New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #595
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Last week. Pumped some E98. I don't need the fancy electric one.
You're special. You know that already.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
RM72870.00
x622925.00
      10-28-2022, 11:15 AM   #596
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
I know in places like Florida, that is Hurricane prone. Since 2005 gas stations were required to have transfer switch and generator to keep gas pumping after storms.
That's a pretty damn good idea. But that problem is REAL. Grid goes down, you got an EV and solar panels, you're still good.

Look, everybody, fossil fuels will eventually HAVE to go up in price. They will eventually run out (sure it could be a long time, but so). Are EV's the cure all end all? Of course not. But, when an EV run off electricity from a generator using fossil fuel gets better mileage than a fossil fuel car, we have to recognize that it's got a chance to be better over time. Better batteries, better chargers, better distribution network, whatever. Just saying "I'm staying static and never changing anything" just isn't productive.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:30 AM   #597
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
You have never seen a Tesla before? They should have named it "Plain" as opposed to "Plaid".

When I drop my kids off at school, it looks a bit like this:

I wanna see his. You do know teslas are customizable just like other cars right?

Oh yeah I forgot it’s a Tesla so people will say anything to talk shit about it.

Oh man the future is gonna be fun lmao
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:32 AM   #598
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
That's a pretty damn good idea. But that problem is REAL. Grid goes down, you got an EV and solar panels, you're still good.

Look, everybody, fossil fuels will eventually HAVE to go up in price. They will eventually run out (sure it could be a long time, but so). Are EV's the cure all end all? Of course not. But, when an EV run off electricity from a generator using fossil fuel gets better mileage than a fossil fuel car, we have to recognize that it's got a chance to be better over time. Better batteries, better chargers, better distribution network, whatever. Just saying "I'm staying static and never changing anything" just isn't productive.

Shawn
Are you convinced that price has to go up? What happens when the next tranche of hydrocarbons is found (e.g. Marcellus, Utica, Bakken)? What will happen to price at that point?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:57 AM   #599
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Are you convinced that price has to go up? What happens when the next tranche of hydrocarbons is found (e.g. Marcellus, Utica, Bakken)? What will happen to price at that point?
"eventually", yes. Unless we find an alternative source of energy (fusion, super efficient solar, etc.) as it gets used up, it will. Question is when not if.

I mean, it can go down "transiently", but compare 1929 gasoline ($0.21) to now, and you see what I mean. It just isn't avoidable. We can make due for a while, but how long?

Nobody knows.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #600
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
You're special. You know that already.

Shawn

I wonder how many people how drums of E in their garage. Then I look at my buddies wife, tiny house but they HAVE to have a horse.

Car people are really just modern horse people
      10-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #601
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
"eventually", yes. Unless we find an alternative source of energy (fusion, super efficient solar, etc.) as it gets used up, it will. Question is when not if.

I mean, it can go down "transiently", but compare 1929 gasoline ($0.21) to now, and you see what I mean. It just isn't avoidable. We can make due for a while, but how long?

Nobody knows.

Shawn
Using an inflation calculator:
$0.21 in 1929 is $3.65 in 2022

Current national fuel price this week is $3.77, and $0.53 is taxes
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #602
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post

I wonder how many people how drums of E in their garage. Then I look at my buddies wife, tiny house but they HAVE to have a horse.

Car people are really just modern horse people
There's a few. The unavailability of E85 near my house affected my tuning on my GT-R, and now.

I ain't sittin on a barrel of explosive fluid in my garage. The tracks I go to don't let you store fuel in the garages. There's a reason for that.

But I digress. The point is "we're quirky". Yes.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      10-28-2022, 12:30 PM   #603
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Using an inflation calculator:
$0.21 in 1929 is $3.65 in 2022

Current national fuel price this week is $3.77
Dude.

"Facts" don't matter. People don't give a shit about reality. Number on the pump goes up, they don't care that the price is the same as 1929. They'll put a "I did that" Biden sticker next to it.

Despite the fact that it went up in China as well.

People who live in America lose their shit when instant coffee takes longer than 30 seconds in a microwave, don't believe in climate change, and pretend that crime now is worse than it was in 1988.

*I* see what you're saying. No one else cares.

Shawn
Appreciate 5
RM72870.00
chris7197273.00
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
kyriian872.00
      10-28-2022, 03:02 PM   #604
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If your source for the diesel-charged EV data was the article about an Australian test between charging a Tesla Model S vs. a diesel Volvo, the fuel savings was just 11.5 ounces of diesel, or 7.1% better MPG over the 65-mile test. The Tesla was charged from a very large 30KW diesel generator (not many people have one...). Charge the Tesla from a (extinct) diesel power generation plant through the US national grid with an estimated average 11% transmission loss and it's a different outcome.
But you see the point. I think gasoline is also very very close (gasoline turbine). And, although the dirtiest possible source, coal, I'll bet emission for emission, that coal electric generation would cause less emissions from the electric car than a gasoline car of similar size and performance.

Again, not that EVERY car can be EV right this very second, but the new cars are certainly competitive for a lot of people who what they need is a toaster to get them to and from work every day. EV's have their place, just like mini-pickups. They aren't everything to everybody.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 04:26 PM   #605
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:

Nobody knows.

Shawn
Agreed. Nobody knows. Nobody knows if there are 50 years of hydrocarbon supply remaining, or 50,000 years remaining. Has any government legislated against new hydrocarbon exploration? Is any government proposing to legislate against new hydrocarbon exploration?
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      10-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #606
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Ah man i can't wait for a couple of more years lol. Just wait and see.

