New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13468
Rep
6,880
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Arrivabene out at Ferrari

The long rumored change has finally been announced. Arrivabene out, Binotti in as Ferrari Team Principle. Savage article by Will Buxton on the official F1 site. Here are a couple of excerpts:

"Despite Arrivabeneís initial public-facing moves being to play up to the fanbase and exude an aura of inclusion and friendliness, his first decisions, as observed by those of us who work inside the paddock, were completely at odds with the smiles and bravado. The walls, both physical and metaphorical, were quick to go up around the team. But far from creating a safe environment in which the once mighty outfit could rebuild, it appeared that what was being built was a system built on the fear of failure.

For some, Arrivabene was seen as little more than a Marchionne puppet and a man who simply did as he was ordered by a boss determined to obliterate the long shadow left by Luca di Montezemolo and establish his own legacy on the brand. Yet for others, the style of Arrivabeneís leadership was seen as being entirely of his own making. Those that had known him throughout his time with the teamís longest standing partner believed that what they were witnessing was the true side of the man, now emboldened by power and position."

Ouch.

Cheers-mk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
2,933
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brenham TX

iTrader: (0)

Good. Vetted lost the title rather than Lewis won it. Vettel was so far ahead before the summer break and then the collapse.
Appreciate 1
MrPrena1512.00

      01-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13468
Rep
6,880
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Good. Vetted lost the title rather than Lewis won it. Vettel was so far ahead before the summer break and then the collapse.
Not really...Lewis broke Vettel 2 years in a row. This year was especially bad since Ferrari had the faster car for much of the season. Even Luca di Montezemolo stated that Ferrari would have won had Lewis been driving. Everyone agrees that 2018 was the best season Lewis has ever had.

He destroyed Ferrari and Vettel...utterly crushed them.

Cheers-mk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
2,933
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brenham TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Not really...Lewis broke Vettel 2 years in a row. This year was especially bad since Ferrari had the faster car for much of the season. Even Luca di Montezemolo stated that Ferrari would have won had Lewis been driving. Everyone agrees that 2018 was the best season Lewis has ever had.

He destroyed Ferrari and Vettel...utterly crushed them.

Cheers-mk
Ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #5
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
415
Rep
1,522
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

He wasn't up to the challenge
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #6
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
203
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: F87
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: 949

iTrader: (0)

i saw this comment on jalopnik, it was so clever and fitting that ill put it here, its something along the lines of "a manager taking out a pitcher after 5 hitters reach base on 5 errors by the short stop"
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 03:14 AM   #7
FC4
Colonel
1369
Rep
2,756
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: May 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Good. Vetted lost the title rather than Lewis won it. Vettel was so far ahead before the summer break and then the collapse.
Admittedly, I'm a casual F1 fan eager to get more into it. Curious to hear you expand on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
2,933
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brenham TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Admittedly, I'm a casual F1 fan eager to get more into it. Curious to hear you expand on this.
Ferrari were ahead by the summer break. Ferrari had faster car. Ferrari didnít win the titles. Ferrari has a four time champion. Thatís my take.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #9
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13468
Rep
6,880
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Ferrari were ahead by the summer break. Ferrari had faster car. Ferrari didnít win the titles. Ferrari has a four time champion. Thatís my take.
All true. Yet they finished ahead of the 2nd Silver Arrow.

Lewis crushed Vettel in the 2nd half of the season. Germany was the beginning of the end and the deathblow was administered in Monza. It was well and truly over but for the possibility of massive mechanical failures.

In the wonderful autobiography of General Chuck Yeager he discusses the time he did a test flight of the Russian MiG 15. One of his compatriots said that it was a piece of junk and the F-86 would kill it all day. General Yeager said no, it's really up to the pilot because the performance is so similar. His colleague disagreed so they went up with the General flying the F-86 first and he got a simulated kill on the MiG. They then swapped aircraft and General Yeager killed the F-86.


It's the same case with Ferrari vs. Mercedes for 2018. The cars performed so closely that the operator is the difference and Lewis simply showed that his is the best driver of his generation and probably the GOAT.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1475
Rep
4,202
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Not really...Lewis broke Vettel 2 years in a row. This year was especially bad since Ferrari had the faster car for much of the season. Even Luca di Montezemolo stated that Ferrari would have won had Lewis been driving. Everyone agrees that 2018 was the best season Lewis has ever had.

He destroyed Ferrari and Vettel...utterly crushed them.

Cheers-mk
What are the rules on engine development during the season ? is there unlimited development allowed by the manufacturer or are things tampered down for the poorer teams.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #11
Techno 9000
Second Lieutenant
77
Rep
213
Posts

Drives: 435D Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: East Sussex

iTrader: (0)

The rules limit development for all.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
uniqueMR
Colonel
uniqueMR's Avatar
United_States
1196
Rep
2,534
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Very good decision and Ferrari needs championship badly.
__________________
Currently: BMW M4 Competition
Previous BMWs: 340i, M3, 740i, 745Li
Previous Others: Audi, Ducati, Honda, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Volkswagen
Appreciate 2
MKSixer13467.50
MrPrena1512.00

      01-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
alexbrown5a
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2020 440i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

I just joined and there's a message saying i need to do "1 post reply" and wait 1 hour to have my membership upgraded and become a full fledged member. Does this reply qualify? Am i doing this right? LOL hopefully....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #14
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
2,933
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brenham TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
All true. Yet they finished ahead of the 2nd Silver Arrow.

