New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
ivman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Z4 28i & 08 Toyota 4Runner

Catless downpipes and NY State Inspection

I posted this on my local Z4 facebook group but no one had a decisive answer. I would like to know if anyone in NY state has installed catless downpipes on a Z4 with the N20 engine, and have been able to pass the NY state inspection process. One person said it could be done on a n54/n55 with a MHD stage 2 tune. I would love to make this mod, but having to back it out annually for our inspection just isn't worth it. If I could combine it with the right tune(s), that would be ideal. Has anyone out there done this?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:44 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

You could buy downpipe with race or sport cats aswell.. With that there shouldnt be any inspection issues.. They are available for n54 so maybe for n20 aswell..

Why people go catless downpipes is because they are cheap.. and maybe you get a few extra hp compared to race/highflow cat downpipes...
But its mainly the cost. 200 for catless vs 500 or more for hiflow cats...
Also have read on forums that highflow cats dont last that long... not sure about that though.
      04-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
ivman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Z4 28i & 08 Toyota 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
You could buy downpipe with race or sport cats aswell.. With that there shouldnt be any inspection issues.. They are available for n54 so maybe for n20 aswell..

Why people go catless downpipes is because they are cheap.. and maybe you get a few extra hp compared to race/highflow cat downpipes...
But its mainly the cost. 200 for catless vs 500 or more for hiflow cats...
Also have read on forums that highflow cats dont last that long... not sure about that though.
Thank you for the info KennyP. It was very helpful!
Appreciate 0