New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-31-2022, 09:58 AM   #1101
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I get pissed when I have to wait for someone at the gas pump ahead of me.
I know the feeling.
Appreciate 3
      12-31-2022, 01:25 PM   #1102
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
In the USA, this is when the guns come out...
If you think it through, most of these folks traded their guns in for peace flowers anyway. So it’s very safe it won’t happen. They’re all inside their cars TikToking how privileged they are for having a car, let alone an electric.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16950.50
      01-01-2023, 07:13 AM   #1103
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

winter blues - https://www.businessinsider.com/rent...-hertz-2023-01

Quote:

Taking longer to charge than you can drive for.

When they set off they could drive for at least two and a half hours before needing to charge the Tesla. "We ended up having to stop every one to one and a half hours to charge for an hour, then an hour and a half, then two hours," he said.

"So beyond the lost time, it also got to the point it was between $25 and $30 to recharge. Just in one day, we stopped six times to charge at that cost," Xaviar said.

The first time the siblings called Hertz, Xaviar said the agent told him he'd had "had nothing but Tesla calls today – I have no idea why they're having issues."

Last edited by g21; 01-01-2023 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16950.50
      01-05-2023, 08:17 AM   #1104
M5Rick
General
Rep

Looking more and more like UK headed for EV catastrophe with governments apparently blind to overwhelming evidence that EV's are the wrong path and ignoring the obvious.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2094...omic-disaster/
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #1105
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
So glad I dumped my Taycan when I did to go back to a gas powered manual transmission fun car.

I thought EV would be fun and practical but it became a huge issue traveling long distances - I did 300 miles in 1 day in the winter and had to stop and charge twice in the same day for a cumulative total of 50 minutes (much of that was due to slow chargers and shit range in the winter).

Additionally the luxury EV market is crashing hard, cars are losing thousands in value each week. I might not be back to an EV for a long time, unless it's a $20k disposable commuter car.
Appreciate 5
M5Rick58907.50
Cos270608.50
chassis6373.50
KRS_SN13106.00
      01-05-2023, 02:57 PM   #1106
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Looking more and more like UK headed for EV catastrophe with governments apparently blind to overwhelming evidence that EV's are the wrong path and ignoring the obvious.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2094...omic-disaster/
Interesting article.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58907.50
      01-08-2023, 02:51 AM   #1107
M5Rick
General
Rep

Woman commenting after EV charging queue hell ''I'm wishing I stuck with petrol right now if I'm honest''
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2087...de-of-conduct/
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2023, 04:53 AM   #1108
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

I recently test drove a dual motor Model 3 long range and was blown away how fun that instant torque is and at your disposal as soon as you want it at any speed....and with the prices right now on nicely used examples , I'm sold

Granted, I live in probably one of the best places to have a Tesla in southern California due to the weather(no cold battery issues) ridiculous gas prices and plenty of super chargers everywhere...I also have a garage and solar for home charging which would keep the cost down even further...I would never need to use the super chargers unless I was on a road trip, which I only do about 3-4 times a year and could use one of my gas powered cars if wanted.

I can see for some people in different regions that didn't have home charging and lack of infrastructure they wouldn't be ideal though.

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 01-08-2023 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 3
      01-08-2023, 08:20 AM   #1109
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

I’m having a hard deciding between a 2021 X7 m50i fully loaded I just found or ordering a Rivian R1S. What to do…what to do? I am sure the Rivian would be much more reliable since it has less moving parts. The unfortunate is the Rivian not having CarPlay and proper door bins that the Bimmer has done well. Has anyone compared the seat comfort of the Rivian compared to the X5 or X7 merino package or even the Bimmer Vernasca seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 10:50 AM   #1110
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
.I also have a garage and solar for home charging which would keep the cost down even further..
Something to consider: most with home solar aren't able to thoroughly capitalize on it for EV charging. If you work away from home and during the day, that leaves you charging at night when there is little or no solar. Your costs are then subject to power company rate schemes and price changes. The two biggest power utilities in my area just raised rates 10% & 15% because of all the costs associated with ramping up capacity and related reliability that comes with that. This is going to get worse as EV's push the load imbalance further.

