New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #221
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Just got my unit delivered. There is very little in the way of installation instruction. Well I guess it is time to read this thread again from soup to nuts to ensure I dont miss anything.

is there a way to use the E89's GPS antenna instead of the one provided? In my Wrangler I purchased a small adapter that allowed me to use the oem antenna, has anyone tried that?

Last edited by ricanbandit; 08-20-2019 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #222
PaulVerkleij
the dutchman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2010 2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Just got my unit delivered. There is very little in the way of installation instruction. Well I guess it is time to read this thread again from soup to nuts to ensure I dont miss anything.

is there a way to use the E89's GPS antenna instead of the one provided? In my Wrangler I purchased a small adapter that allowed me to use the oem antenna, has anyone tried that?
Should work. I replaced the OEM with a non-OEM one and that worked without problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #223
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:

Installation video here...

NB** For left-hand driver Z4's you need to remove an additional screw in the key receptacle overwise you'll damage it.

To use your existing GPS antenna you can use an adaptor, like this FAKRA to SMA....
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #224
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Installation video here...

NB** For left-hand driver Z4's you need to remove an additional screw in the key receptacle overwise you'll damage it.

To use your existing GPS antenna you can use an adaptor, like this FAKRA to SMA....
Thank You! Will be getting this done next weekend! This weekend he gets new wheels and Pilot Sport 4S and a Remus Sport Exhaust as well. So many mods, so little time
      08-23-2019, 12:16 AM   #225
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 3.0i 2011

Anyone experienced audio issue with the new unit? I've recently bought an wireless carplay unit that i've connected via USB, since then, the unit decided the audio is not necesarry anymore and stopped working. Any ideeas? (I'll probably start by removing the carplay unit, if that doesn't work - factory reset)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:56 AM   #226
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLolzeye View Post
Anyone experienced audio issue with the new unit? I've recently bought an wireless carplay unit that i've connected via USB, since then, the unit decided the audio is not necesarry anymore and stopped working. Any ideeas? (I'll probably start by removing the carplay unit, if that doesn't work - factory reset)
The correct route to any created fault is to remove the last thing you installed and check from there.
So in this case, remove the Carplay unit.
Question; do you have a Bluetooth connection to the unit at the same time as the carplay? I ask because this affects mine if I have my phone connected through Android Auto and Bluetooth as it seems to not like running both together.... Just a thought!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:00 AM   #227
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank You! Will be getting this done next weekend! This weekend he gets new wheels and Pilot Sport 4S and a Remus Sport Exhaust as well. So many mods, so little time
Have a check here..... https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1148144

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #228
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dave! Can't wait for the weekend to get here (next weekend that is)
      08-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #229
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 3.0i 2011

Quote:
The correct route to any created fault is to remove the last thing you installed and check from there.
So in this case, remove the Carplay unit.
Question; do you have a Bluetooth connection to the unit at the same time as the carplay? I ask because this affects mine if I have my phone connected through Android Auto and Bluetooth as it seems to not like running both together.... Just a thought!
Removed it & worked after.
Yep, I have a bluetooth connection to the unit at the same time as the carplay, i'll check tomorrow to see if it works fine if I disconnect the connection to the main screen.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #230
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Ok starting installation now. Wish me luck

Last edited by ricanbandit; 08-31-2019 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #231
Dake
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

A couple of questions:

@DavesZed
Did you have any chance to compare the knock-off iDrive controller vs. the real thing? I presume the OEM part will feel higher quality operating but it's not particularly great either, so I'm curious how they compare?
The new wrap looks great compared to the black paint by the way

@Zed4USA
Do you have any issues with the autoconnect on wireless Carplay with the dongle you linked earlier? https://m.aliexpress.com/item/330191...g1564643398174

@airwalk776:
How does the system compare to the original? I presume the OEM does not have dynamic/live traffic info like Google/Apple will suppply.

Great thread and a big thanks to all you guys for contributing. It's actually been the deciding factor for me to pull the trigger on getting a Z4.
I've been unable to find the right combo with the OEM navigation but now I felt comfortable getting one without.
I'm getting a a 30i manual transmission in Melbourne Red. It's been so hard to find that I bought an E93 4 years ago as a stop-gap for open top motoring. I placed the order now and are going to pick it up my (almost) dream Z4 a couple of weeks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #232
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
A couple of questions:

@DavesZed
Did you have any chance to compare the knock-off iDrive controller vs. the real thing? I presume the OEM part will feel higher quality operating but it's not particularly great either, so I'm curious how they compare?
The new wrap looks great compared to the black paint by the way

Well I've used the OEM iDrive controller and the new "knock-off".
Yes as you say the OEM one does feel far better due to it's quality. I personally haven't had any problem with the new one. I've had it in now since March this year and it's working fine. But I'll be 100% honest with you I am aware of one (from my UK Group Buy) that has gone faulty.

