New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #23
jmds
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 23i

Did you consider to buy a chinese display ? Much easier to build in. If you buy it choose the snapdragon unit. Beware of some Bluetooth problems and particulary about very limited controler functions .
Here two links if you are interested.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1719625
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1639676
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #24
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmds View Post
Did you consider to buy a chinese display ? Much easier to build in. If you buy it choose the snapdragon unit. Beware of some Bluetooth problems and particulary about very limited controler functions .
Here two links if you are interested.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1719625
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1639676
Yeah loads of useful info in there that is also applicable to the E89 version.
There is a thread on this site regarding the E89 specific units, https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558926

It includes my installation video (on page 5) for those that want to fit one

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:22 AM   #25
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

OK, so an update for anyone still interested......

This has been very convoluted, it’s not so much been a problem as finding the time to actually sort it. And by “it” I mean the Bluetooth.
As stated above I fitted a used MULF, OK not in the conventional place of in the boot but above the glovebox as there was room for it and this saved me in removing all of the panels and running cables to the boot.

A bit of tech first….
On the iDrive system you either have a MULF or a Combox. In turn this then transmits the signals from the Bluetooth, USB and AUX to the headunit via the MOST fibre optic wires.
This can also be the same in a non-iDrive Z4 that has factory Bluetooth.

So when I fitted the MULF I re-routed the AUX and USB feeds to the position above the glovebox and used the factory fitted MOST lines (factory CD changer prep). As far as the AUX and USB these worked perfectly fine with the new iDrive system, but I couldn’t find a way to activate the Bluetooth no matter what research I did. Now as I had the MMI box it wasn’t really a priority as I had Bluetooth through there, but it was annoying as I wanted it all working correctly.

Anyway I took the plunge and bought a Combox and decided to try with that and see where it went. I rewired the connections from the MULF to a new connector for the Combox, plugged it all in and tested it and I got AUX and USB working perfectly. I tried the Bluetooth and instead of “Please wait…” constantly it showed options for connecting a phone, so I connected it and low and behold Eureka!!! Not only do I now have fully working Bluetooth for calls but also Bluetooth music all working.
So I’ve also managed to do a software update as well (I managed to find the VIN of an identical Z4 with iDrive) and have updated that, and now also have album art in the USB music option.

So I’m now working on the next thing for it and that is to have reversing camera image on the factory PDC screen. Apparently this is an option in the E9x series, the option to alter the written code for it is present and today I tested the VO code to see if it would accept it and it did. So the next thing to do now is to get hold of an emulator for this and test it out with my current rear camera. All being well it’ll work perfectly. And yes I know I already have it with my MMI box, but I like a challenge and I like to see factory options all working.

So I'm a happy bunny having completed this now, which means I can finish off my iDrive retrofit video and pop it up on my YouTube channel. Also managed to film another video today while I was out there, so plenty of content coming soon

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #26
Mmdt101
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
OK, so an update for anyone still interested......

This has been very convoluted, it’s not so much been a problem as finding the time to actually sort it. And by “it” I mean the Bluetooth.
As stated above I fitted a used MULF, OK not in the conventional place of in the boot but above the glovebox as there was room for it and this saved me in removing all of the panels and running cables to the boot.

A bit of tech first….
On the iDrive system you either have a MULF or a Combox. In turn this then transmits the signals from the Bluetooth, USB and AUX to the headunit via the MOST fibre optic wires.
This can also be the same in a non-iDrive Z4 that has factory Bluetooth.

So when I fitted the MULF I re-routed the AUX and USB feeds to the position above the glovebox and used the factory fitted MOST lines (factory CD changer prep). As far as the AUX and USB these worked perfectly fine with the new iDrive system, but I couldn’t find a way to activate the Bluetooth no matter what research I did. Now as I had the MMI box it wasn’t really a priority as I had Bluetooth through there, but it was annoying as I wanted it all working correctly.

Anyway I took the plunge and bought a Combox and decided to try with that and see where it went. I rewired the connections from the MULF to a new connector for the Combox, plugged it all in and tested it and I got AUX and USB working perfectly. I tried the Bluetooth and instead of “Please wait…” constantly it showed options for connecting a phone, so I connected it and low and behold Eureka!!! Not only do I now have fully working Bluetooth for calls but also Bluetooth music all working.
So I’ve also managed to do a software update as well (I managed to find the VIN of an identical Z4 with iDrive) and have updated that, and now also have album art in the USB music option.

So I’m now working on the next thing for it and that is to have reversing camera image on the factory PDC screen. Apparently this is an option in the E9x series, the option to alter the written code for it is present and today I tested the VO code to see if it would accept it and it did. So the next thing to do now is to get hold of an emulator for this and test it out with my current rear camera. All being well it’ll work perfectly. And yes I know I already have it with my MMI box, but I like a challenge and I like to see factory options all working.

So I'm a happy bunny having completed this now, which means I can finish off my iDrive retrofit video and pop it up on my YouTube channel. Also managed to film another video today while I was out there, so plenty of content coming soon
My head hurts reading this! Good for you Dave. That why I could never take a project like this on. I could never rest until it's perfect and being the best it could possibly be. Can't start a project I know I'm not intelligent enough to complete. That said, I just order the Android from Milo and will be very content with that!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #27
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmdt101 View Post
My head hurts reading this! Good for you Dave. That why I could never take a project like this on. I could never rest until it's perfect and being the best it could possibly be. Can't start a project I know I'm not intelligent enough to complete. That said, I just order the Android from Milo and will be very content with that!
I think the thing here is that I should have just jumped in with both feet to start with and got the Combox instead of the MULF from the start then I'd have had this all sorted a long time by now!
Anyway, each to their own level,
The Android from Milo will be a great addition to your Z. I really enjoyed mine and had a lot of use out of it for the year and 1/4 I had it installed.
Talking of installing it, and in case you've not already seen it, my installation video on it....

That should see you through it, just watch out for the additional screw for the key receptical, as LHD Z4's have an extra screw there.

Appreciate 1
      05-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #28
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So, finally after months of delays I've got the retrofit video for the iDrive installation uploaded.
Hope you like it.....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #29
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

What Idrive controller part # did you go with? I'm seeing a bunch of options/part numbers and want the larger control knob (plus mine is broke)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 01:42 AM   #30
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
What Idrive controller part # did you go with? I'm seeing a bunch of options/part numbers and want the larger control knob (plus mine is broke)
OK so this, like a lot of things BMW, isn't straightforward.
You can go for any E9x, E8x, E7x or E6x controller as long as it's from a CIC system.
Now some come with a CD button (top left) and some come with a MEDIA button. The MEDIA version is for a car with a combox. Now it doesn't matter as they both do exactly the same job.
Originally I bought one with the CD button and it was from an E60 with part number 9213309 and it worked perfectly fine, but then I wanted the proper one so it looked correct so bought one from an E90 with part number 9285445. There are a lot of part numbers over the years but those are the ones I used, purely because they were good prices at the time and in good condition.
Now as for the big knob, that's aftermarket, no E series CIC came with a big knob from the factory, I bought mine from ebay.
Appreciate 0