New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
Z4Author
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Does This Car Have An Oil Cooler?

I'm looking at a 2015 Z4 sDrive35i today (to replace my 2003 Z4), but where the oil cooler goes looks different than the M-spec ones I've been looking at. Does it have a smaller oil cooler? Not sure what I'm looking at. Thanks for any insight (my plan is to at least to go Stage 1 and I want to make sure it'll work).

Also wondering if it would be a candidate for a larger oil cooler mod.
Attached Images

Last edited by Z4Author; 03-15-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

i thought that every z4 35i has oilcooler from factory...
On the picture oilfilter housing looks like a part on 335i that doesnt have oilcooler from factory.

So questions that pop up:
Do really some z4 35i-s have no oilcooler?

i thought that was so only on earlier 335i/135i and on later cars as oil temps were an issue bmw added oilcoolers to all n54-s.
My EU spec 09 35i has oilcooler thermostat block on the filter housing and oil cooler for example.

I even checked bmwfans.info parts catalogue, checked both usa and euro, 2015 35i and it shows me oilcooler and oil filter housing with oil cooler thermostat block, no option for not having oilcooler at all. That site may also be wrong.

Did someone replace oilfilter housing and got a cheaper(?) one from 335i? Or maybe had an issue with oilcooler and decided to delete it?
Engine got replaced and new engine did not have oilcooler option?

It does not make sense.

There was only one size for oilcooler from factory (17 21 7 585 717) same cooler on 35is and yes there are aftermarket upgrade options for a bigger one. But if you dont have oilcooler thermostat with cooler connections on oil filter housing then you must replace and upgrade filter housing aswell to add oilcooler.
      03-17-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
Z4Author
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
i thought that every z4 35i has oilcooler from factory...
On the picture oilfilter housing looks like a part on 335i that doesnt have oilcooler from factory.

So questions that pop up:
Do really some z4 35i-s have no oilcooler?

i thought that was so only on earlier 335i/135i and on later cars as oil temps were an issue bmw added oilcoolers to all n54-s.
My EU spec 09 35i has oilcooler thermostat block on the filter housing and oil cooler for example.

I even checked bmwfans.info parts catalogue, checked both usa and euro, 2015 35i and it shows me oilcooler and oil filter housing with oil cooler thermostat block, no option for not having oilcooler at all. That site may also be wrong.

Did someone replace oilfilter housing and got a cheaper(?) one from 335i? Or maybe had an issue with oilcooler and decided to delete it?
Engine got replaced and new engine did not have oilcooler option?

It does not make sense.

There was only one size for oilcooler from factory (17 21 7 585 717) same cooler on 35is and yes there are aftermarket upgrade options for a bigger one. But if you dont have oilcooler thermostat with cooler connections on oil filter housing then you must replace and upgrade filter housing aswell to add oilcooler.

So, I ended up passing on this car, but I was able to find a couple other later/refresh 35i on the market that looked the same...thus my confusion. None of them had the sport or M package so I really wondered if there were some later cars without an oil cooler. It would seem to be the case which goes against everything I've read, but I'm positive now that it wasn't just this particular car as I've seen other examples.

Last edited by Z4Author; 03-17-2021 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
Neg89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e89 3,5i

In the EU i had the cooler.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Drummer$Dude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 E89 35i

My 2009 35i has the oil filter housing as shown in the photo you posted so my Z4 doesn’t have an oil cooler but that hasn’t caused me any issues.
Appreciate 0