If I was to be in the market for something like this and I already had the full iDrive system then I wouldn't go for this replacement screen! Yes I appreciate that this is a higher res screen with touch and you wouldn't have that with the OEM one but for all that I use it for I could have with a add-on box that replicates the Apple Carplay/Android Auto input, as well as rear camera etc. I appreciate when some say that they'd prefer to keep the fold-ability of the OEM screen. But for a non-iDrive car then this is a very nice addition especially with the iDrive controller.

As for the future I'm about at my 6 month period with it now so I will be making a 6 month review video. Yes I did actually video a 3 month review but the very next day I found out about the ID7 update for it so scrapped my review awaiting the update and to see how that altered anything. So I'll be reviewing the new ID7 UI as well as my findings over the last 6 months and a few tips and tricks I've found with it.
I'll be filming this just as soon as I can once I'm not retrofitting Cruise Control for customers (anyone from the UK that fancies this just send me a PM)

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #233
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Well got it all installed. This shit is not for the faint of heart

So far so great! Loving it!!! Thanks to DavesZed for the priceless step by step how to!

Last edited by ricanbandit; 09-02-2019 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #234
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well got it all installed. This shit is not for the faint of heart
Ooooo my big fingers!!

Quote:

So far so great! Loving it!!! Thanks to DavesZed for the priceless step by step how to!
Oooo not seen these views before, I'm assuming they are Android 9 related and you've not installed a launcher on it?

Glad you've found my video useful

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #235
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ooooo my big fingers!!

Oooo not seen these views before, I'm assuming they are Android 9 related and you've not installed a launcher on it?

Glad you've found my video useful
No this is a launcher named carwebguru, have been using it on my Wrangler and it's android head Unit.
      09-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #236
Dake
Rep

Quote:
Well I've used the OEM iDrive controller and the new "knock-off".
Yes as you say the OEM one does feel far better due to it's quality. I personally haven't had any problem with the new one. I've had it in now since March this year and it's working fine. But I'll be 100% honest with you I am aware of one (from my UK Group Buy) that has gone faulty.
Cheers. Not really worried about reliability but will get the OEM one for better feel.

There's no coding required for the android radio right ?
Still undecided between that and iDrive but may start off the the Android untill the warranty expires. The iDrive requires some extensive surgery that may affect the warranty. (I won't be picking the car up until next month so haven't read or inquired about the fine print)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #237
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers. Not really worried about reliability but will get the OEM one for better feel.

There's no coding required for the android radio right ?
Still undecided between that and iDrive but may start off the the Android untill the warranty expires. The iDrive requires some extensive surgery that may affect the warranty. (I won't be picking the car up until next month so haven't read or inquired about the fine print)
You cannot fit an OEM iDrive controller to the Android screen unless you already have the full iDrive set up. So if you only have the radio and want an iDrive controller you'll have to order it with the Android screen.

As for retrofitting the full OEM iDrive system you are looking in the region of $2500 give or take.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #238
Dake
Rep

Quote:
You cannot fit an OEM iDrive controller to the Android screen unless you already have the full iDrive set up. So if you only have the radio and want an iDrive controller you'll have to order it with the Android screen.

As for retrofitting the full OEM iDrive system you are looking in the region of $2500 give or take.
Guess I better hold off ordering that one then. The car does Indeed have the regular radio.

2.500$ seems very reasonable for iDrive however. Are you thinking of these Guys or are there other better suppliers at this Price point ?
http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...&product_id=56

I've been told you can't just fit a second hand unit and code it so I'm expecting more like 6-7.000$ for (mostly) new parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #239
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Guess I better hold off ordering that one then. The car does Indeed have the regular radio.

2.500$ seems very reasonable for iDrive however. Are you thinking of these Guys or are there other better suppliers at this Price point ?
http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...&product_id=56

I've been told you can't just fit a second hand unit and code it so I'm expecting more like 6-7.000$ for (mostly) new parts.
Yes that's exactly who I was thinking of, don't forget to add in the activation costs!! And I doubt you are receiving brand new items for that price!
And who told you that you can't code a used unit, of course you can.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #240
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

What are you guys using for an external mike. The hifimax one I purchased did not come with one. The Android unit I have on my jeep has built in mic, so i figured it would be the same with this one. That doesnt seem to be the case, thoughts
      09-19-2019, 03:03 AM   #241
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What are you guys using for an external mike. The hifimax one I purchased did not come with one. The Android unit I have on my jeep has built in mic, so i figured it would be the same with this one. That doesnt seem to be the case, thoughts
Yes it has a built in mic, it's the small hole on the left side, should pick your voice up without an issue, it does on mine and it's the wrong side for me.
You may have to check your settings, there is one for mic sensitivity that should help.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #242
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I took this shot a couple of nights ago. It's the new UI dashboard, I think I need to turn the brightness down a little, although only the camera shows it like this as it didn't look too bad to my eye at the time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1