New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #45
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
BMW couldn’t give them away. If I remember correctly, couple years ago they even had $99 lease specials.
Dang 99 a month is a no brainer, that's cheaper than a cell phone bill.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #46
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
I think it’s great AndreyATC is here and speaking his opinion on Tesla. We are in the M3/4 vs whatever section.

I am a BMW enthusiast but like to hear the other side in these threads. Whether it be Tesla, Porsche or Mercedes etc. Again, for daily driving I still feel a Tesla makes sense for me here in LA. I like autopilot and not dealing with the gas stations here. Range of 300 miles is still as much gas as I get from my M3.

I want to add I am not getting rid of my M3s for the Tesla. Just going to keep the Ms for weekends and track.

Last edited by Takumi587; 05-29-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18663.00
      05-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #47
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Zero time charging EV batt argument is like this video:

Hey electron travels faster with Kool-aid though
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #48
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Confused with your question...
How many miles M3 can do on the full tank at the track vs. city driving?
Tesla can probably do 400, but on track is still anknown
As for charging, i guess you can have a 40-min lunch while your car gets 80% of charge
In the summer, charging time will be cut down to a half. So you can just have a coffee while charging.
Tolstoy may be a good idea still, but you won't get far with your book
Sorry you're confused by my post. I was just sort of pointing out that the 310 mile range which is often mentioned almost in the same breath as those astonishing performance results, gives the impression that the Tesla can do both at the same time, when it cannot.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #49
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I don't care if the Tesla 3 is faster than an m3/4, I'd still take the m3 without hesitation or second thought. Never mind an m3, I'd happily take a 340/440i over a Tesla 3 as well, even if the price of the Tesla was reduced to that of the 3 series.

Also, electric cars aren't as environmentally friendly as we like to believe. Where does the energy to charge that battery come from? Ultimately it's derived from power plants. About 63% of the electricity produced in 2017 came from power plants run on fossil fuels (US figures). Nuclear power plants provided 20%, and all combined renewable fuels contributed about 17%.

Regardless of whether you drive a car with an ICE or battery, driving a certain distance will still lead to carbon emissions, whether directly from the exhaust with a traditional ICE, or from the increased demand on power plants to produce sufficient energy to charge batteries. Additionally we should expect nuclear waste production to increase. I don't see this as exactly eco-friendly. At best, it's just partially converting the environmental impact to a different threat.

This isn't even speculating on how roads populated with all, or mostly, e-cars would impact demand on the infrastructure. Would this lead to building more power plants to meet the higher demand? Would most of the new plants be powered by fossil fuels or cleaner sources? Would the nation tolerate more nuclear power plants? Who is ok with them being in your back yard? How many new plants would run on renewable fuel sources, and what limitations exist on building renewable fuel plants (best locations for solar, wind turbines, coastal areas for tidal energy etc).

From what I've witnessed, wind, solar, and other renewable sources of energy require large, unsightly panels or turbines that meet stiff opposition where proposed. Everyone thinks it's a wonderful idea, but nobody wants a wind mill farm in their backyard, or turbines in their beaches. It's great as long as someone else is making the sacrifice.

To me it seems like e-cars mostly just serve to satisfy requirements born of short-sighted legislation. I suppose, at best it might be our first baby steps on the way to better long term solutions, but I have a hard time believing that it's a ground breaking solution.
If you wanna talk environment, you'll find this thread home for you
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1402190
Also, Are you a friend of Fundguy1 by any chance?
Very much alike against cleaner future.

Now,
If i charge my car with dirtiest possible fuel source, i'd still be cleaner, than ICE. You think gas just magically appears at the gas stations?

Fortunately, 1/4 of my roof has solar which produces 110% of my needs.
As more clean energy comes to the environment, the cleaner the grid becomes.
More and more population is installing solar to offset their electric bill, or just simply to be carbon-free household.
Tesla superchargers already utilize solar carports and soon most (if not all) charging station will be carbon free

You're entitled to have your opinion on the TM3 vs M3, so constructive conversation is very appreciated, especially if we stay on topic

Thank you
I looked into this a little further, and from what I gather the carbon footprint of an EV compared with a modern ICE run car isn't always substantially cleaner, or cleaner at all. It's complicated though because a lot is dependent on several variables, the most influential probably being the type of power plant you're plugged into. As we know, many states and localities depend upon coal power plants for energy. In this case, an EV won't ultimately be cleaner than any ICE car. When everything, within reason, is factored into the calculations (energy cost to refine and transport gasoline, producing EV vs IBE cars, producing the EV battery etc) EV are still likely cleaner than a powerful sports car or pick up truck, but is not cleaner than a typical, relatively efficient, modern car (around 30mpg). We're not talking the most fuel efficient IBE cars here either. Even a 340i in ecopro mode can achieve close to 30mpg.

