New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #3433
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

You can thank deinstitutionalization for that shit show.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #3434
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
We went to The Pantry downtown Sunday morning, before heading over to Chavez Ravine. We waited almost an hour, with a constant "show" the mentally challenged homeless locals provided. Some where touched by God, and chanted the entire time about Yahweh, but this guy was wandering into the traffic lanes, spittle all over his face/nose.
Another kept wandering up/down the line of waiting patrons. I was constantly adjusting where my wife/SIL were standing, as I kept a front with my "FBI hands" in position. He kept tormenting the guy in front of me, kept reaching out and touching him if he turned his back. That couple waited an hour, got inside, saw that it was cash only and then left. I don't think they will be back.

I saw at least one LAPD unit drive by, no cares were given. When the buses came thru, they judiciously used their horns.

Do you think when the $2B for mental health/homeless comes down, that more of these people will be taken off the street?
Short answer! No! There's just nowhere to put them, plus…..the homeless don't want to be saved. I know people hate to hear that, but it's the truth. We offer to take these people to shelters and other locations so they have a roof over their heads, but they either decline or leave shortly after we take them. They prefer street living and they prefer environments with no structure. That's the reality………much like predominantly black communities will always be riddled with crime because they like it.

Speaking of the crazy…..

….Yesterday was my first day off. I stayed indoors most of the day, but decided to go to the local Porsche dealership to handle a few things. As I entered the freeway, I immediately noticed two Sheriff's patrol units on the right shoulder dealing with a 918 (..mentally insane person) who was about to jump off of the overpass. I stop traffic in #4 lane to give the deputies space to work. The 918 decides to run into the #4 lane, and then the #3 lane. I see cars passing with no regard for the deputies nor the 918, almost hitting a deputy in the process…….so I become immediately irritated. I pull my Corolla into both the #3 and #4 lanes, blocking the path, and then exit my car with badge and gun in hand right after the truck in the #3 lane decides to honk at me (…what?!? Are you going to run over deputies too?!?!….yeah, I was annoyed!!). I had to stop traffic in the #2 and #1 by badging them. FINALLY everybody stopped so the deputies could deal with the 918 without worrying about passing cars. A CHP Motor rolled up and started assisting the deputies while I held traffic; another CHP unit arrived shortly afterwards. Four law enforcers chased the 918 around on the freeway and eventually had to tackle him. It was a clusterfuck, but thankfully an OIS didn't occur. After it was all resolved, the handling deputy came up and shook my hand and thanked me for helping and asked me to hold traffic a little bit longer while they did what they needed to do.

Moral of the story? 918's are unpredictable………and please pay attention to lights and sirens. Don't just casually drive by and disregard patrol cars on a scene. The lights and sirens are there for a reason. This applies to traffic collisions too. Be mindful that there are humans outside of their vehicles tending to problems and your 4000 lb. intervention is a nuisance……a dangerous one.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 8
upstatedoc7559.50
Joekerr7929.00
cmyx6go15716.00
vreihen1615256.00
mahalom3163.00
Buug95917397.50
paquet629.50
jmack548.50
      06-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #3435
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Short answer! No! There's just nowhere to put them, plus…..the homeless don't want to be saved.
$2B ought to buy a place?

918/5150 ought to be able to get them off the street for longer than 72 hours? IF there was a place to put them?

The Pantry isn't THAT good. I'm not sure I'll be making that recommendation in the future. I had to go and open my big mouth . . .
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      06-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #3436
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Short answer! No! There's just nowhere to put them, plus…..the homeless don't want to be saved.
$2B ought to buy a place?

918/5150 ought to be able to get them off the street for longer than 72 hours? IF there was a place to put them?

The Pantry isn't THAT good. I'm not sure I'll be making that recommendation in the future. I had to go and open my big mouth . . .
Let me put it to you another way….

….the homeless person wouldn't even make it to the location to start the 72 hour clock. It's a homeless culture thing. For the few that do want the roof and decent bed, there's nowhere to put them all, but there's surely space for many. The government constantly throws money at the homeless just like they throw money at low income housing, hoping to get people out of the ghetto(s) and into better environments, but they bring the ghetto with them.
Appreciate 3
mahalom3163.00
Buug95917397.50
jmack548.50
      06-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #3437
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Let me put it to you another way….

