New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #45
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Anyone who has fitted m3 front control arms...

I just recieved a set of m3 arms and soon going forward with the install.
I know that alignment is needed.. thats common knowledge and selfexplanatory.

But..
Do headlights need any adjustment too? Or are they completely fine after install? Attaching level sensor rod to the new arm wont throw it off?
That is a good question. I have never seen anyone say they had a problem with it in the 3 series or the Z. I have them installed and have not noticed any problems.

Makes me wonder how it works now
Appreciate 1
KennyP63.50
      10-19-2021, 10:43 AM   #46
KennyP
Second Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Got M3 arms installed yesterday.
Definitely an improvement.. though my old upper arm (tension strut) bushings were pretty much done.
impressions:
Less understeer, car turns a lot better... on a roundabout you can just add and add speed with no sign of front trying to push wide.
Steering is also lighter. Not as heavy as before in sport+. And its more precise aswell.
Havent really noticed any increased harshness...

So all good!

Now regarding headlight adjustment... Decided to do a headlight test just in case... Headlight testing machine was right there after install and it really didnt take long to check and do the adjustment.
It came out that lights were a bit high... so adjusted them a bit down. To be honest it wasnt much off and people even may prefer to have lights a bit higher and light up further, surely wouldnt complain about it.
      11-11-2021, 06:28 AM   #47
Marcoose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Kenny, from the 2nd post:

“One other note (search threads here) is that you will have to fashion a mount for the passenger-side wishbone mount for the self-leveling lights - totally different on E89 than E92 (thanks BMW).”

How did you tackle that?

Thanks,

Marc
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #48
KennyP
Second Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Kenny, from the 2nd post:

“One other note (search threads here) is that you will have to fashion a mount for the passenger-side wishbone mount for the self-leveling lights - totally different on E89 than E92 (thanks BMW).”

How did you tackle that?

Thanks,

Marc

Used the same level clamp that was used with original lower control arm.
M3 arm is thicker so it would not reach all the way around. So i got some stainless steel cable ties to fix it in place.
Also original arm had 2 notches that kept that clamp from sliding on the arm. To fix that we grinded a little slot into the arm to imitate those notches.

If you google "slightly fettled z4" you will find a e89 forum thread on Pistonheads with pictures partcodes and everything. Has pictures of that clamp aswell.

And people have used ordinary cable ties to do that. But i know with time those can get brittle and break. So i went with stainless steel cable ties to be sure.
      11-11-2021, 06:47 PM   #49
KennyP
Second Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

edit.. no pictures of the clamp on that thread... Anyway i had pictures saved on my pc. Dont remember where i got them from... it was some forum thread. So these pictures are not mine.

pictures:

And here is a pic from Asbjorn on this forum from 2018:

link to thread

Last edited by KennyP; 11-11-2021 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 08:19 PM   #50
Marcoose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Thanks, Kenny. All that work and mods gives me pause. Right now my car is perfectly planted. With the mods listed below, it's zero understeer, 100% confidence. You know, if ain't broken, don't fix it. And the KW kit is still to arrive, to replace the H&R. My indy says it'll be even better. I'll ask AKG tomorrow if their tension strut bushings fit the E89 stock arm. I may consider that. Thanks again. Super generous of you. Marc.
      11-12-2021, 03:44 AM   #51
KennyP
Second Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

My upper control arm bushings were wearing out, so had to replace them anyway. My plan was to upgrade to M arms when i needed to replace those arms. And thats exactly what happened.

Upper arm you can just get aftermarket bushings... would probably be even better. Lower arm has a balljoint instead of bushing on the m arm.
Main thing with lower arm is that its a bit longer and gives extra camber. Also looks better imo, matches the rear better as rear has camber anyway.

Also i wanted to get a full set of TRW arms. But 1 upper arm was out of stock everywhere. Cancelled orders multiple times because i got a message back saying they cant get it. Finally got 3 TRW arms and 1 BMW OEM arm.
That 1 BMW arm cost almost the same as other 3 TRW parts combined.
Dont know whats up with TRW parts. Read that TRW was sold to new owners and thats maybe why there isnt any in stock. They maybe dont make them any more. Retailers werent even sure if they were ever able to get it in stock. No backorder date and so on.

Also replaced all the arm bolts and nuts. Service manual says to replace them.
Its about 10 eur per bolt, times 4 its 40 eur to replace bolts aswell. Bit much for 4 bolts but thats how it is.