Lewis crushed Vettel in the 2nd half of the season. Germany was the beginning of the end and the deathblow was administered in Monza. It was well and truly over but for the possibility of massive mechanical failures.

In the wonderful autobiography of General Chuck Yeager he discusses the time he did a test flight of the Russian MiG 15. One of his compatriots said that it was a piece of junk and the F-86 would kill it all day. General Yeager said no, it's really up to the pilot because the performance is so similar. His colleague disagreed so they went up with the General flying the F-86 first and he got a simulated kill on the MiG. They then swapped aircraft and General Yeager killed the F-86.


It's the same case with Ferrari vs. Mercedes for 2018. The cars performed so closely that the operator is the difference and Lewis simply showed that his is the best driver of his generation and probably the GOAT.
No doubt Lewis dominated the second half and got the title. Great work by MB and Lewis. Will be at COTA again this year for F1/motogp and now IRL.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer13467.50

      01-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #15
3798j
Lieutenant
3798j's Avatar
328
Rep
480
Posts

Drives: E86 3.0si
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Susquehanna Valley

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Certainly wish Binotto well. I prefer engineers running race teams...and speaking more on that, it's remarkable the similar appearance of Mattia Binotto to "the last total engineer", Mauro Forghieri, the team principle, head engineer, and car designer for Ferrari in the 60's & 70's.
Attached Images
   
__________________
'08 3.0SI, '14 S5, '64 & '85 Corvettes, '66 TR4A, '68 GT6, '55 F100

Appreciate 1
MKSixer13467.50

      01-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #16
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13468
Rep
6,880
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What are the rules on engine development during the season ? is there unlimited development allowed by the manufacturer or are things tampered down for the poorer teams.
Engine development is pretty open within the strictures of the rules. The real money is spent on aero as a result of it being a bit of a black art.

And, especially for the manufacturers, engine development is pretty easy to hide in larger operations.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #17
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
five_timer's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Good. Vetted lost the title rather than Lewis won it. Vettel was so far ahead before the summer break and then the collapse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Ferrari had the faster car for much of the season.
Ferrari never had the faster car, never. Even when they narrowly took pole, they clearly didn't have the race pace that Mercedes had. Vettel was ahead due to good luck for him, and bad luck for HAM. Eventually, the luck runs out, and Vettel was left throwing hail Marys. He knew that his only hope was to take chances. But it's like playing the card tables; in the long run, the house always wins.

I like how everyone craps all over Vettel, yet he's obliterated both RAI and BOT for 2 years straight. IMO, Vettel is among a small number of drivers (along with Alonso) that can consistently split the Mercs, and leave his teammate in the dust.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
a90
Private First Class
Netherlands
66
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: F10 M5, E88 125, E70 X5, R1150
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Vennep

iTrader: (0)

You mean his teammate who still is the last Ferrari champion ?
__________________
BMW E88 125 - 2008
BMW F10 M5 - 2016
BMW E70 X5 3.0d - 2007
BMW R1150r Rockster - 2003
Mercedes LP2223 - 1970 (http://www.lp2223.com)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #19
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
2,933
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brenham TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Ferrari never had the faster car, never. Even when they narrowly took pole, they clearly didn't have the race pace that Mercedes had. Vettel was ahead due to good luck for him, and bad luck for HAM. Eventually, the luck runs out, and Vettel was left throwing hail Marys. He knew that his only hope was to take chances. But it's like playing the card tables; in the long run, the house always wins.

I like how everyone craps all over Vettel, yet he's obliterated both RAI and BOT for 2 years straight. IMO, Vettel is among a small number of drivers (along with Alonso) that can consistently split the Mercs, and leave his teammate in the dust.
Five timer wisdom right there folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #20
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
five_timer's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Five timer wisdom right there folks.
Thanks?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #21
madmax240
Private First Class
63
Rep
109
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (0)

This will be interesting. Arrivabene was exhausted by the end of last year. so a change in the team is likely a net positive. as long as the change to Binotto is not too disruptive. Leclerc joining will very likely put pressure on Vettel. I think it could go either way for Ferrari. IMHO, I think the odds on LH taking another WDC shortened a little.

Too many variables right now. who knows, Bottas could implode and never be in the right position to be the wingman. leaving LH exposed to 2 fast ferrari cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #22
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
4729
Rep
5,349
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

It has to really hurt losing a job like that. I mean most occupations etc. at least have the opportunity for lateral movement if you quit/get fired, but where do you go after being the Team Principal at Ferrari?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST