New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-13-2023, 12:57 AM   #1
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

why cars squat when brake boosting/launching?

i admit i have been watching too much youtube but something made me curious

why do cars squat when people try to launch them by holding the brake and pressing the gas pedal?

or maybe i had too much to drink on a Friday ...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 01:40 AM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Suspension geometry, primarily the arrangement of the lower control arm pivot points relative to wheel center and tire contact patch.

Older related concepts to read about include anti-dive and anti-squat suspension geometry. Gillespie’s vehicle dynamics book is one of many references to learn more.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      05-13-2023, 06:42 AM   #3
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

yeah you had too much too drink.
      05-13-2023, 02:40 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I believe original VW Bus actually raised when launched as described above
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 02:44 PM   #5
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
I believe original VW Bus actually raised when launched as described above
so force applied on the static driveline causes suspension to squat?

interestingly i watched a X drive launch and both the front and rear axles squatted, would that also be consistent?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 02:46 PM   #6
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Suspension geometry, primarily the arrangement of the lower control arm pivot points relative to wheel center and tire contact patch.

Older related concepts to read about include anti-dive and anti-squat suspension geometry. Gillespie’s vehicle dynamics book is one of many references to learn more.
ah, i thought those were mountain biking words!

i can understand when the car moves but i can't understand how it happens when the driveline is static.

but thanks
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-13-2023, 03:00 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
ah, i thought those were mountain biking words!

i can understand when the car moves but i can't understand how it happens when the driveline is static.

but thanks
Don't you think the rotating crankshaft generating heat and power at the clutch - even if the transmission is not rotating that the engine is pressing massive amounts of power up against those cinched brakes or computer stalled transmission ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Another way to try and understand how it moves when static... Imagine huge torque to drive shafts strong enough to literally 'twist' each suspension assembly off the car, with brakes powerful enough to resist any slip. What we see is the movement in the suspension assemblies resisting the applied torque against the brakes. It's a case of equal and opposite reaction. Parts/bushes moving/twisting to equal the applied torque.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-14-2023, 08:03 AM   #9
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i can't understand how it happens when the driveline is static.
Halfshaft torque is reacted at the brake caliper/rotor when the vehicle is not moving and torque is being supplied. The caliper force reacts against the knuckle (upright, wheel carrier, vertical link, whichever term you like) and the knuckle torque is reacted by the control arms and links. The resultant forces and torque result in squat.

During a launch after the brakes are released, there is no torque because the wheel bearing by design does not resist torque. The wheel bearing reacts the tractive effort (force) at the contact patch which is delivered to the vehicle via knuckle and suspension links. The opposing reaction from the vehicle center of gravity, which is being accelerated, results in squat.

Read about anti-squat and anti-dive suspension geometry and report back.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 03:15 PM   #10
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Quote:

05-17-2023, 02:02 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The only vehicles that will squat on brake boosting (i.e., torque braking or brake stalling) are planetary automatics with torque converters.

In simple terms, the torque converter, essentially two fans facing one another with fluid as the transfer media, has a stall speed (typically 1,400-2,000rpms) in most street cars. This stall speed allows you to apply the brakes and throttle to load up the torque converter usually just below it's stall speed. This loading effect twists the motor in it's mounts because the drivetrain is trying to turn the tires which are being held back by the brakes. Since the tires aren't moving and the drivetrain is loaded up, it starts pushing against other components in the suspension which obviously move and have some flexibility (i.e., bushings). Due to this, the rear suspension typically starts to squat down as this loading effect happens. Much like accelerating hard from a stop (ass end squats down).

The awesome thing about turbos is that brake stalling creates some boost because turbos are load dependent devices. This effect adds additonal torque for the launch hence a harder launch assuming the tires can handle it. Manual and DCT cars can't brake stall thus cannot generate boost on launch unless they're employing some aftermarket tuning wizardy like anti-lag or a two-step which are downright hell on a turbo's longevity.

The best way to launch an automatic with a street-based torque converter is to flash stall rather than sit there for a long duration of time, like multiple seconds. Stalling a torque converter creates a ton of heat and really isn't good for the transmission longevity. A flash stall is were you go hard on the brakes by pressing down relatively hard, then lifting up slightly on the pedal and then pressing down hard. You should feel the brake pedal get very firm and hard. Now the brakes have maximum bite. Then put your foot lightly on the throttle and get the rpms to around 1,000rpms. Right before it's time to go, stab the throttle about 50% while keeping your foot hard on the brake and release the brake pedal in about one second. This will flash stall the torque converter and help the tires plant and not go up in smoke. With turbo car, you may need to flash stall more like 2 seconds to get the turbo boosting up a bit.
      05-18-2023, 05:59 AM   #12
Bruuuce
the me
Rep
Drives: 01ZCoupe, 08M3Coupe, 21M2C

from my 4 wheeling friends
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 06:03 AM   #13
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Weight transfer from kinetic energy?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 11:16 AM   #14
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Weight transfer from kinetic energy?
After the brakes have been released, acceleration (change in kinetic energy) of the center of gravity causes weight transfer to the rear axle. I am guessing you are thinking about the right principal but strictly speaking kinetic energy does not result in weight transfer.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 02:24 PM   #15
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
After the brakes have been released, acceleration (change in kinetic energy) of the center of gravity causes weight transfer to the rear axle. I am guessing you are thinking about the right principal but strictly speaking kinetic energy does not result in weight transfer.
I must have slept at the wrong Holiday Inn Express.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-21-2023, 07:58 PM   #16
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The only vehicles that will squat on brake boosting (i.e., torque braking or brake stalling) are planetary automatics with torque converters.

In simple terms, the torque converter, essentially two fans facing one another with fluid as the transfer media, has a stall speed (typically 1,400-2,000rpms) in most street cars. This stall speed allows you to apply the brakes and throttle to load up the torque converter usually just below it's stall speed. This loading effect twists the motor in it's mounts because the drivetrain is trying to turn the tires which are being held back by the brakes. Since the tires aren't moving and the drivetrain is loaded up, it starts pushing against other components in the suspension which obviously move and have some flexibility (i.e., bushings). Due to this, the rear suspension typically starts to squat down as this loading effect happens. Much like accelerating hard from a stop (ass end squats down).

The awesome thing about turbos is that brake stalling creates some boost because turbos are load dependent devices. This effect adds additonal torque for the launch hence a harder launch assuming the tires can handle it. Manual and DCT cars can't brake stall thus cannot generate boost on launch unless they're employing some aftermarket tuning wizardy like anti-lag or a two-step which are downright hell on a turbo's longevity.

The best way to launch an automatic with a street-based torque converter is to flash stall rather than sit there for a long duration of time, like multiple seconds. Stalling a torque converter [...]
I wouldn’t call rolling boost wizardry now a days. Is it hard on the turbo, sure. But if tuned correctly and done properly, you will be fine. It’s the only reason I borrow my brothers GTR. Rolling boost with 1300 WHP is addicting. Lol. Make sure your tires are warmed up.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-22-2023, 07:21 AM   #17
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

In the old drag racing days it was common to use front shock absorbers that had asymmetric damping. They allowed the front end to easily rise as the car left the line, and then slowly let the front end drop. This shifted more weight to the rear tires as it took off (better traction) and then slowly leveled the car out to help steering as it went down the strip.

This was in the days before there was any traction control other than that provided by the rear axle. Positraction-style rearends helped, but once you broke both tires loose the rear of the car usually went sideways and your only option was to reduce throttle to get back some traction. Drag racers never want to let up on the throttle unless it’s to shift.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      05-22-2023, 07:40 AM   #18
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

to make gains
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50