So-Cal power is already expensive, and setup to get a lot more expensive too as more switch to EV, which will push the cost even faster because more will load up the night time load and the time of day pricing in that time band will get worse because there is no nighttime solar. It's almost all carbon generation at night. Know the cost, and anticipate the increase in your analysis. Residential power only costs $.064 KWH where I live, and no time-of-day schemes, but my utility is fed by over 99% hydro. It's probably cheaper for me than most to own an EV, and solar here is pretty limited.
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
M5Rick58907.50
      01-08-2023, 03:48 PM   #1111
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Something to consider: most with home solar aren't able to thoroughly capitalize on it for EV charging. If you work away from home and during the day, that leaves you charging at night when there is little or no solar. Your costs are then subject to power company rate schemes and price changes. The two biggest power utilities in my area just raised rates 10% & 15% because of all the costs associated with ramping up capacity and related reliability that comes with that. This is going to get worse as EV's push the load imbalance further.

So-Cal power is already expensive, and setup to get a lot more expensive too as more switch to EV, which will push the cost even faster because more will load up the night time load and the time of day pricing in that time band will get worse because there is no nighttime solar. It's almost all carbon generation at night. Know the cost, and anticipate the increase in your analysis. Residential power only costs $.064 KWH where I live, and no time-of-day schemes, but my utility is fed by over 99% hydro. It's probably cheaper for me than most to own an EV, and solar here is pretty limited.
doesn't really work like that with solar...at least here

how it works is my solar panels generate electricity...usually more than what we use and the electric company than gives you a credit on what your panels produced.... spring and summer usually get huge credits, then the winter starts to use more than produce due to where the sun is in the sky and using more lights and heat etc.... so typically at the end of the year I usually either owe about $50 or I have a $50 credit from Edison

we went solar years ago and was best thing we ever did when it comes to saving money
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2023, 04:08 PM   #1112
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
doesn't really work like that with solar...at least here

how it works is my solar panels generate electricity...usually more than what we use and the electric company than gives you a credit on what your panels produced.... spring and summer usually get huge credits, then the winter starts to use more than produce due to where the sun is in the sky and using more lights and heat etc.... so typically at the end of the year I usually either owe about $50 or I have a $50 credit from Edison

we went solar years ago and was best thing we ever did when it comes to saving money

So your use of electricity to charge your EV and your power generated from your solar system are separated. You are selling power you aren't using during the day, and having to buy someone else's power when you charge at night. When you add an EV load to the equation that is a lot of load , it will become an unbalanced relationship. Having solar doesn't fix that. Socal is going to become saturated with Solar soon at this rate. The value of the power you are selling will drop, and the cost of "someone else's power" at night will increase.

Not trying to argue, just pointing out that the rationale for "solar will solve the EV load" is not a very good position now, and will be even worse in the long run. It still requires "someone else" to make the power that goes into your EV. It is this imbalance that will shift the value of what you sell vs what you buy. Texas has a lot of wind generation, there have been numerous times where the power grid charged people to generate (negative value) because the grid became unbalanced : supply vs. load. The value of wind energy during those events was a negative number. Socal solar is headed in this direction, and in most cases the utilities have the right to refuse to buy your power, or to charge you a fee for making it.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      01-08-2023, 04:18 PM   #1113
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Hybrids really seem like the realistic answer for the next 15-20 years. Let the battery technology get better, more power stations, improve the grid..........but we all know that's reasonable so it won't happen.
I have a 2018 530e (PHEV) and if I don't use heating or cooling for the short drive, I can get around 25km winter, and 30km summer. If I run HVAC then it's 15-20km all year round. By preconditioning the vehicle I generally don't have to use HVAC for a short drive.

Charging at home and charging for free (generally) at the stores makes it worth while. Most errands are within the 20km range one way, and so it's the same as owning an EV for me. But the best part is, if the charger doesn't work or if I'm going cross-country then I don't have to plug it in, I can just use gasoline.

If BMW could build a nice PHEV with double this range I don't see a reason to ever purchase an EV because other than road-trips there's no damn difference other than the PHEV having fewer headaches.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #1114
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
So your use of electricity to charge your EV and your power generated from your solar system are separated. You are selling power you aren't using during the day, and having to buy someone else's power when you charge at night. When you add an EV load to the equation that is a lot of load , it will become an unbalanced relationship. Having solar doesn't fix that. Socal is going to become saturated with Solar soon at this rate. The value of the power you are selling will drop, and the cost of "someone else's power" at night will increase.

