New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #1145
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
IF it succeeded and IF ev an was your only means.

"High-altitude balloons, such as the one China has floated over mountain state military bases this week, are considered a key “delivery platform” for secret nuclear strikes on America’s electric grid, according to intelligence officials."

Uhhh, the wind blew it over there. That's the ticket!
That's a lot of ifs.

I'll give you credit though. Typically it's the same old boring crap. They are not green, I can't drive cross country on one charge, I just hate them cause I'm kewl. But China nukes... that's a new one. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:03 PM   #1146
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

i actually do want an EV actually ...

was fooling around with the M340i this morning.

the thing does not move until it hits 4000rpm

i swear my Nissan leaf takes off better

obviously if I owned a race track gas is the way to go but on public roads if you want to keep it legal there isn't much happening for a while when i mash the gas pedal, then when the pull comes i'm already almost at the speed limit.

can't have everything!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #1147
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
IF it succeeded and IF an EV was your only means.

"High-altitude balloons, such as the one China has floated over mountain state military bases this week, are considered a key “delivery platform” for secret nuclear strikes on America’s electric grid, according to intelligence officials."

Uhhh, the wind blew it over there. That's the ticket!
The Chinese don't need nukes or fancy balloons to cripple our grid. A couple idiots with rifles have already done that something like 3 times in the past year. ALL of the infrastructure of every kind virtually everywhere is vulnerable to simple sabotage, it's just a fact of life.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 02:33 PM   #1148
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i actually do want an EV actually ...

was fooling around with the M340i this morning.

the thing does not move until it hits 4000rpm

i swear my Nissan leaf takes off better

obviously if I owned a race track gas is the way to go but on public roads if you want to keep it legal there isn't much happening for a while when i mash the gas pedal, then when the pull comes i'm already almost at the speed limit.

can't have everything!
If your M340i doesn't move until 4000 RPM you should take it to the dealer. Your Leaf shouldn't be able to win except maybe 0-10 mph.

EVs are definitely faster off the line than most ICE cars, but they feel much faster than they are at most speeds. I learned long ago from a professor I had from the ME dept that worked with Michelin: the butt dyno is commonly thought to be acceleration, but it is more accurately described by jerk, which is the derivative of acceleration.

Last edited by chris719; 02-03-2023 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
RM72870.00
      02-03-2023, 03:54 PM   #1149
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
If your M340i doesn't move until 4000 RPM you should take it to the dealer. Your Leaf shouldn't be able to win except maybe 0-10 mph.

EVs are definitely faster off the line than most ICE cars, but they feel much faster than they are at most speeds. I learned long ago from a professor I had from the ME dept that worked with Michelin: the butt dyno is commonly thought to be acceleration, but it is more accurately described by jerk, which is the derivative of acceleration.
It’s the torque that gives the sensation of speed. Some standard range model 3 owners think they drive plaids. Yet the car does 0-60 in just under 6 seconds.

Ev’s are amazing when you want to exploit gaps in traffic or want to take someone off a light. I get them all the time in my model 3.
      02-04-2023, 02:35 AM   #1150
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

well the deed is done!!

sold my 428 and ordered a low mile pre owned Model 3 Performance from Tesla at an amazing price....

I have never even driven the Performance model, but did test drive the long range version and was blown away by how fast that thing was...
so I can't imagine how fast the M3P is gonna feel

I can not wait for my delivery date some time early next week!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-04-2023, 07:54 AM   #1151
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
well the deed is done!!

sold my 428 and ordered a low mile pre owned Model 3 Performance from Tesla at an amazing price....

I have never even driven the Performance model, but did test drive the long range version and was blown away by how fast that thing was...
so I can't imagine how fast the M3P is gonna feel

I can not wait for my delivery date some time early next week!!!

You’re going to love it!!!

Btw car wow has a video of a long range vs performance and the performance is def faster off the line but when they did roll races the long range pulled on the performance lol

I was surprised although I don’t think he stated SOC for the cars.

I know the long range can run 12.1-12.2 with AB but some people have done it without. The performance runs the same time as stock g8x cars lmaoooo
      02-04-2023, 11:37 AM   #1152
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
You’re going to love it!!!

