New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #67
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
For any one else interested I went with the following:
- E9X M3 OEM upper/ lower control arms package from Turner
- KW V3 w/ EDC
- Turner E46 rear adjustable camber arms, rod end style .
- Rear control arm upper inner bushings, group N- hard rubber
- Rogue Engineering Front tension arm bushing
So following your lead I am doing the following:

- E9x upper/lower with monoball: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ding-m-models/ -- By doing this I wouldn't need to do this, yeah? Tension arm bushing
- Turner e46 rear: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ttrack/?pdk=Aw
- E89 rear lower (thanks Vetracr!): https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/spf3806k

Questions:
- I am unsure on which one these are "Rear control arm upper inner bushings, group N- hard rubber" can you post a link?

- Am I missing something? I think this includes redoing all the front and rear components. I am still deciding on which suspension (coilovers) to go with.

- This thread has been ongoing for quite a while, before I pull the trigger, does anyone have long term follow-ups? "if I had to do it again i wouldn't have..." or "if I had to do it again i would have..."
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #68
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiicytuna View Post
So following your lead I am doing the following:

- E9x upper/lower with monoball: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ding-m-models/ -- By doing this I wouldn't need to do this, yeah? Tension arm bushing
- Turner e46 rear: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ttrack/?pdk=Aw
- E89 rear lower (thanks Vetracr!): https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/spf3806k

Questions:
- I am unsure on which one these are "Rear control arm upper inner bushings, group N- hard rubber" can you post a link?

- Am I missing something? I think this includes redoing all the front and rear components. I am still deciding on which suspension (coilovers) to go with.

- This thread has been ongoing for quite a while, before I pull the trigger, does anyone have long term follow-ups? "if I had to do it again i wouldn't have..." or "if I had to do it again i would have..."
For that "Rear control arm upper bushing, group N" you can get that from turner. I would recommend emailing them and saying "hey im doing a huge suspension upgrade, can you give me a deal if I one stop shop with you, here are the parts I need" and they give you a few options on coil overs and pricing. I got a bit of a discount when I asked.

On a side note, join the e89 members group on FB. They are planning a group buy for Ohlins coilovers now. I think it's $2600 now but should be less on the group buy.

My long term review. Suspension is still one of my favorite performance mods. It's much more enjoyable to drive now. Oh, don't forget the Luxon strut bar. That really brings the whole front end together.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #69
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For that "Rear control arm upper bushing, group N" you can get that from turner.
It says no longer available: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...ger-available/

I wonder how hardcore these would be?? https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ll-e36e46x3z4/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #70
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

You might look at what AKG Motorsport has. I am running their spherical bearing for the front tension strut and am very pleased.

Here's their rear E46 stuff:
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...uspension-e46/

Filippo
      06-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #71
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
On a side note, join the e89 members group on FB. They are planning a group buy for Ohlins coilovers now. I think it's $2600 now but should be less on the group buy.
Anyone have a link to this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #72
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiicytuna View Post
Anyone have a link to this? Thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5163...7194065822434/

Note you can buy these in the USA for $2-2,300k shipped.

Filippo
      01-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #73
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I finally got around to installing the M3 front tension struts and wishbones on my car as well. Initial impressions are great. I did not expect these two parts alone would make such a big difference to the steering feel and directness.

Im on Koni dampers and otherwise stock non-M sport.
Appreciate 1
jts1981209.50
      01-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #74
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I finally got around to installing the M3 front tension struts and wishbones on my car as well. Initial impressions are great. I did not expect these two parts alone would make such a big difference to the steering feel and directness.

Im on Koni dampers and otherwise stock non-M sport.
Welcome to the club! Glad to hear you are having a positive reaction. I recommend adding the strut bar as well. It really tightens the front end up!
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 1
Asbjorn89.00
      01-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #75
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

I upgraded front suspension to M3 Control arms and Strut bars along with Koni FSD shocks and H&R sway bars. After a few track sessions and autox's I bought the Turner strut bars with bearings in lieu of rubber bushings. M3 strut bar is still has too much deflection if you drive hard. Tires were feathering indicating alignment shift under load. Will install soon and report back on improvement.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vetracr; 01-16-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #76
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Curious if you considered the Luxon strut bar. Steel and no joints to deflect. I'm unaware of anyone doing deflection testing, but on visual examination it seems to be a stiffer design. http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247510. Under $200 shipped via eBay.

One other thing - we found binding issues with the stock rear end links and H&R bars. We went with a rod end link setup which greatly improved the rear end's behavior (which was twitchy prior). Anyway I should have the rod end part numbers so you can roll your own if you are interested. Just need to pull the info together and get it posted.

