New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #1
lamebro1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 2012

Arrow 2012 Z4 sDrive20i with 90k miles for $14k - a good idea?

Hi there guys,

For context, I randomly tried a Z4 the other day and I liked it way more then I thought I would. I am a 22 year old who has been working for around a year and a half. I don't really need the space so practicality is not an issue. I think this car would be driven 3-5 times a week. Not everyday but not a weekend car either. This is my first car, though I have been driving for around 2 and a half years.

My budget to buy a car is around $14k, and my annual budget of maintaining the car is around $2700.

I recently saw a 2012 Z4 sDrive20i that's done 90k miles for $13,600 and it was a blast to drive. I have been looking around at other cars like the BRZ, SLK and Miata (which I know is the smart option but i cant find it anywhere) - so far the Z4 has come out on top.

The owner has replaced / repaired the following: turbo / air intake pipe / top cover plastic part in engine / vaccum pipe / coolant and coolant tank cap / radiator / cleaned injector / changed fluids. He has not done any service to the convertible roof, but it seemed to be in good working condition and not dusty - making only a few little sounds. Overall it seemed like a very clean car that has been well taken care of. He also changes the oil semi regularly (around every 8k KM)

My main concern is that N20 engine. I heard that the timing belt can disintegrate and make the whole engine go bye-bye. I can afford general repairs I think (please correct me if I am wrong), but I do not think I can afford a new engine.

With that being said I do really like the car. Would it be worth it anyways? Should I perhaps try and find a sDrive30i with the V6? Which Z4 is the most reliable in my budget?

Thank you and I appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:06 PM   #2
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Hi. Welcome to enjoying to drive. It’s a lost art.

I’ve owned 5 BMWs. All fun. All expensive to maintain. If you have a tight budget, I recommend to learn basic maintenance. Stuff like fluids, brakes, suspension, battery, belts, etc, aren’t too hard to master. It can save you heaps of cash. And if you have a DIY shop nearby, it’s a great place to make friends.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 09:35 AM   #3
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

If you like the car the best thing is to get the cam chain assembly changed for the later bulletproof version..that’s about 1k usd of cost but puts that one and only issue on the N20 to bed..

Frequent oil changes are a good thing on that engine…
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 02:54 PM   #4
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

You should keep looking. Don't settle for the first one you see or drive.
Appreciate 0