….the homeless person wouldn't even make it to the location to start the 72 hour clock. It's a homeless culture thing. For the few that do want the roof and decent bed, there's nowhere to put them all, but there's surely space for many. The government constantly throws money at the homeless just like they throw money at low income housing, hoping to get people out of the ghetto(s) and into better environments, but they bring the ghetto with them.
"Service Resistant"
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25086.50
mahalom3163.00
      06-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #3438
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
.... That's the reality………much like predominantly black communities will always be riddled with crime because they like it....
"Predominantly Black communities" do not like being riddled with crime.

Few homeless people want to be homeless. They just don't like the setups we offer them.

And these are people you vow to serve?
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      06-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #3439
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
.... That's the reality………much like predominantly black communities will always be riddled with crime because they like it....
"Predominantly Black communities" do not like being riddled with crime.

Few homeless people want to be homeless. They just don't like the setups we offer them.

And these are people you serve?
Believe what you want.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      06-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #3440
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Believe what you want.
Or I could believe you!

Come on Clan, your ideas are so way last century.
And you will defend them with, "This is what I see...." Nothing better.

"11. 42% of street children identify as LGBT.
(Street Kids)
The youth living on the streets are more likely to be homeless after a conflict with their parents."

https://policyadvice.net/insurance/i...ss-statistics/

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-14-2021 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #3441
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
What setup do you think they should be offered, such that they would change?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      06-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #3442
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
He doesn't know anything.

Listen, I don't know what more could be offered. On the low end they can stay in a shelter with showers, clothing, protection (…shelter security), safety in numbers, hot food, etc. On the middle/high end they actually have apartments; motel rooms converted into living spaces. Often these are Motel 6 type locations that don't rent to casual travelers (…or they allot few rooms for those casual travelers; be cautious next time you consider staying in a Motel 6 or its equivalent, especially in major metro areas), but receive federal/state grant money to offer housing for the homeless or low income citizens. Either of those are far better options than living on the bus stop bench or in a tent on the side of the freeway. With the better alternatives comes rules, necessary decorum, etc….and THAT is what they don't like. They don't like structure. They want to have the freedom to use drugs when they please. Hell, they'll tell you that THEMSELVES. They'll tell you they prefer the street. In addition, they tend to be estranged from family because of their criminal behavior and drug abuse tendencies. Even then, families still enable them until it becomes too much to bear (…and their safety is jeopardized). Littlebear is all about Google searches and no experience.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615256.00
      06-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #3443
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
NYC is having a Mayoral primary in a few weeks. I think all candidates are acknowledging that there has been a lack of affordable housing built in the last decade or so.
Anyone in Ca. must be aware of the lack of affordable housing. This is now hitting employed folks, it is so bad.
One of the successes in the last decade has been in getting families into Permanent Supportive Housing, Rapid Re-Housing, and other non-shelter beds. Families now have very low homelessness.

The folks Clan seems to be speaking of are mainly mentally impaired, with a large part of that group being veterans. They are nowhere near the majority of the homeless.

"Permanent Housing. While the number of temporary housing beds decreased by 9 percent, the number of permanent housing beds (Permanent Supportive Housing, Rapid Re-Housing, and Other) increased by 20 percent over the last five years."

"These numbers reflect a shift in policy priorities. Renewed emphasis is on ending homelessness by moving more people into permanent housing, rather than allowing them to linger indefinitely in shelters and unsheltered locations."
https://endhomelessness.org/homeless...lessness-2020/

PS: I don't use Google, Clan; I only invest in them.

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-14-2021 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #3444
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Pls tell me Clan, when did the good state of Ca. start offering equal access to public employment, like police jobs, to blacks & minorities? Getting access to these public sector jobs and the the security of a union, a pension, health care, etc has been a big boon for many minority families, but it only happened in most places within my working lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #3445
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Pls tell me Clan, when did the good state of Ca. start offering equal access to public employment, like police jobs, to blacks & minorities? Getting access to these public sector jobs and the the security of a union, a pension, health care, etc has been a big boon for many minority families, but it only happened in most places within my working lifetime.