Not trying to argue, just pointing out that the rationale for "solar will solve the EV load" is not a very good position now, and will be even worse in the long run. It still requires "someone else" to make the power that goes into your EV. It is this imbalance that will shift the value of what you sell vs what you buy. Texas has a lot of wind generation, there have been numerous times where the power grid charged people to generate (negative value) because the grid became unbalanced : supply vs. load. The value of wind energy during those events was a negative number. Socal solar is headed in this direction, and in most cases the utilities have the right to refuse to buy your power, or to charge you a fee for making it.
I don't think you get what I'm saying...I'm simply saying since I have solar my electric bills are very low if any...charging an EV in the dead of night at low peak hours isn't going to effect me much...My neighbor has two EV's and says his bills didn't go up dramatically and he doesn't even have solar....so compared to the $4.50 a gal of gas around here it would be nice not to spend $70-100 every time I fill up

btw, can't compare California to Texas when it comes to utilities ...Texas is notorious for having some of the shadiest energy companies in the US

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 01-08-2023 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      01-08-2023, 04:33 PM   #1115
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you get what I'm saying...I'm simply saying since I have solar my electric bills are very low if any...charging an EV in the dead of night at low peak hours isn't going to effect me much...My neighbor has two EV's and says his bills didn't go up dramatically and he doesn't even have solar....so compared to the $4.50 a gal of gas around here it would be nice not to spend $70-100 every time I fill up

btw, can't compare California to Texas when it comes to utilities ...Texas is notorious for having some of the shadiest energy companies in the US
I'm curious about the cost to install vs return on investment. We were looking at doing solar but the upfront cost is $40K+ CAD, that takes a very long time to recover at about $2400 a year usage now.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 04:43 PM   #1116
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I'm curious about the cost to install vs return on investment. We were looking at doing solar but the upfront cost is $40K+ CAD, that takes a very long time to recover at about $2400 a year usage now.

we got lucky several years ago...we did a $0 20 year lease.

they came out and put a 27 panel system on our 3250 sq ft home which was about a $40,000 system and I didn't pay one cent.

We now pay SunRun a set fee payment at much lower than our old regular electric bill from Edison which goes up 2% a year and what ever we use from Edison which is give or take $50 a year ...Not sure if they still offer the same deals anymore these days, but it has saved us a lot of money since we did it almost 10 years ago....It's sunny here about 300 days a year so it's worked out great for us

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 01-08-2023 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2023, 04:50 PM   #1117
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Expect the cost of off peak to go up, and the value of what you are selling to go down.

Just like gas prices, power is a commodity. Its pricing is dictated by market conditions. The market is changing rapidly.

The devaluation of residential solar generation has already begun, and has been codified in the law:

California Decreases Value of Home Solar Energy to the Grid
https://www.independent.com/2022/12/...y-to-the-grid/

The California Public Utilities Commission today overhauled the state’s rooftop solar regulations, reducing payments to homeowners for excess power
https://calmatters.org/environment/2...es-overhauled/

Quote:
I'm not comparing grids, I'm comparing supply/demand economic realities. When you are selling what everyone is selling, and buying what everyone is buying, you get economically shafted coming and going. This fact doesn't care where you live.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 05:01 PM   #1118
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
we got lucky several years ago...we did a $0 20 year lease.

they came out and put a 27 panel system on our 3250 sq ft home which was about a $40,000 system and I didn't pay one cent.

We now pay SunRun a set fee payment at much lower than our old regular electric bill from Edison which goes up 2% a year and what ever we use from Edison which is give or take $50 a year ...Not sure if they still offer the same deals anymore these days, but it has saved us a lot of money since we did it almost 10 years ago....It's sunny here about 300 days a year so it's worked out great for us
That's great, but not the reality for most. We elected to go for a heat pump that I'm told runs for about $1 a day (we'll see) and for the most part will relieve us of using propane to heat on most except the colder days, below -10C, if propane gets much more expensive the heat pump can be adjusted to accommodate -20C. I frankly don't see solar or wind being a viable solution either on a residential or industrial scale for a great many places based on weather and geography.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 05:02 PM   #1119
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Expect the cost of off peak to go up, and the value of what you are selling to go down.

Just like gas prices, power is a commodity. Its pricing is dictated by market conditions. The market is changing rapidly.

