New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Cleaning Ivory "Alcantra" seat material

I have the white (Ivory) Nappa leather / Alcantra interior. The leather is easy to keep clean and conditioned with BMW leather cleaning products. It is the "Alcantra" (synthetic suede?) that is more bothersome.

The black seat belts leave marks where they rub (esp with kids in the seats) and just the pollution in the air from running in the city seems to darken the nappy fabric of the alcantra.

Does anyone know if this is real suede or is it a synthetic material?

So far the best product I have found found to clean the alcantra is Oxy-Clean liquid in the spray bottle. I spray it onto a clean dry rag and then wipe it into the nap of the fabric, then dry with another rag. My only concern is over time... is this treatment the most appropriate?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
lrc454
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30i Steptronic

We have the same issue on our 2009 Z4. Would also like to find the appropriate product to remove the black marks from the seat belt.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

this has been discussed several times and I gladly repeat what has worked for me - a 1/2 and 1/2 Woolite to warm water solution applied with a white terry cloth. the Alcantara site says, and I am paraphrasing, "you can also use grain alcohol," which I have not yet tried because the Woolite solution works well
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
this has been discussed several times and I gladly repeat what has worked for me - a 1/2 and 1/2 Woolite to warm water solution applied with a white terry cloth. the Alcantara site says, and I am paraphrasing, "you can also use grain alcohol," which I have not yet tried because the Woolite solution works well
Thanks for the advice and the lead to the Alcantara web site! ( I had no idea what Alcantara is) Now I can continue to clean with confidence.

http://new.alcantara.com/#/en/home
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Integraworks: Alcantara is a faux leather.
The material was developed in the early 1970s by Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for the Japanese chemical company Toray Industries, as a variation of their other product Ultrasuede produced around the same time (Wikipedia).
Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane [4] giving increased durability and stain resistance. (Wikipedia).
I guess you got the right website for that http://new.alcantara.com/#/en/home
It is not easy to keep it clean, I had the BMW Performance steering wheel on my E93, and was a constant struggle to keep the wheels clean and in their original shape/color...
Appreciate 0