On the other hand, if your local power-plant uses natural gas, that number increases to the point where it gives hybrids a run for the money. Obviously if you normally have the opportunity to plug into a station that's tied into renewable energy, or have solar panels on your home, an EV will be nearly impossible for any IBE or hybrid to match.

As I suspected, there is the issue of efficiency during the charging process as well (of course since no system can be 100% efficient). The process was relatively efficient in most quality EVs - though there appears to be variability among cars (even within the same make and model) with some being much less efficient for whatever reason. Variables such as temperature, electrical current, age or state of the battery, length of time the car is left plugged in after achieving 100% charge, among other things can also affect the efficiency with which the battery charges. Apparently if the car is left plugged in after the battery achieves 100% charge, the system will discharge the excess energy. This obviously can waste a fair bit of energy.

Basically, EVs can range from being reasonably clean to extraordinary dependent on many variables (especially the local power plant) but it's not as simple as assuming that an EV will be cleaner for every driver in any circumstance. Some states still rely heavily on coal and petroleum based power plants to power their grids, so results will vary... Some drivers might improve their carbon footprint more by driving a small fuel efficient IBE car or traditional, non-plug in hybrid.

To be fair, and transparent, the above figures are based on some (what I assume) were somewhat rough calculations. I didn't pull them from a peer reviewed, scientific journal. The general message makes sense though.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #50
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
How did you get a 240 lease payment on the i3, how much down?
Nothing down, other than 7 MSDs. I don't remember if I paid fees upfront, or rolled them into monthly payment.
I was just playing the incentives game, and still left a bit on the table for my SA. Back in 1Q'16 the following held true (discounts and rebates are even better now):
$47,275 MSRP - $7.5K Fed credit - $1K xDrive credit - $1.5K fleet credit - $250 = $37,025 purchase /cap cost.
64% residual, 1.56% interest (MSD = 0.00065) --> $241.14 monthly.

You can do even better these days:
https://insideevs.com/lease-51695-bmw-i3-112-per-month/

Quote:
I hope they get very serious about EVs.
I fear they might be battery constrained to be able to "pump" these out at the same rate as Tesla does
BMW AG is both battery (Samsung) and carbon-fiber (Quant family is their only supplier) constrained, so the current i3/i8 architecture is the end of the line. From 2021 onward, it will be traditional bodies with EV drive train.

Quote:
Basically, EVs can range from being reasonably clean to extraordinary dependent on many variables (especially the local power plant) but it's not as simple as assuming that an EV will be cleaner for every driver in any circumstance.
All true - but it really does not matter.
I bought my EV because its dirt cheap and cool.
If it saves environment a lot, or a little, along the way - I'm fine either way.

a
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      05-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #51
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
I looked into this a little further, and from what I gather the carbon footprint of an EV compared with a modern ICE run car isn't always substantially cleaner, or cleaner at all. It's complicated though because a lot is dependent on several variables, the most influential probably being the type of power plant you're plugged into. As we know, many states and localities depend upon coal power plants for energy. In this case, an EV won't ultimately be cleaner than any ICE car. When everything, within reason, is factored into the calculations (energy cost to refine and transport gasoline, producing EV vs IBE cars, producing the EV battery etc) EV are still likely cleaner than a powerful sports car or pick up truck, but is not cleaner than a typical, relatively efficient, modern car (around 30mpg). We're not talking the most fuel efficient IBE cars here either. Even a 340i in ecopro mode can achieve close to 30mpg.

On the other hand, if your local power-plant uses natural gas, that number increases to the point where it gives hybrids a run for the money. Obviously if you normally have the opportunity to plug into a station that's tied into renewable energy, or have solar panels on your home, an EV will be nearly impossible for any IBE or hybrid to match.

As I suspected, there is the issue of efficiency during the charging process as well (of course since no system can be 100% efficient). The process was relatively efficient in most quality EVs - though there appears to be variability among cars (even within the same make and model) with some being much less efficient for whatever reason. Variables such as temperature, electrical current, age or state of the battery, length of time the car is left plugged in after achieving 100% charge, among other things can also affect the efficiency with which the battery charges. Apparently if the car is left plugged in after the battery achieves 100% charge, the system will discharge the excess energy. This obviously can waste a fair bit of energy.

Basically, EVs can range from being reasonably clean to extraordinary dependent on many variables (especially the local power plant) but it's not as simple as assuming that an EV will be cleaner for every driver in any circumstance. Some states still rely heavily on coal and petroleum based power plants to power their grids, so results will vary... Some drivers might improve their carbon footprint more by driving a small fuel efficient IBE car or traditional, non-plug in hybrid.

To be fair, and transparent, the above figures are based on some (what I assume) were somewhat rough calculations. I didn't pull them from a peer reviewed, scientific journal. The general message makes sense though.

And recycling LiIon batteries packages to be less hazardous materials are zero emission too

Similar, argument on using more Ethanol from corn, after harvest the corn stalks are ground up and left to decay on the fields. Oh decaying organic materials emitting Methane, which is 4 worst as green house gas as CO2.

