New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Regional Forums > USA - NY/NJ/PA/CT

05-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Your sightseing recommendations please !!

Hi folks.

I would appreciate your insight here.

I will be in late June in NY for 2 weeks on my honeymoon.

We are planing to spend a full week in Manhattan, walk the sh!t out of it, visit the museums of Natural History, Metropolitan, Modern Arts and Guggenheim, take the Empire State building tour and Staten Island ferry and visit a theater play with Hanks.

Hoping that a week in Manhattan will give us a nice bite on the apple I 'm flirting with the idea of spending the 2nd week exploring a bit of the wider area probably renting a car for a few days to see a bit around New Jersey and Long Island.

What shouldn't be missed in this area? I have no intention to visit Atlantic City or spend half a day on a beach, I just want to visit nice districts and feel a bit like a local. I 'm afraid a full day will be spent in Woodbury too .

I was also thinking to stay the last 2 days in Queens or Brooklyn, what is there not to miss too?

Any recommendation on a nice fusion/progressive live jazz club in the area?

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

I'm not from NY nor live there. But I think you'll have more luck asking this question in the M3post or e90post where the members are more active.

If you're coming to sunny California, that I can help
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
MickOpalak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Lotus Exige S

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

NYC should be nice, but it will be pretty hot. Lots to see. Don't be too alarmed if you encounter legions of topless old ladies in Times Square... apparently its a new thing.

Honeymooning in Queens should be interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

eat well, go to dive bars to hang out, see a broadway show, shop in soho, take a carriage ride in central park

If you have more time go eat some asian food in flushing (Queens), walk across brooklyn bridge.

One thing, manhattan is generally safe but you really should ask a local about queens and brooklyn. Some trendy areas are surrounded by very unsafe areas. My wife is brooklyn born and raised and we lived in the area for a few years but are too socal now to really know the "on the ground" details.

Also, I personally take a cab or car service after 8pm if I am going to take the train into brooklyn or queens or north of 80th street in manhattan.

have fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep

Talking

Thank you all, points taken then, I 'll spend 2 weeks in Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
Bronx.
IMHO, not much to see there and no need to go

Harlem and parts of brooklyn (park slope) and queens (williamsburg and green point) that are trendy but near "gentrifying" areas will provide you will enough "excitement"
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

I maybe able to help. What are our interests? One thing i strongly recommend is downloading the "yelp" app for your phone. Also if you like comedy and want to try something new I'd look into a groupon comedy club.

Also Lower east side,
SoHo, Williamsburg are areas that ate great to walk though. Do not go past avenue D on the lower east side. Nothing but bad news there.

I will pm you a list of things soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
IMHO, not much to see there and no need to go

Harlem and parts of brooklyn (park slope) and queens (williamsburg and green point) that are trendy but near "gentrifying" areas will provide you will enough "excitement"
Thanks, I was just kidding mentioning those regions, I know what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
I maybe able to help. What are our interests? One thing i strongly recommend is downloading the "yelp" app for your phone. Also if you like comedy and want to try something new I'd look into a groupon comedy club.

Also Lower east side,
SoHo, Williamsburg are areas that ate great to walk though. Do not go past avenue D on the lower east side. Nothing but bad news there.

I will pm you a list of things soon.
Thanks, will keep that in mind.

I think I have a basic roadmap of things to do in Manhattan for a start and given the time restraint, I 'm just debating if I should rent a car and spend a few days through New Jersey, Long Island or any other place around NY. I wouldn't like to visit longer distance destinations such as Boston or DC at this point.

Looking forward to your pm.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Pm Sent
Appreciate 0