Easily longer than I've been alive……and I'm in my 40's. I know many minorities that are long retired and who put in 30+ years. Minorities aren't restricted, so I don't know what you're getting at.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #3446
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Easily longer than I've been alive.
But you are relatively wet behind the ears.
And you know what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #3447
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Easily longer than I've been alive.
But you are relatively wet behind the ears.
And you know what I'm talking about.
Read my edit.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #3448
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Read my edit.
Again, it isn't all about you. It's about equal access for all.
Your claim of being ignorant of this American history is astounding.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #3449
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Read my edit.
Again, it isn't all about you.
Your claim of being ignorant of this American history is astounding.
Your attempt to rouse me won't work. You made an assertion. I answered your question. It's not about me. If I'm in my 40's and I know minorities (..to be specific for you: BLACKS) who are long retired AND who put in 30+ years, you do the math. Blacks have been in law enforcement since AT LEAST the time they were allowed to actively serve and promote in the military. What any of that has to do with this conversation as a whole is beyond me. Just because I don't dwell on the distant past doesn't make me ignorant of it.

Since you love Google so damn much….

….Samuel J. Battle was the first black police officer in New York City. He served from 1911 to 1941. So at least in your state, it has been over a century that blacks were able to obtain a job in my field. Does that answer your question?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #3450
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Oh, and here's a list of black police officers dating back to the late 1800's.

https://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatch...nforcement.asp

Stop being a 'tard and solely focused on inciting people in this thread. It's tiring and that's why people block you and/or don't acknowledge you. You bring nothing of substance to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #3451
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Hit the ignore button already!
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25086.50
vreihen1615256.00
Dpc2u11503.00
jmack548.50
      06-14-2021, 03:55 PM   #3452
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Hit the ignore button already!
I'm very, very close. Those of you who are enjoying peace on anti-Littlebear island may have a new resident soon. Lol!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615256.00
      06-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #3453
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and here's a list of black police officers dating back to the late 1800's.

https://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatch...nforcement.asp

Stop being a 'tard and solely focused on inciting people in this thread. It's tiring and that's why people block you and/or don't acknowledge you. You bring nothing of substance to this thread.
How equally were those Black soldiers in WW2 treated?
A: Not very! The post-war "GI Bill", which was to help the WW2 vets with housing & education, was given to the states to administer at the insistence of a southern Senator, which lead to many Black vets not getting equal housing or educations.

You don't understand: It's the exception that proves the rule. Back to "Equal Opportunity":

1961. President John F. Kennedy's Executive Order (E.O.) 10925 used affirmative action for the first time by instructing federal contractors to take "affirmative action to ensure that applicants are treated equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin." Created the Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity.

1964. Civil Rights Act of 1964 was signed into law. This was landmark legislation prohibiting employment discrimination by large employers (over 15 employees), whether or not they have government contracts. Established the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-14-2021 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #3454
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your attempt to rouse me won't work....
Since you love Google so damn much….

….Samuel J. Battle was the first black police officer in New York City. He served from 1911 to 1941. So at least in your state, it has been over a century that blacks were able to obtain a job in my field. Does that answer your question?
"Yet in practice, it’s never been quite as even-keeled as its proponents want people to believe. One of the FDNY’s first black firefighters, Wesley Williams, was hired in 1919 with an outstanding score on the written and a perfect score on the physical—only one other man in the department’s history could claim that. His character reference—something all candidates had to produce—was written by former U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...atter/394946/:
"It’s no coincidence the Department of Justice has stepped in to investigate fire departments in Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Jacksonville, Florida. Even in famously progressive New York City, it took a fraught and draining court battle to force the FDNY and City Hall to acknowledge that the “merit system” of hiring proved to be anything but color-blind."

Equal opportunity?

Now quick, run away to the blue snowflake room!

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-14-2021 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0