New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-23-2023, 08:08 AM   #1
VinceCaruso
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4

Shock replacement keeps coming up wrong

I have a 2011 Z4 30i with S2VFA equipped with adaptive shocks but every site I plug in my vin # (or the above description) I get front shocks that are not adaptive. Not sure how it comes up wrong using a vin # but it does this on every site I've tried.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:44 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Because there are no aftermarket adaptive shocks... You can only buy them from Bmw or some online shops that sell oem stuff...

i was a bit puzzled on your last comment too, that said you are going bilstein and leave the car adaptive... As far as i know bilstein dont make adaptive replacement shocks?

You have to use partnumbers to search for parts.

35i and 30i have different partnumbers for shocks. And also for non-adaptive shocks on the 30i there are different partnumbers for M-sport suspension or regular .

you can look yourself here:
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E8...may2011/browse
in the top right corner you can enter your vin aswell...

or use realoem to find partnumbers:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
      05-23-2023, 08:51 AM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...792891#fitment

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...z4-37116792892

For adaptive shocks you should need these two... left and right... these are the only adaptive shocks available... noone else makes them. Second option is edc delete and coilover kits..
      05-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #4
VinceCaruso
Rep

Clarification... I saw those $884/ shocks and had to go with Bilstein regular shocks. I am changing the fronts which are bad but not replacing the adaptive rears that are in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 01:02 PM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Let me get this right...
You are going to install regular non adaptive bilstein shocks to the front and leave the rear adaptive shocks as they are?

You have to still code adaptive shocks out then. Because as soon as you unplug front adaptive shocks wiring you will have error messages and lights on the dash about stuff wrong with EDC every time you drive the car. idrive will have messages and in the gauge cluster too.
Or you could get a EDC delete modules to plug in where front shocks used to plug in. But even then those modules arent 100% reliably fooling the ecus and may not keep the errors off. And they are about 300 usd online. You can buy a set of them separately from coilover kits. But i would in this case just code it out.
      05-23-2023, 01:11 PM   #6
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Really bad idea mixing non adaptive and adaptive shocks…imho ..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 01:14 PM   #7
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Really bad idea mixing non adaptive and adaptive shocks…imho ..
agree..
      05-24-2023, 09:20 PM   #8
spitfun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M E89

I bought the chinese adaptives off of Ebay,I am happy with them so far...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 12:54 AM   #9
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Can you rip the electrics off the shocks and plug in to keep system happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 04:21 AM   #10
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

One thing that is wierd with those chinese shock pairs on ebay:
In bmw catalog 28i and 30i use same partnumber for adaptive shocks... and 35i/35is use totally different partnumber. Probably different characteristics due to different engine weights.

Now on ebay they sell the same model for all z4-s 28i, 30i and 35i(s). So which spec are you getting then? My guess is 35i spec as i think they are more common to hava adaptive suspension. or maybe its something between the two...

Will see how they hold up on spitfun-s car... but im still sceptical on these being an option worth considering.

And finally: dont cheap out. If you cant afford the repair then park the car for a few months and do it then and correctly. These cars are worth that.
I waited for my KW v3 kit to arrive for 2 months. It took me one month to get finances together to go and buy the kit, then had to wait 2 months on top of that for it to arrive. During that time my car sat parked... and this was in may,june, july which was even more fustrating.

With these cars you need to have a small repair fund of 2000-2500 eur/dollars put aside for times when things like this happen.. and they do happen... i have had 3 times at least when my repair bills went up to or over 2k because had multiple failures at the same time... and labour is quite cheap here.
Or be prepared to park the car for a few months. But please dont do some sketchy repairs because you need the car on the road quickly and cant afford to do it properly. Dont treat these cars like beater cars worth 3-4k that you use to get from a to b. This whole thread is actually wack for even considering such repairs..
      05-25-2023, 05:55 AM   #11
B21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
One thing that is wierd with those chinese shock pairs on ebay:
In bmw catalog 28i and 30i use same partnumber for adaptive shocks... and 35i/35is use totally different partnumber. Probably different characteristics due to different engine weights.

Now on ebay they sell the same model for all z4-s 28i, 30i and 35i(s). So which spec are you getting then? My guess is 35i spec as i think they are more common to hava adaptive suspension. or maybe its something between the two...

Will see how they hold up on spitfun-s car... but im still sceptical on these being an option worth considering.

And finally: dont cheap out. If you cant afford the repair then park the car for a few months and do it then and correctly. These cars are worth that.
I waited for my KW v3 kit to arrive for 2 months. It took me one month to get finances together to go and buy the kit, then had to wait 2 months on top of that for it to arrive. During that time my car sat parked... and this was in may,june, july which was even more fustrating.

