New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
rebekahb
Second Lieutenant
1897
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Home Printer

Our home printer is a dinosaur. It's getting hard to find ink so it's time for a new one. I started looking and the HP Office Jet Pro 6978 & HP Envy Pro 6455 seem to be good contenders.

The Envy Pro you can fax remotely through the app which is a big help for me with work. Downside appears you have to do everything through the app. My husband will not like this. Apparently, you can buy a USB cable to connect to your computer so that is a solution.

Main needs are basic. Wireless printing, scanning, printing, & fax is a bonus. Don't need a big monster. Does anyone have either one of these or can you share which printer you have?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #2
P1
Major General
P1's Avatar
United_States
8339
Rep
9,875
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Honestly, after many years of Epson and HP printers and being frustrated with them, I switched to Brother and I have nothing but good things to say! I have one of their MFC inkjet all-in-ones.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb1896.50
      10-28-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
JP10
Major
JP10's Avatar
1512
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

I have this one for the home office: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp...light%20basalt

It works, little slow, but haven't had any issues with it as of yet. Nice being able to print from the phone when needed as well. Easy to connect. Basically it does it's job and that is it, so I can't complain.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb1896.50
      10-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
rebekahb
Second Lieutenant
1897
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Honestly, after many years of Epson and HP printers and being frustrated with them, I switched to Brother and I have nothing but good things to say! I have one of their MFC inkjet all-in-ones.
I saw that brand but was not familiar so will look into it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
Tommy-G
Captain
Tommy-G's Avatar
1857
Rep
669
Posts

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

iTrader: (0)

They were talking on the radio the other day how they only by printers cheaper than the ink cartridges so when they run out, they replace the printer
Appreciate 2
rebekahb1896.50
vreihen165741.00
      10-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
wtwo3
Lieutenant Colonel
wtwo3's Avatar
4055
Rep
1,997
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

+1 for Brother. I have this color laser printer/scanner and it works great. Good quality, great features, have been really happy so far.

Name:  20211028_102358.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  62.7 KB
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 1
rebekahb1896.50
      10-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
wtwo3
Lieutenant Colonel
wtwo3's Avatar
4055
Rep
1,997
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2020 M340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
They were talking on the radio the other day how they only by printers cheaper than the ink cartridges so when they run out, they replace the printer
I remember way back when I was in high school, working a job in retail, we'd sell a cheap printer for like $50, and offered an extra warranty on it for ~$25 which covered total replacement no questions asked. So the trick was to simply replace the printer under warranty as soon as the ink finished, since the ink cartridges were nearly the same price as the printer.
__________________
2020 BMW X5 xdrive40i
2020 BMW M340i xdrive

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400... 2010 Lexus RX 350... 2008 Lexus IS 350...
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE... 1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G1856.50
      10-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #8
Mein11
New Member
Mein11's Avatar
358
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

As others have said, Brother seems to be the best these days.

HP (I believe) recently had something in their software where if you didn't have enough ink (any color), then you couldn't use the other functions of the printer, most notably the scanner.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
2400
Rep
1,567
Posts

Drives: Model 3, Mustang GT, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Same here with brother. I don't know how many shitty inkjet printers I have sitting in the closet that have stopped working. A few years ago I gave in and bought a brother wireless laser printer/scanner. It has worked flawlessly and haven't had to replace the cartridge yet. It's B&W but we don't really need to print anything color so not an issue for us. Ended up buying another for NC.

Can't comment on the fax thing as I haven't used a fax in 20 years or more.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb1896.50
      10-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #10
2000cs
Captain
2150
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: Potato
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

I have a HP OfficePro 8600 that is several years old. Maybe 10? It still works and so I keep using it, although I’ve never sent or received a fax with it. Every year at this time I start to think about its ability to live through tax time, which is when I print a lot. So far, it keeps surviving.

I use only wireless printing and the scan function. Color is important for both functions for us. But I wish it was smaller.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #11
TiMSport
Colonel
TiMSport's Avatar
United_States
9742
Rep
2,237
Posts

Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

I personally stopped using inkjet printers many years ago. The whole ink thing is like a cartel operation. Exorbitant costs for a shitty little ink cartridge that won't last long and if you don't use it regularly, could end up drying out. I haven't shopped around for printers lately but I think a laser printer makes sense. Yes it will potentially cost more up front and the toner cartridges are also not cheap, but they actually last a long time and are more reliable. Output is also more consistent and better IMHO.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" The key to confidence and success in life is to simply not give a f*** ".
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #12
Lady Jane
Squidgirl in remission.
Lady Jane's Avatar
Canada
16035
Rep
532
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 and R1200RT
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Atlantic Canada.

iTrader: (0)

Low cost option....


