New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

Car shuddering under acceleration. Best ignition coil?

My car begins to shake under any rapid acceleration at lower gears, and at any non-gradual acceleration at 6/7th gear. The shaking/shuddering continues until car is turned off and back on, where it functions normally again. It appears to be a classic symptom of failing ignition coils/spark plugs (41k miles so far with OEM coils, I have to assume). Any disagreement on the likely cause so far?

Anyhow, I'm about to order the combo since my car is just off warranty now (2014 MY). Which OEM brand for coils should I order: Bosch, Delphi or Eldor? The price is not a factor since different vendors sell them at varying price points.

Also, should I go with the standard OEM Bosch spark plugs or pick an aftermarket one for some improvement? And while I'm at this (I will have a shop perform all this, of course) should I opt for throttle body cleaning? What else should I bundle in (and equally important, what should I avoid -- if any) with this ideally?

Thanks for your input in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
sounds like you are describing misfire/half-engine light.

As far as what to get, if you are paying a shop you will get what they carry and warranty.

But, without any troubleshooting as to why you are getting a misfire, and which cylinder(s), you may fix the problem and you may not.

It could be an injector issue, or High Pressure Fuel pump.

Your best bet is to tell the shop the symptoms and pay them to fix it. If they do exactly what you tell them to do you may solve nothing and have to go back.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Your best bet is to tell the shop the symptoms and pay them to fix it.
I'd go one step further. Intake cleaning is a known issue, as are the plugs & coils (especially at this mileage). If one is bad (coil/plug), I would step up and have all of the above things completed at once.

Pull the codes though - this should be a somewhat easy issue to troubleshoot. At least you know going in...
Appreciate 0