If this account gets banned i'll be back so i can post this.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #607
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
I wanna see his. You do know teslas are customizable just like other cars right?

Oh yeah I forgot it’s a Tesla so people will say anything to talk shit about it.

Oh man the future is gonna be fun lmao
I don't think anyone has gotten that memo yet. Each one I see are one of three colors: white, grey or black.

It used to be just the haters talking trash about Tesla. What's great is now even the fanboizzz are starting to talk trash. Good to see the tide turning there!

Have a guy at work. Massive Tesla dork. Has the small egg car and then the small egg SUV. Even wears at Tesla hat. The worst! He saw the i4 and fell in love. Bye bye Teslas, welcome to BMW!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 05:02 PM   #608
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think anyone has gotten that memo yet. Each one I see are one of three colors: white, grey or black.

It used to be just the haters talking trash about Tesla. What's great is now even the fanboizzz are starting to talk trash. Good to see the tide turning there!

Have a guy at work. Massive Tesla dork. Has the small egg car and then the small egg SUV. Even wears at Tesla hat. The worst! He saw the i4 and fell in love. Bye bye Teslas, welcome to BMW!

Whenever i see M cars, it's usually driven by dickheads. The common colors are TB, SPY and DG. So i guess it's a tie there. Nothing special. And i have an M3.

What's great about the EV war currently is that let's use your dorky friend's situation. He has 2 of the top selling EV's for tesla, and probably of all EV's i have to check. Yet saw an I4, which is inferior and wants to go that route? I won't say you're lying, even though you probably are because there's no way for me to prove you're not lying.

But think of it this way. On paper and price the tesla is the better bang for buck. Faster, cheaper and a better network. This pattern is going to continue for a while. Meanwhile the I4 isn't even on a proper EV platform. At least wait until BMW builds that from the ground up as an EV, then we can compare it to a tesla rival.

FOr now, your dorky friend is basically looking at a basic ass 3 series interior, with an inferior powertrain all around it lol.

I guess congrats to him for making the switch lol
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #609
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:

Whenever i see M cars, it's usually driven by dickheads. The common colors are TB, SPY and DG. So i guess it's a tie there. Nothing special. And i have an M3.

What's great about the EV war currently is that let's use your dorky friend's situation. He has 2 of the top selling EV's for tesla, and probably of all EV's i have to check. Yet saw an I4, which is inferior and wants to go that route? I won't say you're lying, even though you probably are because there's no way for me to prove you're not lying.

But think of it this way. On paper and price the tesla is the better bang for buck. Faster, cheaper and a better network. This pattern is going to continue for a while. Meanwhile the I4 isn't even on a proper EV platform. At least wait until BMW builds that from the ground up as an EV, then we can compare it to a tesla rival.

FOr now, your dorky friend is basically looking at a basic ass 3 series interior, with an inferior powertrain all around it lol.

Says the king dickhead who drives an M3.🙄😵*💫
Appreciate 6
chad86tsi1596.00
Cos270608.50
x622925.00
nicholasn261.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      10-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #610
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I'm lying only due to the fact there's no way you cannot prove I'm not lying? Bit strange.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      10-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #611
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm lying only due to the fact there's no way you cannot prove I'm not lying? Bit strange.
I'll help you.

My friend rented an I4 off turo. He said it was slow and it didn't drive well. He drove my model 3 long range and said that was the EV he was going to get as his first EV.

Understand now?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 05:52 PM   #612
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'll help you.

My friend rented an I4 off turo. He said it was slow and it didn't drive well. He drove my model 3 long range and said that was the EV he was going to get as his first EV.

Understand now?
My comment had nothing to do with BMWs, Teslas or EVs. Mind re-reading what I wrote?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #613
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My comment had nothing to do with BMWs, Teslas or EVs. Mind re-reading what I wrote?
I'm in the twilight zone then.

Quote:

Sure looks like everything you said it had nothing to do with, had something to do with.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 10:30 PM   #614
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the twilight zone then.

Sure looks like everything you said it had nothing to do with, had something to do with.
You are missing my point completely, but that's OK. I bet it's been a long week for you. Get some rest and enjoy the weekend!
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7833.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
Cos270608.50
      10-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #615
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are missing my point completely, but that's OK. I bet it's been a long week for you. Get some rest and enjoy the weekend!
A classic response when someone gets buried.

Enjoy the weekend bro!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 01:43 PM   #616
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:

Shawn
The problem is most people don't have solar panels. I know this is particular to my state, but we don't get paid/credit for any excess energy put back into the grid during the day.

So essentially you're trading a utility payment for a loan payment on solar panels. Which adds another wrinkle. If you go to sell your house before the solar loan is paid off, most mortgages won't take on that additional lien, so you have to use any equity at closing to pay it off.

I also noted an updated amendment in my HO policy for this renewal. They will no longer cover the removal and reinstallation of solar panels if the roof needs to be replaced.

A lot of you in this thread talk about LITERALLY how you own hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cars. That is so far above the lifestyle of the average citizen.

I think some of you tend to live in a bubble about this is type of stuff. The per household median income in the US is $70k. These aren't typically people that own homes, can buy a $30k solar panel setup, and a $50k+ EV.
Appreciate 6
chad86tsi1596.00
Cos270608.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
lakefront560.50
kyriian872.00