Thanks for posting ... let us know how it goes!

Filippo
      01-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #77
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
Curious if you considered the Luxon strut bar. Steel and no joints to deflect. I'm unaware of anyone doing deflection testing, but on visual examination it seems to be a stiffer design. http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247510. Under $200 shipped via eBay.

One other thing - we found binding issues with the stock rear end links and H&R bars. We went with a rod end link setup which greatly improved the rear end's behavior (which was twitchy prior). Anyway I should have the rod end part numbers so you can roll your own if you are interested. Just need to pull the info together and get it posted.

Thanks for posting ... let us know how it goes!

Filippo
I should have noted in my post I have a Turner Strut bar and Ground Control camber plates. At the rear I added M3 RTAB's with shims and M3 lower outer hub bearings in lieu of the stock rubber bushing. I also added a rod end linkage to my H&R rear sway bar. Do a search. I posted details of all the parts in a DIY post. FYI to get the car to really handle you need to add the camber plates to get adequate negative camber. As an aside I'm still running stock springs so car handles great but still rides fine on street.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #78
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracr View Post
I should have noted in my post I have a Turner Strut bar ... [snip] ...
That was the focus of my input - the Turner bar is multi-piece. I also wonder how stiff it is by design ... I was addressing your observation of deflection which I believe you surmised by the tire scrub. I'm wondering if the steel, solid Luxon bar may reduce the deflection?

Filippo
      01-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #79
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
That was the focus of my input - the Turner bar is multi-piece. I also wonder how stiff it is by design ... I was addressing your observation of deflection which I believe you surmised by the tire scrub. I'm wondering if the steel, solid Luxon bar may reduce the deflection?

Filippo
I tested the Turner bar with machinist blue. I placed it on the bar where the bolted joints are located. After a day at the track I noticed no scrub marks on the blueing on the bar indicating no movement. Feathering on the tire edges is caused by toe out, not a camber change caused by the upper strut mounting deflecting. The M3 strut arm bushing rubber deflects too much with sticky tires on the track.
Appreciate 1
Asbjorn89.00
      01-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #80
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracr View Post
I tested the Turner bar with machinist blue. I placed it on the bar where the bolted joints are located. After a day at the track I noticed no scrub marks on the blueing on the bar indicating no movement. Feathering on the tire edges is caused by toe out, not a camber change caused by the upper strut mounting deflecting. The M3 strut arm bushing rubber deflects too much with sticky tires on the track.
Great research! What are your thoughts on a solution? Cheaper tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #81
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Great research! What are your thoughts on a solution? Cheaper tires?
I purchased Turner tension struts with bearings to replace M3 tension struts with rubber bushings to eliminate toe out. It looks like bearings are same as M3 rear lower hub bearings which I installed to replace E89 rear lower hub rubber bushings. As for cheaper tires, best value for money are Firestone 500's. They are rebranded Bridgestone RE003's sold in Asia and Australia with a 340 tread wear rating. They have great grip, wear well and are not noisy on street. Mine took a year of track days and autox's before they heat cycled away. Still have plenty of tread, just no grip anymore.

Last edited by Vetracr; 01-28-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #82
trackjunkie61
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Anybody running into oil starvation issues with the higher g cornering capability? Or oil cooling issues just being able to put down more power reliably?

Looking to make suspension mods but while the car is on the lift should I address other shortcomings?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #83
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackjunkie61 View Post
Anybody running into oil starvation issues with the higher g cornering capability? Or oil cooling issues just being able to put down more power reliably?

Looking to make suspension mods but while the car is on the lift should I address other shortcomings?
I have an N52 and live in Florida where heat is a problem. On track my oil temp was going over 250 degrees. Much higher than I feel comfortable with. I added an oil cooler. I posted a DIY on this site showing installation.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #84
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackjunkie61 View Post

I think what you are referring to is mainly a problem when running sticky tires. Ie semi-slicks or above. I am modifying my oil pan and adding an additional oil cooler this week just to be future proof. You can follow the progress here on spo olstreet.
Appreciate 1
fmorelli160.00
      06-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #85
Furkanyahsi
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Hi Bill! Last week i hit the curb and broke my front right wishbone. Im planning yo buy e9x m3 front control arms and wishbones. I use eibach springs with stock suspension right now. Do i gain more traction with that upgrades instead of using oem parts? Next stage will be e46 m3 rear components but not right now. Have a nice day all!
Appreciate 0