New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #67
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Interesting post on a 1er forum.
The discussion was around a possible M1 variant on the horizon.
The quote from a marketing insider also relates to the Z4......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
scott works as some sort of marketing graphics designer for bmw out of munich. hes not specifically working on the coupe presentation but is working on presentations for the 1er Cabrio, MINI Clubman, M3 cabrio and X6. to be honest im sure he says more than hes supposed to so dont expect him to give you his resume and office phone number. he is in the know, at least more so than you or i - and his track record is good.

and speaking of which i paraphrased this quote earlier in this thread but this is a post of his from the beginning of april. pretty good for a time when none of us had any idea whats going on wouldnt you say?

there will be an M1, mark my (scotts?) words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
As we are officially in the approach path of the new BMW 1er Coupe.

There are 4 Core reasons why there is a strategy that exists for a BMW M1 Coupe.

One.- With the M3 Coupe now inheriting a V8 and moving up a segment. Their is belief that there is space for a BMW M1 Coupe and the 1er looks set to be the occupant for this vacancy. BMW engineers are in no denial about having something "back to basics" a very hardcore driving experience with a high revving engine sufficient power and astounding dynamics .

Two.- With the BMW 1er Coupe being developed for certain key markets such as North America and Canada , BMW need a car with the Halo effect to sell the image of the BMW 1er Coupe. it is no secret that customers begin from the basic models and work themselves to the top of BMW's product list - effectively by having an aspiring model that provides the halo effect to the rest of the range. That is the key to successful marketing - A BMW M car has a very profound effect thanks to it's status , desirability and image on the other models of BMW's model range. A BMW M1 Coupe is entirely essential in order for the 1er to win over the North American and Canadian market and the these markets would certainly require an M model of the BMW 1er coupe.

Three.- It is an opportunity far too great to miss. A return to a dynamic , entertaining and fun compact performance car in the vain of the classic E30 M3.
All BMW Coupes from the 3er to the 6er have come in an M variant. And plans are much proceeding in the direction for a BMW M1 Coupe.

Four . Until the next generation model arrives The M1 Will effectively replace the current Z4M Coupe . By late 2008 the next generation Z4 will be about to enter production for first market North American sales. As a last finale current Z4 M Coupe will receive the V8 engine from the M3 . Until the next Coupe arrives on the market.
The M1 will plug the gap until the next generation models arrive more in likely with the BMW M3's V8.

One of the earliest strategies was when the V10 was being used to develop the new BMW M3 V8 engine that they considered using the V8 to develop the engine for the M1 Coupe. Unrealistically this would be a V6 but this was quickly dismissed as BMW does not pose a healthy attitude to V6 engines instead enjoying the smooth transition of power you can only get with six-cylinder power.
The new engine under development heralds from a new magnesium block evolved from the engine of the previous BMW M3 and the current BMW Z4M Coupe and Roadster.
As the engine does not incorporate areas of technology BMW are keen to utilise in their "Efficient Dynamics" programme. Basically it is technology that was not considered when that engine was first conceived in the mid nineties.
The Old engine effectively gets a rebuild to utilise modern energy management technology and achieve stringent emission targets.

As well as a manual to really emphasize the passion of the "drivers M3" The E30 The M1 will also be available with the incoming ZSG gear box technology. The engine output is expected to be around 350 PS - development mules have already hit the streets.
Effectively BMW need this car to stabilise the image of the lower Coupe and Cabrio models especially in the North American and Canadian market.

The BMW M1 Coupe will certainly inherit some of it's toned looks and technologies seen with the other M cars available and ones around the corner. BMW always stress that it's M Division cars are not just tuned-up performance versions of the top end luxury models. every M car is different from steering to handling to chassis tuning and performance. An Mcar is greater than the sum of it's parts.

The BMW M1 will follow these ideals by also offering cutting edge developments such as the Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic roof , lightweight body panels and aerodynamic M styling treatment. With styling taking a cue with the new BMW M3 Coupe but with the front appearance becoming more angular with a trapese shape for the central intake.

Initially available as only a Coupe and a Convertible BMW are seriously considering throwing the 3dr hatch into the mix - Although if greenlighted this would be for European/Asian markets only.

Until such a car as the M1 arrives in the meantime BMW will offer a Ltd edition 135i M-Sport - Confined to only the Coupe and 3dr Hatch only this will be the gap until the M1 comes along. To emphasize the sporting credentials of the Coupe the base petrol model will be the 120 Si using the four cylinder petrol engine that was in the limited edition BMW 320Si WTCC Car.

Additionally BMW will eventually offer the BMW/PSA co-operation of the incoming four cylinder Turbo charged model . Although the collaboration has frightened many there is nothing to be apprehensive about - Both companies applie their special requirements and "magic" to their project.
With the BMW project promising "best in it's class" credentials - BMW engine development engineers just don't like winning many awards for nothing.
The same goes for diesel - Now equally well renowned for their diesel powerplants as well as their petrol powered powerplants BMW will again offer the cream of diesel power including the latest 204HP diesel in the 125d.

'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #68
deviated
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0 Si

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im soooo pissed off. They called me about the survey conducted by an independent group for BMW. They told me I was not eligible once I told them(proudly) that I own a bodyshop. Im the most dumbest POS in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The poster would know im telling the truth because the pay to do the survey is $150.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #69
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
Where did you get this pic from, Rick? It looks amazing. If this is the next Zed, then I'm gonna start saving up right now!
That blue car looks Lambo-like because it is a Lamborghini - it's a Lamborghini Gallardo photoshopped in Maldives Blue with some BMW accents added (an E90 grill and headlights, stretched a bit). It was an "artist's rendering" of a Z10 on the cover of Autocar a couple years ago. It's been kicking around ever since.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #70
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Very interesting post!