Btw car wow has a video of a long range vs performance and the performance is def faster off the line but when they did roll races the long range pulled on the performance lol

I was surprised although I don’t think he stated SOC for the cars.

I know the long range can run 12.1-12.2 with AB but some people have done it without. The performance runs the same time as stock g8x cars lmaoooo
Yeah, I can't wait!

The M3P is about a full second faster than the M3LR in 0-60 and 1/4 mile so I cant imagine how fast it is going to feel and a full two seconds faster than the 428i it is replacing ...

There are very very few cars on the road that will beat it in 0-60 and off the line
and I was very impressed at how well they handle also ...dollar for dollar it is incomparable for its speed, handling and tech.

It will be very interesting to compare it to my 718 on some near by canyons.
Imho, people who hate on these cars have obviously never driven one or maybe only driven a much slower version like the standard range trim...I am a huge car enthusiast who can appreciate the fun factor of the driving experience without bias and will enjoy the shit out of this car
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 12:28 PM   #1153
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

I’m 52 years old and all I can hear is my mother’s voice saying “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”. But then I feel like I’m in the twilight zone when I read posts like the one above. Then I freak out and I hear my mothers quote again. Lol. Then I wonder what forum on. And I freak out and remember my mothers quote again. The world has gone crazy.

I ask everyone this question though. Isn’t part of being a car enthusiast actually enjoying what your vehicle looks like? I mean look at all the people throwing a temper tantrum about the front of the G80. What the hell is that compared to the way entire Teslas look? I don’t care if it could do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. They ugly. How is there enthusiasm in that? I think I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Appreciate 4
chassis6373.50
M5Rick58873.50
Cos270608.50
KRS_SN13100.00
      02-04-2023, 01:10 PM   #1154
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’m 52 years old and all I can hear is my mother’s voice saying “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”. But then I feel like I’m in the twilight zone when I read posts like the one above. Then I freak out and I hear my mothers quote again. Lol. Then I wonder what forum on. And I freak out and remember my mothers quote again. The world has gone crazy.

I ask everyone this question though. Isn’t part of being a car enthusiast actually enjoying what your vehicle looks like? I mean look at all the people throwing a temper tantrum about the front of the G80. What the hell is that compared to the way entire Teslas look? I don’t care if it could do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. They ugly. How is there enthusiasm in that? I think I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Ugly and not luxurious. 0-60 has diminishing utility beyond a certain point. And EVs won’t save the planet, whether or not the planet in fact needs saving.
Appreciate 5
Patton2502936.50
Cos270608.50
KRS_SN13100.00
MmmmmM22578.00
      02-04-2023, 01:16 PM   #1155
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I can't wait!

The M3P is about a full second faster than the M3LR in 0-60 and 1/4 mile so I cant imagine how fast it is going to feel and a full two seconds faster than the 428i it is replacing ...

There are very very few cars on the road that will beat it in 0-60 and off the line
and I was very impressed at how well they handle also ...dollar for dollar it is incomparable for its speed, handling and tech.

It will be very interesting to compare it to my 718 on some near by canyons.
Imho, people who hate on these cars have obviously never driven one or maybe only driven a much slower version like the standard range trim...I am a huge car enthusiast who can appreciate the fun factor of the driving experience without bias and will enjoy the shit out of this car
No one tries to take my tesla from a light. I guess it's because most of them know how capable they are from launching themselves from a stop. Even though i'm sure lots of them have no clue what the difference is between a standard range, long range or performance etc.

But daily driving the car gives you so much confidence because you feel like you're in constant cheat mode. You can take gaps you normally wouldn't in an ICE car. If you're at a light but in the wrong lane, you know you'll take anyone who's next to you. Not to mention how peaceful everyday is when commuting.

It's the fucking greatest. Some day these people will learn. Because they'll be "forced" to accept this

Let's go EV!
      02-04-2023, 01:19 PM   #1156
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:

yes, you're last sentence I think explains everything...