With these cars you need to have a small repair fund of 2000-2500 eur/dollars put aside for times when things like this happen.. and they do happen... i have had 3 times at least when my repair bills went up to or over 2k because had multiple failures at the same time... and labour is quite cheap here.
Or be prepared to park the car for a few months. But please dont do some sketchy repairs because you need the car on the road quickly and cant afford to do it properly. Dont treat these cars like beater cars worth 3-4k that you use to get from a to b. This whole thread is actually wack for even considering such repairs..
Some suspension providers treat all E89s as one type some others treat them individually….for example Supplex who make springs have versions for cars with and without auto boxes…
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:33 AM   #12
VinceCaruso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Let me get this right...
You are going to install regular non adaptive bilstein shocks to the front and leave the rear adaptive shocks as they are?

You have to still code adaptive shocks out then. Because as soon as you unplug front adaptive shocks wiring you will have error messages and lights on the dash about stuff wrong with EDC every time you drive the car. idrive will have messages and in the gauge cluster too.
Or you could get a EDC delete modules to plug in where front shocks used to plug in. But even then those modules arent 100% reliably fooling the ecus and may not keep the errors off. And they are about 300 usd online. You can buy a set of them separately from coilover kits. But i would in this case just code it out.
I went with the bilsteins and now have the shock error light on dash board... and several questions?

1) Can you use the bimmer code app to fix this?
2) if so, what is the least expensive adapter to buy for the app?
3) if not, how do I code this out?

Last edited by VinceCaruso; 05-28-2023 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 01:22 PM   #13
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceCaruso View Post
I went with the bilsteins and now have the shock error light on dash board... and several questions?

2) if so, what is the least expensive adapter to buy for the app?
3) if not, how do I code this out?

I used INPA/ NCSexpert.. google and you will find places to download it... also a guide to set it up on windows laptop. i think you had to change a port in some settings to get it to work... there are guides out there...

Get a correct obd to usb cable... there are two types if i remember correctly... one works with older bmw-s and another one with e89 z4, e90 3 series etc.
Can find it on ebay etc.. I got mine from ebay.

Read following thread. You will find information there for what to code out:

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404825

And finally i unplugged adaptive shocks harness in the ecu box, taped it over and left it unplugged...

While coding use a battery charger...

Dont know about bimmercode app... never used it. Maybe someone else knows...

Modules you can google but i havent seen them below 300 usd. Search for e89 z4 edc cancellation kit...
      05-28-2023, 03:14 PM   #14
VinceCaruso
Rep

Why does everyone say use a battery charger? Does the code process drain that much from the battery?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #15
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

yes it actually does. If you havent driven the car alot lately... for example when car sat in a workshop for some time or sat waiting for new shocks... then battery isnt really topped up and may be low already before you start coding.
Also if you are coding for the first time or working with INPA, NCSexpert for the first time then it takes time to understand the workings of it. It has its quirks. Not the most intuitive software. For me it took few hours to code edc out and i had used that software once before. You have to have ignition on for the whole time...
And if you are trying to do it by some diy guide or forum thread you switch between forum thread/guide/ video and coding software itself all the time and that takes time aswell... so better just put a charger on and take your time and check the steps you make are correct.
If you hook it up for a few minutes to check codes etc you are probably fine, but if its 30min+ you better hook it up to a charger. You dont want battery to die in the middle of writing to the modules and brick them...
      05-28-2023, 04:57 PM   #16
B21
Lieutenant
Rep

Bimmergeeks Protool is another solution for coding out the adaptive dampers…
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:24 PM   #17
VinceCaruso
Rep

I was going to buy a plug in adapter and use bimmercode app.

I was planning on just coding out the shock warning (because I didn't use adaptive) but also I wanted to get rid of the auto-dimming mirrors... I hate them. And lastly my top stops opening as soon as move at all, so I wanted to fix that... nothing else I can think of.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 05:54 AM   #18
N!co
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceCaruso View Post

Yes. Search for EDC and set these 2 inactive:

EDCK_ALIVE_ZAEHLER
EDCK_ID_MONITOR
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 08:41 AM   #19
VinceCaruso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N!co View Post

EDCK_ALIVE_ZAEHLER
EDCK_ID_MONITOR
For a simple fix like this do I need to put the car on a battery charger?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #20
spitfun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M E89

FYI,they looked every bit the part when I compared the chinese version to oem-but I have only had them on my 35i for about 6 months. Even if they are meant for the 35i and not a 28i, worst case is they may be a bit stiffer to compensate for the added engine weight,no biggie... The sad part is why are the oem shocks so expensive,I have heard of failure after 20k miles on the originals-not very impressive quality if you ask me!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 02:50 PM   #21
VinceCaruso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N!co View Post

EDCK_ALIVE_ZAEHLER
EDCK_ID_MONITOR
I paid the $50 for the full version but it doesn't have half the menus shown in the demo (I'm using a Veepeak OBDcheck BLE adapter if that makes any difference). And none of the menus give access to those codes (as far as I can see)>
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 05:37 PM   #22
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Maybe try contacting Bimmercode support?