Next, how about bio-diesel from palm seeds, yeah the farmers in Amazon and Borneo clear the fields by burning it when they rush to plant more palm trees as demand rises. That rain forest fires is zero emission too
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #52
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Zero time charging EV batt argument is like this video:

Hey electron travels faster with Kool-aid though
Ran out of arguments much?
I mean, bringing up Kool-aid as often is kind of amusing
May wanna try something less original...

And yes, electrons travel faster, especially when i'm asleep
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #53
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
And recycling LiIon batteries packages to be less hazardous materials are zero emission too

Similar, argument on using more Ethanol from corn, after harvest the corn stalks are ground up and left to decay on the fields. Oh decaying organic materials emitting Methane, which is 4 worst as green house gas as CO2.

Next, how about bio-diesel from palm seeds, yeah the farmers in Amazon and Borneo clear the fields by burning it when they rush to plant more palm trees as demand rises. That rain forest fires is zero emission too
Found good read for you
https://www.tesla.com/blog/teslas-cl...ycling-program

And just because you're ignorant enough not to read a few posts above, here you go
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=35

https://blog.ucsusa.org/rachael-neal...-emissions-953

2018 data below:
https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmu...to-get-cleaner

Last edited by AndreyATC; 05-29-2018 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #54
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Nothing down, other than 7 MSDs. I don't remember if I paid fees upfront, or rolled them into monthly payment.
I was just playing the incentives game, and still left a bit on the table for my SA. Back in 1Q'16 the following held true (discounts and rebates are even better now):
$47,275 MSRP - $7.5K Fed credit - $1K xDrive credit - $1.5K fleet credit - $250 = $37,025 purchase /cap cost.
64% residual, 1.56% interest (MSD = 0.00065) --> $241.14 monthly.

You can do even better these days:
https://insideevs.com/lease-51695-bmw-i3-112-per-month/
I think that article is fairly older. Do you know what the current discounts and rebates are now? 2.5k+250 doesn't seem like a lot.
Appreciate 1
Dthltm77.00
      05-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #55
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The anti battery guy's know that petroleum doesn't come from the friendliest places, right? I keep seeing arguments that compare full product development of an EV to an ICE car with the gas magically refined and delivered to a gas station. Back it up to the source, including extraction and delivery to the dock, shipping across oceans burning bunker fuel and delivery to a refinery and delivery to the pumps and EV's don't look so bad.

While 33% of the US electricity is from coal, much of it is for rural areas that aren't the ideal fit for an EV anyway. It's certainly a potential issue for the rust belt, but CA uses coal for less than 0.1% of its power generation. In TX it's 26.3%, but the bulk of that is generated for rural communities so an EV is likely charging on Nat Gas, Nuclear or Wind. NY is 2%, PA is 27%, WV is 94%. You can use eai.gov to find where your state's power comes from and you can probably get more details on your monthly utility bill.
Appreciate 1
jmg18663.00
      05-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #56
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Show me on this puppet where the bad EVs touched you.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      05-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #57
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
How did you get a 240 lease payment on the i3, how much down?
Not the OP, but here's my payment, exec demo, zero down, max MSDs:

After insurance and fuel savings it's a free car.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #58
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Not the OP, but here's my payment, exec demo, zero down, max MSDs:

After insurance and fuel savings it's a free car.
Wow details?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #59
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:
Wow details?
Yeah tell me more. I'd consider getting one of these things under the right financial circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #60
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow details?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthltm View Post
Yeah tell me more. I'd consider getting one of these things under the right financial circumstances.
MSRP was ~$50k. It was an executive demo with loyalty, fleet, federal incentive, and $1200 in MSDs.

Outgoing 2015 on a 24/10k lease so they were willing to deal. ~$10k off before rebates. Similar deals were had on the outgoing 2017s earlier this year, but without MSDs.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #61
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
MSRP was ~$50k. It was an executive demo with loyalty, fleet, federal incentive, and $1200 in MSDs.

Outgoing 2015 on a 24/10k lease so they were willing to deal. ~$10k off before rebates. Similar deals were had on the outgoing 2017s earlier this year, but without MSDs.
I never considered the car due to the short range and I figured it was still 400-500 a month to lease one even though they were selling poorly. Had I known it was 150-250 I probably would have gotten one to daily drive even though it's hideously ugly.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #62
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I never considered the car due to the short range and I figured it was still 400-500 a month to lease one even though they were selling poorly. Had I known it was 150-250 I probably would have gotten one to daily drive even though it's hideously ugly.
It's ugly, but I've grown to like it because of how pleasant it is to drive. Much better than most of the 330i, 530i loaners I've gotten. It's a Range Extender, so I don't have any range anxiety. They are selling poorly, expect the leases to look a little better in the months to come. The 2017s were a steal, if you can still find one jump on it.

Appreciate 0