I think the back end of the Model 3 is its best view and that's what most people would see anyways

In all seriousness, looks are very important to me and my F32 was a stunner, but it just that the M3P is on a whole other level or two when it comes to the
"holy f---" factor you get from a car that does sub 3.5 0-60's and just like all cars looks are subjective ...I agree that a standard range with the lame hubcaps at stock hight isn't much to look at, but many would say the same thing about the entire G series of cars

The Performance model with its lower suspension and wheels is much better looking than the standard range, but you put the right wheels and stance on any car and they can look good....even the G series
(except the 7 series, there is no saving that one)

here are some examples of what a proper stance and right wheels can do for a car

Attached Images

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 02-04-2023 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 4
      02-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #1157
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Ugly and not luxurious. 0-60 has diminishing utility beyond a certain point. And EVs won’t save the planet, whether or not the planet in fact needs saving.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... many people think the Porsche Cayenne is a travesty, but people buy them
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16941.50
chris7197271.50
chassis6373.50
      02-04-2023, 02:53 PM   #1158
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Can always put a fake transfer of a grille on the blank front to give it at least some character.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 07:12 AM   #1159
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... many people think the Porsche Cayenne is a travesty, but people buy them
People think the Ferrari f50 is one of the most beautiful cars and that shit looks like a pile of shit.

How can people say the model 3 is ugly, especially if they own a g8x car. I have both and the g80 isn’t a good looking car. The side profile is its best feature imo.
      02-05-2023, 07:37 AM   #1160
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
People think the Ferrari f50 is one of the most beautiful cars and that shit looks like a pile of shit.

How can people say the model 3 is ugly, especially if they own a g8x car. I have both and the g80 isn’t a good looking car. The side profile is its best feature imo.
Well, you are obviously are in the minority on that. It’s the number one selling M3 of all time. As an outsider, I think the G 80 is incredibly beautiful from all angles. Most people I know do also. As far as Tesla goes, most people, I ask, don’t have an opinion either way only those in the fad seem to have opinions on them. I also don’t think it’s just Tesla that’s ugly. Every freaking fully electric vehicle I have seen on the market with the exception of this really awesome looking Audi are all ugly as shit. It’s almost as if they set ugly as a guideline for all electric vehicles.

Now this is a good looking EV. If I didn’t already have an M5 on its way, I might look at getting this Audi. I suspect it’s well-built also unlike Tesla.
https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo.../overview.html
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 07:44 AM   #1161
M5Rick
General
Rep

0-60 times and looks apart lets look at the bigger picture and you know about this already but it's easy close your eyes to it.
https://www.newsweek.com/2023/02/10/...t-1775172.html
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2023, 07:48 AM   #1162
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
0-60 times and looks apart lets look at the bigger picture and you know about this already but it's easy close your eyes to it.
https://www.newsweek.com/2023/02/10/...t-1775172.html
Brother, I really don’t think the elites that pass laws forcing EV’s on people and the elites who support their brothers passing these laws really give a crap about situations like this article. Why? For the same reason they don’t care about illegal immigration in the United States. If it doesn’t directly affect them, and it doesn’t, then what do they care? Remember, as far as the elites are concerned, it’s only hypocrisy if there is a common point of reference. In this case there isn’t. So they are in the clear.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16941.50
      02-05-2023, 08:24 AM   #1163
NikMN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 n63tu

Tesla and MySpace have something in common
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 08:36 AM   #1164
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Brother, I really don’t think the elites that pass laws forcing EV’s on people and the elites who support their brothers passing these laws really give a crap about situations like this article. Why? For the same reason they don’t care about illegal immigration in the United States. If it doesn’t directly affect them, and it doesn’t, then what do they care? Remember, as far as the elites are concerned, it’s only hypocrisy if there is a common point of reference. In this case there isn’t. So they are in the clear.
From a laymans view I don't know and don't care about a common interest just to suit the 'elites' portfolio but it's a big point of interest which I'm sure will jolt consumers to vote with their feet.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 09:03 AM   #1165
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
From a laymans view I don't know and don't care about a common interest just to suit the 'elites' portfolio but it's a big point of interest which I'm sure will jolt consumers to vote with their feet.
I don’t know. Maybe. Current history that we could look at with somewhat similar situation’s says you’re wrong.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      02-05-2023, 09:13 AM   #1166
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I don’t know. Maybe. Current history that we could look at with somewhat similar situation’s says you’re wrong.
It may be or not but times are changing and more people are making life style choices dependent on third world matters.
Appreciate 2