The devaluation of residential solar generation has already begun, and has been codified in the law:

California Decreases Value of Home Solar Energy to the Grid
https://www.independent.com/2022/12/...y-to-the-grid/

The California Public Utilities Commission today overhauled the state’s rooftop solar regulations, reducing payments to homeowners for excess power

I'm not comparing grids, I'm comparing supply/demand economic realities. When you are selling what everyone is selling, and buying what everyone is buying, you get economically shafted coming and going. This fact doesn't care where you live.
yeah, things got ugly here recently when it came to solar vs the electric companies..luckily they protected the existing solar customers and put new rules in for new customers. which is pretty messed up and will kill the solar companies and a lot of jobs unless they somehow win in a court battle

at the end of the day, I'm still very happy with solar and how much it has saved us... with two AC units and a pool we were getting $500 bills in the hot days of summer before we went solar.

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 01-08-2023 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1596.00
      01-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #1120
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
I’m having a hard deciding between a 2021 X7 m50i fully loaded I just found or ordering a Rivian R1S. What to do…what to do? I am sure the Rivian would be much more reliable since it has less moving parts. The unfortunate is the Rivian not having CarPlay and proper door bins that the Bimmer has done well. Has anyone compared the seat comfort of the Rivian compared to the X5 or X7 merino package or even the Bimmer Vernasca seats?
I drove an R1T yesterday, it was nice. Can't say I felt "luxury". I don't consider a Rivian a luxury vehicle in the same sense as an X7, ignoring powertrain. An X7 with V8 is nothing at all like a startup company EV regardless of price point.

The best thing Rivians have going for them in my view is appearance. I do like the exterior and interior design aesthetics. They are nothing special as far as EVs go in terms of battery life, battery technology or drivetrain technology. It's all me-too stuff like any other EV. Not unique and not compelling. They have a big iPad stuck to the instrument panel, and a smaller one in front of the steering wheel. Idiotic Tesla copycat that MB has also followed. I think the BMW CEO is predicting "big screens" to soon be a thing of the past. Thankfully.

EVs skimp everywhere they can (for example door bins) to minimize weight. A clear example of this is in the interior. The R1T has vegan leather, what a joke. Vinyl is lighter than real leather, for example as you indicated a preference for Merino or Vernasca.

I was impressed to see 4 corner air suspension on the R1T. Makes for a nice ride but with a cost. Weight is likely neutral because they are using aluminum suspension components compared with steel springs and solid (heavy) beam rear axle. Given the industry's travails with air suspension through the years, one can only imagine how a startup company's air ride will fare.

My wife has Vernasca in her G01. It looks nice and smells nice. It is comfortable over day-long (8 hrs) drives. However it is not as nice as the standard leather in my Cayenne, which is more supple and luxurious feeling. I think the issue is not the Vernasca, but that the BMW sport seats in the G01 xDrive are not deeply cushioned and are dimensionally somewhat small. Compared to, for example, standard seats in a W166 MB GLE or the 9Y0 Cayenne.

No CarPlay is a joke also. I don't use CarPlay but everyone in my family does. Rivian failed on that one, also the vinyl-only interior.

In summary, X7 M50i vs R1S is apples vs oranges. If you are considering a V8 you will be sorely disappointed with the beta product which is the R1S.

Last edited by chassis; 01-08-2023 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #1121
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
The best thing Rivians have going for them in my view is appearance. I do like the exterior and interior design aesthetics. They are nothing special as far as EVs go in terms of battery life, battery technology or drivetrain technology. It's all me-too stuff like any other EV.
Actually their EV offerings are by far the most unique in EV market. They are the only EV company selling quad motor EVs, besides Rimac and $2mill+ Nevera. Quad motor is the future of awd vehicles, it will have almost endless possibilities being able to control torque individually per wheel. No one else platform and drivetrain is anywhere near them to be honest.

Last edited by M3WC; 01-08-2023 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 4
chassis6373.50
BigHunk269.50
chris7197273.00
      01-09-2023, 11:24 AM   #1122
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Actually their EV offerings are by far the most unique in EV market. They are the only EV company selling quad motor EVs, besides Rimac and $2mill+ Nevera. Quad motor is the future of awd vehicles, it will have almost endless possibilities being able to control torque individually per wheel. No one else platform and drivetrain is anywhere near them to be honest.
Quad motors are good medicine, agree. The Lordstown Endurance has 4x wheel motors. Have a read about the BYD U8 SUV.
Appreciate 0