Name:  For sale.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  73.7 KB
__________________
Appreciate 4
rebekahb1896.50
Mein11358.00
kscarrol5315.00
FCobra942679.50
      10-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #13
rebekahb
Second Lieutenant
1897
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Can't comment on the fax thing as I haven't used a fax in 20 years or more.
I don't know how in 2021 we are still faxing for work but it sucks. Fax space has a lot of missing faxes that were supposedly delivered but never made it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I personally stopped using inkjet printers many years ago. The whole ink thing is like a cartel operation. Exorbitant costs for a shitty little ink cartridge that won't last long and if you don't use it regularly, could end up drying out. I haven't shopped around for printers lately but I think a laser printer makes sense. Yes it will potentially cost more up front and the toner cartridges are also not cheap, but they actually last a long time and are more reliable. Output is also more consistent and better IMHO.
We both work from home here and there. I also need to print a few mornings a week before I leave and fax so I don't have a choice. Work pays for the ink so that helps. Right now, even though I'm only printing in B&W I still can't print because a color cartridge is out. It's so old and the ink is being discontinued so it's time for a new one:
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #14
TiMSport
Colonel
TiMSport's Avatar
United_States
9742
Rep
2,237
Posts

Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
We both work from home here and there. I also need to print a few mornings a week before I leave and fax so I don't have a choice. Work pays for the ink so that helps. Right now, even though I'm only printing in B&W I still can't print because a color cartridge is out. It's so old and the ink is being discontinued so it's time for a new one:
Ahh I see. I still think a laser printer is the better option. If you don't need color, you can get a monochrome aka B/W one.

About the need for faxing? Haha, no comment on that.
I'm sure you can find models that have the functionality built in. Most of them can be accessed via network, LAN or wireless.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" The key to confidence and success in life is to simply not give a f*** ".
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
5858
Rep
2,792
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
+1 on the Brother MFC. Mine has worked really well.
__________________
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
rebekahb1896.50
      10-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #16
shipill
Major
Canada
307
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: E350 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

get canon laser printer
Appreciate 2
rebekahb1896.50
      10-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #17
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
United_States
5741
Rep
692
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't print frequently enough to keep inkjet cartridges from drying out between prints. It's only lasers for me.

We had a few Brother B&W lasers, the last being a fax/scanner/copier. They were relatively painless to own.

I replaced the last one with a color Xerox laser fax/scan/copier with network printing. Xerox has since gone out of the home/soho printer business, but this thing just keeps on chugging along and third-party toner cartridges are cheap enough. My only fear is that the printer will fail at some point, because I can't buy another one!!!!!
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 20K miles
Appreciate 2
TiMSport9742.00
rebekahb1896.50
      10-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #18
Our03z4
Lieutenant
576
Rep
424
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

This is an easy one. The Epson ET-2720. Does everything you need, is compact, and the best part is it doesn't use ink cartridges. This printer uses bottles of ink and goes for 8000 pages, puts all other printers to shame and their scam of cartridges. The printer was $200 and came with enough ink to do the full 8000 pages. Refill ink is dirt cheap as well. Everything works perfect and can't recommend it enough.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb1896.50
      10-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #19
KevinC
your average JAMF
KevinC's Avatar
United_States
1939
Rep
2,911
Posts

Drives: '08 Z4MC, '19 Golf R
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cochise County, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I finally realized about 4 years ago that I had NO need for a color printer, just need a reliable black ink printer - and black laser printers are DIRT CHEAP nowadays. Bought a cheap Canon and it's been 100% flawless. The "starter" toner cartridge lasted over 3 years and a fair amount of printing. Now on 1st replacement, which is much larger and will last even longer.

Absolutely zero reason to go with crappy inkjet technology nowadays - even a color laser is a great buy and relatively cheap. Even cheaper when you don't have to toss it out and start over every few years.
__________________
'21 M2 Comp
'19 Golf R
Appreciate 1
vreihen165741.00
      10-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #20
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
2432
Rep
990
Posts

Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Another vote for Brother.
Zero issues.





https://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCP-L...f_=as_li_ss_tl
__________________

S55, 2JZ
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2021, 02:53 PM   #21
zx10guy
Colonel
3545
Rep
2,844
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein11 View Post
As others have said, Brother seems to be the best these days.

HP (I believe) recently had something in their software where if you didn't have enough ink (any color), then you couldn't use the other functions of the printer, most notably the scanner.
It was Canon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #22
rebekahb
Second Lieutenant
1897
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
The printer was $200 and came with enough ink to do the full 8000 pages. Refill ink is dirt cheap as well.
Damn, that's impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I finally realized about 4 years ago that I had NO need for a color printer, just need a reliable black ink printer - and black laser printers are DIRT CHEAP nowadays. Bought a cheap Canon and it's been 100% flawless. The "starter" toner cartridge lasted over 3 years and a fair amount of printing. Now on 1st replacement, which is much larger and will last even longer.

Absolutely zero reason to go with crappy inkjet technology nowadays - even a color laser is a great buy and relatively cheap. Even cheaper when you don't have to toss it out and start over every few years.
I rarely need color but my husband does due to proposals he has to put together. I like these long options. I've gotten a lot of great feedback which has been helpful.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST