have used, which is one amp in my life....... When I bought the Rivera, that was the reason, to play both what sounded good with my acoustics, and have a crossover that would sound great with a future electric. It's just so warm. That said, what else is out there that may bring more? I like the idea of a little crunch without rattling the windows. Comparing to audio equipment, it's that full sound that I am looking for, and WITH an ability to sound good at lower volumes. Make sense?
Appreciate 0