Does the prototype look anything like this?

Hmmm, that one looks kinda like the Z6 concept shown here:
http://www.bmwfaqs.com/2009-z6-concept.html

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #71
threeOZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 Sport, Prem, Conv

I agree, the Z4 is unique. It's an ultra modern interpretation of the classic sports roadster. Long hood, short trunk, minimal overhangs on the front and rear. Look at the old Austin-Healys, Jags, AC Cobras, etc.

Mark my words, hear me now and believe me later, in 20 years the Z4 is going to be a true CLASSIC. Sometimes I just want to bag it and park it for later, but I love driving it. Chances are that 20 years from now restoration materials will be hard to come by. Not like a mid-year 'Vette. I think I'm gonna buy another one just to have it later.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #72
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeOZ View Post
Mark my words, hear me now and believe me later, in 20 years the Z4 is going to be a true CLASSIC. Sometimes I just want to bag it and park it for later, but I love driving it. Chances are that 20 years from now restoration materials will be hard to come by.
I've thought about this as well. Mechanical bits will be easy, since the car is based on the very common E46. The bodies should last alright thanks to modern rustproofing techniques and the typical car's role as 2nd or 3rd car. Twenty years from now, I don't think anyone would advise restoring a Z4 that has rust or needs bodywork.

The classic car owner that will have it hardest is the Z4 coupe owner; parts will be super thin on the ground for these. But I think even 30 years from now, the Z4 Coupe in mint condition will look wicked.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #73
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

If they put a V8 in an M Coupe in the next coupe years I will freak out.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #74
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si 6MT

Sorry guys, so far there haven't been any pics posted that looked like the prototype I saw. A few of them looked interesteding though, especially that blue one that looked like a Ferrari. I will say this though, what I saw looked a lot better, IMO of course, than any of the pics posted so far. I'm wondering though if it will ever see the light of day. Start talking to people you know that owns a Z4 and is not a member of any forums to see if they might have been a part of the event. Everyone was from the SoCal area. I hope the pics surfaces soon. Also, thinking back there seemed to be slightly more women present than men so start asking the women you see. It may give you that excuse you've been looking for.

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #75
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
If they put a V8 in an M Coupe in the next coupe years I will freak out.
that's what they did with the last M coupe

240 hp for a couple years, 315 hp for a couple years

who knows what they'll do this time
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #76
Arkay402
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW 750Li

Great posts on this topic, looking forward to seeing the car after the tantalizing descriptions.

The thing that worries me is: is BMW again adding weight and complexity to a concept that began as a light and simple roadster?

While the Miata has added a hard convertible top, I think it's kept the cloth top as an option?

I used to have an '04 SL500 and while that hard top was a paragon of engineering and vision, it was also a candidate for the Jenny Craig diet given the number of motors that were whirring away as the top opened and closed.

Plus I just don't see the concept of a weighty hard folding top suitable for a sporting roadster - a luxury car like the SL yes, but not for a Z4.

The one thing I've always admired Porsche is their dedication to keeping the curb weight animal in check...even if it's still creeping up with each consecutive generation. Looks like possibly another Boxster S for me next year...
'99 BMW M3 (Track car - 3/4 way to an IP club racer)
'06 Lexus LX 470 (Infant/Track Support Vehicle!)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #77
Arkay402
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
that's what they did with the last M coupe

240 hp for a couple years, 315 hp for a couple years

who knows what they'll do this time
This bhp explosion is really getting out of hand...across all segments.

The E63 I'd just leased on Tuesday has 507 bhp...that's a pretty crazy number.

And supposedly, AMG is planning to twin turbocharge the 6.2 litre V8 for the next generation W212 E63 to move it further away from the just announced C63.

Pretty soon, a trans warp drive will be needed in order to keep up with the German manufacturers...
'99 BMW M3 (Track car - 3/4 way to an IP club racer)
'06 Lexus LX 470 (Infant/Track Support Vehicle!)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #78
Aebous
The Rambler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 3.0l Z4 sports package

That's the American philosophy(I know spelling is wrong there) of the more horsepower the better!
      08-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #79
Stoky
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a Z4

The new Z4 look anything like these?

I know that these are not pictures of the new Z4, I was just wondering ZoomZoomer if the styling is like either of these 2 cars.

Thanks

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-cs-concept.html

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2006/08...prototype.html
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #80
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoky View Post
I know that these are not pictures of the new Z4, I was just wondering ZoomZoomer if the styling is like either of these 2 cars.

Thanks

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-cs-concept.html

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2006/08...prototype.html

Sorry, a big negative on both.

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #81
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
personally, I think we are getting to the end of this Horsepower race. This will end just like it did everytime before. And with all of the green focus right now, I think it is sooner rather than later. Just my opinion, not based on any facts.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #82
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I disagree. I actually think the HP race from the 70s ended cuz higher HP engines gulped lots more fuel. Today you have engines with higher HP and better consumption and the alternative fuels come in to play as well.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #83
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yes, but we already have more horsepower than we can realistically use....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #84
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

I use mine all the time...until I hit about 80.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #85
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I use mine all the time...until I hit about 80.
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #86
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

In germany I used all of them till 168 when the limiter kicked on...those were the days

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #87
Stoky
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Sorry, a big negative on both.
How does this compare to what you saw??

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/b...w-z4-roadster/
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #88
zoomzoomers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoky View Post
How does this compare to what you saw??

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/b...w-z4-roadster/
Nope. That one actually looks something like an evolution of the current Z.

Bruce Lee
Appreciate 0