New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-31-2021, 03:09 AM   #1
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Some questions for a track build

Hi.

Im doing my research to find out if I should build a track/weekend car. I used to track a lot a Z4m e86 coupe. (Ig: ariusen)

If I get an e89, is to order the gt3, which is the main reason I really want the car. Best looking bmw ever. However im realizing that to find info about track mods is way harder than e86, and I used to think that was already hard.

Appreciate your answers!

1- I was wondering if the e89 has any weak points that needs to have reinforcement plates?

2- is there a brembo or ap racing bbk front and rear? Couldn't find. If it doesn't, can I fit a bbk from another chassi?

3- can the dct he tuned to work the same as the e92 m3? If not, i need a manual.

4- saw the e89 has fuel starvation problems. Any fix found?

5- what aftermarket coolers are recommended? Saw someone saying CSF was useless.

6- any engine work I should do before tracking? Seems like this engine has a lot of small issues such as injectors and leaks

7- anyone knows if the manual and dct tranny is the same as another chassi? I will most likely want to put a race clutch and flywheel, and I'm pretty sure there won't be one for the e89.

Thank you!
      08-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
Bob20124
Retired and Enjoying it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i Alpine White 6MT

Sent private message. Hope that helps.
2011 35i BMS High & Low side OCC, Custom tune, CDV delete, Eldor coils, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in,40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, NGK plugs, Racing Dynamics strut brace, Stubby, Windrestrictor
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:35 AM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
1- I was wondering if the e89 has any weak points that needs to have reinforcement plates?

2- is there a brembo or ap racing bbk front and rear? Couldn't find. If it doesn't, can I fit a bbk from another chassi?

3- can the dct he tuned to work the same as the e92 m3? If not, i need a manual.

5- what aftermarket coolers are recommended? Saw someone saying CSF was useless.

6- any engine work I should do before tracking? Seems like this engine has a lot of small issues such as injectors and leaks

7- anyone knows if the manual and dct tranny is the same as another chassi? I will most likely want to put a race clutch and flywheel, and I'm pretty sure there won't be one for the e89.
1 Most of the bushings are very soft - basically 3-series stuff - including the subframe mounts. I have installed ciped underbody and strut tower bars as well as made a custom alu engine undercover, but I dont think it is worth the efforts.

2 I use a custom set from PB brakes, but you dont really need upgraded brakes for track use. What you need is racing pads + racing brake fluid + better brake cooling. The pads are most important. Dont use track day pads. Use real full on racing pads.

3 Stock + M mode + DSC off is all you need. I use the GTS tune with some custom shift points and speeds for D and S mode, but M mode stock is just perfect. Doesn't upset the car when shifting, which is what you want for track use.

4 No fix, it happens on right hand corners due to the fuel tank + lpfp layout. Keep the fuel level above 50%. The engine also has oil starvation issues as with any other N54 and N55 (except M2). Oil pressure drops during hard braking and left hand turns. Only known solution is a plaster called an accusump. The stock engine is not suitable for track use at all.

5 There arent any plug and play cooler sets that work. The CSF does very little. You need a dual aux radiator setup, a DCT cooler with pump, a larger area FMIC, and a larger oil cooler. Again, the engine is not suitable for track use. I spent more than one year going through many different cooler setups trying to solve this issue. I can still only do one lap when it gets really hot outside. Exactly the same issue with 1Ms and other N54/N55-based cars with or without upgraded cooling, although the DCT + extra power does make it worse.

6 yeah I would say if I spent 2 years seriously tracking the Z4. The first year was spent solving issues that popped up at the track. Vanos solenoids, camshaft seals, turbos, boost leaks, vacuum leaks, rod bearings, injectors, fuel pumps, coils, I mean anything the N54 is known for. It might not show up on the street put it definitely will on the track. My car only became reliable during the second year of track duty, and only because I simply refused to give up and wanted to show that it was possible. Add cooling and oiling problems together with custom tuning+turbos into the mix and you have a full time hobby in front of you for another year. And then you havent even started dialing in the suspension where you will need custom everything to get the spring rates, dampening, roll resistance, camber and what not to get fast through corners. Finally do know that even the Z4 GT3 race car had some of the worst aerodynamics among all the GT3 cars. Something about the angle of the rear window being too steep. And you will never get rid of the high center of gravity and weight (+1600kg) even if you are able to fit proper tires by running a GT3 body kit. The boxter is a much better starting point if you want to track a convertible - but then again, you wont surprise anyone or look as sexy by going fast in a porsche.

7 manual - donno, dct is same as e92.

Anyhow, I documented my whole journey over on spoo lstreet. I even posted a simple quick guide on how to convert a Z4 into a track car haha.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 09-01-2021 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2021, 06:10 AM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

3. xHP has DCT tunes now available... in 3 stages. It comes with an app where you can configure some stuff aswell.

https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...Custom+Options

Last edited by KennyP; 09-01-2021 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Hi.

Im doing my research to find out if I should build a track/weekend car. I used to track a lot a Z4m e86 coupe. (Ig: ariusen)

If I get an e89, is to order the gt3, which is the main reason I really want the car. Best looking bmw ever. However im realizing that to find info about track mods is way harder than e86, and I used to think that was already hard.
Have you sent a note to any of the teams that ran this platform competitively? Namely Turner among others. I recall they were selling the full blown racecars a few years back as a friend was considering it (mid build on an E86M). Pricey but reasonable once you consider the engineering and capabilities it offers.

We also spotted a few of these cars at the Monterey historic races and BMWCCA Oktoberfest. Spent a lot of time taking pictures down on the ground etc. and poking around the cars for design tips. Pit crew did not care

Last edited by 86Zed; 10-06-2021 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 12:32 AM   #6
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Hi.

Appreciate your answers!

Thank you!
I know I'm late to the party here but I just picked up a Z4M and saw this post... I'm now run an F80 at the track after years running an N54 1M conversion.

Happy to answer any questions you have but I was able to get the car built up to run 25min sessions at Buttonwillow in the summer without heat issues. I know Alex (Berno) was also able to get most of the issues worked out.

Feel free to pm me if you're still considering the move to an N54.

Cheers!